Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

brake discs should last way longer than that. I'd be looking at the caliper mounts and elsewhere for the root cause of the shaking.
I don't doubt that the discs are being worn unevenly causing the shaking, but what is causing the uneven wear?

It's difficult to comment first hand on what is best when it comes to discs and pads because a number of factors come into the equation. Some are more important than others and can conflict and you can't get any that satisfy everybody and every use.  Some object to too much dust being produced, too much noise, short life, great expense, early fade, (particularly if towing a heavy caravan) or for heavy braking type o driving/conditions.  So manufacturers tend to compromise to settle for something that is best suited to the car.  You wouldn't fit the expensive ceramic brakes fitted to some Porsche cars on an RX for example (even if this was possible).  So horses for courses and for general use it's a better bet to stick with what the car manufacturers have tested and settled for.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2021 at 11:43 AM, BigBoomer said:

Brake discs should last way longer than that. I'd be looking at the caliper mounts and elsewhere for the root cause of the shaking.
I don't doubt that the discs are being worn unevenly causing the shaking, but what is causing the uneven wear?

Not getting any shaking, they work perfectly, I simply thought they may be due for changing

11 minutes ago, harrylime said:

Not getting any shaking, they work perfectly, I simply thought they may be due for changing

I think he was replying to Plastic Orange.

• Like 2

On 8/11/2021 at 5:20 PM, shanra said:

I think he was replying to Plastic Orange.

In that case normal servicing and cleaning will suffice unless you get an MOT advisory or a warning light…or you want to proactively change stuff because you want to get your hands dirty and make use of an offer you can’t walk away from…🧐👍😆

My first Honda Legend (almost as heavy as the LS and front wheel drive) front discs lasted 110k miles and still were not at their wear limit.
I replaced them because the calipers were leaking so whilst I had the calipers refurbished I decided to replace the discs at the same time.

I inspected the discs on the LS after I bought it (91k miles) and in the intervening 38k miles they have worn just under 1mm. At the current rate they will need replacing in about another 60k miles. The discs are stamped 30mm which is normally the minimum thickness. I have no idea if they are the OEM discs or have already been replaced. They are REALLY hefty vented discs on the front (same as they were on my Honda) which would be damned near impossible to warp.
They can sometimes wear strangely, but only if you have either really crappy pads, or the caliper is twisting under load.

I've just ordered EBC discs and pads to give these a try. Looking back my records, the Pagid discs have actually done 30k, so that's not too bad. Although I'm hoping to sell my car, I'd feel more comfortable selling it with new parts. I priced up getting the discs skimmed on the car, and the charge for this was £120, so for an extra £19 I've got new discs and pads.

Pete

At 96,000 miles all my discs are still the original factory fitted ones, there is no perceptible wear lip on them or scoring on the contact surfaces.

The front pads have been replaced 3 times, the second replacement was with EBC pads but the dust was excessive so I replaced them again with OEM pads shortly afterwards.

The rear pads have been replaced once.

• 3 weeks later...

Replaced the LS400 (1991) discs front and rear with drilled/grooved models from USA. Prices very good. Search Fleabay for plenty of parts dealers over there, carefully measure your old discs and cross check dimensions before you order (even my Mk1 had 2 variations I found, despite matching chassis numbers!). The heavy old beast now STOPS . . . .

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links