Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I'm changing my front pads and considering having the discs done also. Does anyone know who manufactures the OEM discs and pads? Also, any recommendations please? I've read mixed review of brembo, for example.

brembo are a leading make and original equipment for some cars.  However, it has been suggested that some of those on sale are not genuine and this could account for some unfavourable reports.  Also, brembo may not be the best choice for some cars.  I had disc/pad problems with two other leading manufactures on my BMW which was solved by buying OE from BMW.  If you can buy either from Lexus or the manufacturer they buy from you can't go wrong but otherwise you have to be lucky, maybe get the opinion from an independent on what they have successfully fitted.

Hi Barry. I no longer use my local Indy, following attempts over several days to contact him, and three broken promises to call me back. I don't care how busy you are, you don't treat customers like that

1 hour ago, harrylime said:

Hi Barry. I no longer use my local Indy, following attempts over several days to contact him, and three broken promises to call me back. I don't care how busy you are, you don't treat customers like that

What a let down.  Hopefully somebody will respond who has fitted and can recommend alternatives.

Worth looking at the calipers and how well they are operating I had mine refurbished at the same time. I used Big Red but would not ever use them again as they sent both rear calipers back with holes in and they had to replace them, and within under a year a front caliper bleed nipple started leaking which again was sent back!

• Sad 1

On 8/2/2021 at 9:51 PM, Barry14UK said:

Brembo are a leading make and original equipment for some cars.  However, it has been suggested that some of those on sale are not genuine and this could account for some unfavourable reports.  Also, Brembo may not be the best choice for some cars.  I had disc/pad problems with two other leading manufactures on my BMW which was solved by buying OE from BMW.  If you can buy either from Lexus or the manufacturer they buy from you can't go wrong but otherwise you have to be lucky, maybe get the opinion from an independent on what they have successfully fitted.

Hi Barry - Do you have any experience of brembo - do they have extra bite compared to original?

19 hours ago, Tinonline said:

Check Lexus Parts Direct in Swindon https://lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/

I’ve bought OEM fronts and rears at very good value. 

I messaged them two days ago, still waiting for a response. Not having much luck with people getting back to me atm

28 minutes ago, harrylime said:

I messaged them two days ago, still waiting for a response. Not having much luck with people getting back to me atm

Thats very unusual of them - I always get a reply the same day

LPD have them listed on the website: Lexus LS Phase 2 Front Brake Set | 43512-50152/04465-50220 (lexuspartsdirect.co.uk)

24 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

Thats very unusual of them - I always get a reply the same day

LPD have them listed on the website: Lexus LS Phase 2 Front Brake Set | 43512-50152/04465-50220 (lexuspartsdirect.co.uk)

Thanks for that Mark. The brake pads are £65 so that seems like a good deal. I'll be inspecting my discs in the morning, if I can find out what the original thickness of the discs was. Regards

11 hours ago, cruisermark said:

Hi Barry - Do you have any experience of Brembo - do they have extra bite compared to original?

I’ve used brembo and they’re good. Got a front pad set for my Alpha 155 sport and that’ll stop so well the body will leave a couple of subframes in the road…😁 also on my ex car XKR. But I’d only buy from reputable, well known distributors.

brembo have come in to the mainstream so I do wonder about who owns the brand and at what cost vs quality given to expand.

The OE give excellent mileage and performance. The price deals mean it’s worth replacing discs after a few pad changes…especially at the front.

1 hour ago, mercbon said:

The OEM brakes are good enough for normal street driving.

Mine has aftermarket pads and discs and although the initial bite is very good, they do tend to fade and groan when coming to a stop hence the question- still in two minds as the brakes have very little mileage on them

11 hours ago, cruisermark said:

Mine has aftermarket pads and discs and although the initial bite is very good, they do tend to fade and groan when coming to a stop hence the question- still in two minds as the brakes have very little mileage on them

Yes I’ve often been ok with aftermarket but had a bad experience with squeaking pads that proved to be a quality issue and an Indy Merc garage saying that they’d had similar and just stuck to OE.

OE Lexus are part ceramic so I wouldn’t say without any noise but tend to not fade and you know you get a given quality.

My XKR had incredible braking, so much so I had to not to brake hard late generally as a car behind me would not be able to do same if they hadn’t kept their distance…or were paying attention…many years ago I collected a Vauxhall Cavalier on to my Porsche Targa 911 spoiler as I full stopped at traffic lights.

OE is great as it fits, lasts and performs well and is a no brainier if a price deal. I know this gets tough when prices are at super silly…I’d look at US and ensure ceramic content…not cheapest…

For the 200,000 miles I've been driving LS430s I've always bought my discs and pads from the spares department at my local Lexus main dealer. Make friends with the spares manager and ask for a discount, they are not overly expensive.

Lexus spent millions developing these cars and the standard setup is spot on. If you buy cheaper or high performance parts you are taking a risk, and I've had some disasters in the past. Stick with the original setup and it will have the same brakes as it had when it came out of the showroom.

John N

• Like 4

On 8/2/2021 at 8:23 PM, harrylime said:

I'm changing my front pads and considering having the discs done also. Does anyone know who manufactures the OEM discs and pads? Also, any recommendations please? I've read mixed review of Brembo, for example.

For the last 12 months or so I've been buying EBD pads and discs from https://www.ebcbrakeshop.co.uk/ for a variety of cars. I would recommend them. That said, I am a fan of the OEM route but the last set of genuine Toyota/Lexus front pads I bought squeaked like you wouldn't believe. Possibly because I was just replacing pads but I'm going to swap them for EBD and see if that improves things.

7 hours ago, harrylime said:

Does anyone know the thickness of original lexus fron brake discs? Mine are 28mm , not sure whether that indicates some wear

Just looked at the Service Data Sheet for the LS430. It just says brake pads have got to be more than 1 mm thick, front discs more than 28 mm thick and rear discs more than 14.5 mm thick. I think these are the absolute minimum figures at which the brakes will work!

John N

• Like 1

I've replaced 2 sets of discs and need to do a third. Originals lasted 20k till shaking, blueprint, 10k till starting to shake and pagid 20k. I'm going to try originals again as the pagid ones are now shaking unacceptably. Best pads used so far were Ferodo Premium, but they seen unobtainable now, pagid pads are very dusty. 

Pete

14 hours ago, Malc said:

PETER, could it be coz yours is a DHP ?

Malc

I wouldn't think being a DHP would make any difference. Looking at options, I may try EBC this time as i'm not sure how much longer i'll be keeping the car.

Pete