Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What type of Snow foam applicator

ALAW

I've been inspired to have a go at using snow foam. Having read Vlads topic on washing the car and then The Brechin slate topic on snow foam failure and all the thread contributions. So what do i buy to put the snow foam on with. Do i buy something i attach to the hose pipe or something i attach to the pressure washer, what's best.  My pressure washer is a Spear & Jackson and it has a detergent bottle attached. Would that suffice ?. Appreciate your contributions.

1 hour ago, ALAW said:

My pressure washer is a Spear & Jackson and it has a detergent bottle attached. Would that suffice ?

My initial reaction is to give it a try!

So to start with the minimum initial outlay, I'd be inclined to get the Snow Foam first and see how you get on with the S&J.

There's a huge Foam selection, but when I had my car detailed it was with Aenso products and I've stayed with them.

Products – AenProducts – Aensō UK (aenso.co.uk)

I use the POLARIS Snow Foam for a general wash and the ONE Pure Shampoo now and then to augment the ceramic finish that I had applied.

I used to use my Karcher pressure spray but I found the setting up somewhat tedious.  But you may feel differently!  So what I got instead was a Foam Cannon that simply connected to the normal connector on the garden hose.

CleanYourCar - Foam Cannon | Foam Wash Gun

This is the foam cannon I use. It's £35 but apparently currently out of stock! But they have others.

It seems to work just fine with the garden hose pressure.

As the site name suggests, they do a good line in all car cleaning and detailing products.  So you'll soon be into the two bucket / wash mitt method.

One thing to bear in mind about snow foam.  It may be counter intuitive, but don't pre-wash the car before initially applying it.  Apparently water on the car's surface actually forms a barrier layer that prevents the foam doing its job.

So spray on the foam first; leave about 15 minutes and then wash off.  Then reapply foam and wash down with wash mitt before washing off again.

What you do then is up to you and depends on how much more time you want to spend on it.  And what other products (eg polishes, ceramic coatings) you want to use.

You might just want to use a drying towel and get on with your life!

Here are a couple of YouTube links you might find interesting.  Or possibly not!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 8/4/2021 at 2:11 AM, LenT said:

My initial reaction is to give it a try!

So to start with the minimum initial outlay, I'd be inclined to get the Snow Foam first and see how you get on with the S&J.

There's a huge Foam selection, but when I had my car detailed it was with Aenso products and I've stayed with them.

Products – AenProducts – Aensō UK (aenso.co.uk)

I use the POLARIS Snow Foam for a general wash and the ONE Pure Shampoo now and then to augment the ceramic finish that I had applied.

I used to use my Karcher pressure spray but I found the setting up somewhat tedious.  But you may feel differently!  So what I got instead was a Foam Cannon that simply connected to the normal connector on the garden hose.

CleanYourCar - Foam Cannon | Foam Wash Gun

This is the foam cannon I use. It's £35 but apparently currently out of stock! But they have others.

It seems to work just fine with the garden hose pressure.

As the site name suggests, they do a good line in all car cleaning and detailing products.  So you'll soon be into the two bucket / wash mitt method.

One thing to bear in mind about snow foam.  It may be counter intuitive, but don't pre-wash the car before initially applying it.  Apparently water on the car's surface actually forms a barrier layer that prevents the foam doing its job.

So spray on the foam first; leave about 15 minutes and then wash off.  Then reapply foam and wash down with wash mitt before washing off again.

What you do then is up to you and depends on how much more time you want to spend on it.  And what other products (eg polishes, ceramic coatings) you want to use.

You might just want to use a drying towel and get on with your life!

Here are a couple of YouTube links you might find interesting.  Or possibly not!

Thank you Len for the detailed info appreciated. Yes i think i will try the detergent bottle what comes with my S&J pressure washer ill have a go and see how it does. I have used auto glymn products for as long as i can remember. Today i looked and watched the various videos they do. There snow foam is called polar blast its part of a series there are other polar products for wash after the blast and a finisher that puts a protective sheen on. The polar blast applicater gun is 40 quid. What i found interesting was it comes with a connector fitted for a Karcher K series but say they have other connectors in there accessories list. They didn't have a S&J so i rung up they said contact your manufacturer. Anyhow thats another issue so ill buy some snow foam from somewhere and try it in the detergent bottle. It appears to me that using a pressure washer is better than a hose pipe with a nozzle attached. I wont be doing it soon anyway im in agony with arthritus in my foot thanks for info.

12 hours ago, ALAW said:

i think i will try the detergent bottle what comes with my S&J pressure washer

The advantage of the Snow Foam gun or Lance is that you get a range of pressure controls and often a selection of spray nozzles too.  But it makes sense to see if you want to continue before you spend more getting all the other stuff.

And there is a LOT of other stuff!

12 hours ago, ALAW said:

I have used auto glymn products for as long as i can remember.

I'm delighted to learn that Brent.  I used to write the magazine ads for Autoglym!

I have also come across a Lexus Washing Guide with detailed instructions on how they think it should be done.  You can read about it here.

https://mag.lexus.co.uk/ultimate-car-cleaning-guide/

It may even invalidate your Lexus Warranty if this is not followed precisely - although I may have just made that bit up.

But here's one interesting comment from it:

"Always wash from the roof of the car downwards in order that released dirt only travels in one direction and cannot be reapplied. And if you accidentally drop your wash mitt on the floor, exchange it for a fresh one."

It's the way I've always done it, but I do see some 'experts' who claim you should start from the bottom.  It probably doesn't make a great deal of difference!

13 hours ago, ALAW said:

im in agony with arthritus in my foot

I have some sympathy, Brent, as I have a slight touch of that in the left ankle.  It's one reason why I now appreciate having an automatic!

I bought one like this www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224509002505?hash=item3445c78309:g:Bt8AAOSwfWpg1Fgo   It`s ok If you don`t have a pressure washer with a snow foam applicator. But you don`t get quite the same strong foam, but it`s fine with just a hose. Detailers will want to invest in a karcher and snow foam lance.

I use Bilt Hamber Auto Foam. It's cleaning power is well documented - Forensic detailing channel on YouTube is a good reference point for all things car detailing.

I used to use Autoglym Polar Blast - it was great for causing an avalanche on the driveway! It's cleaning power was not very great!

I use a pump sprayer now rather than foam cannon. That way any snow foam you use isn't being excessively diluted by your pressure washer. Plus it's a lot easier than having to calculate dilution ratio's / Panel Impact Ratios (PIR) depending on the brand of snow foam.

My pump sprayer was £5 from Wilko!😀

Remember it isn't the "foam" action of the product that does the actual work of removing dirt before you do your contact wash. It's the actual surfactants / ingredients of the product instead.  

Check out Bilt Hamber products - they are great value, last ages, actually do work, well regarded by those in the know. 

(I don't work for them before you ask! But since lockdown last year and countless hours of YouTube detailing watching, knowledge of the humble art of washing and maintaining clean paintwork has become an obsession. My wife is not a happy lady!🙅‍♀️)

• Like 1

I use the same Bilt Hamber snow foam....and find it great. Dirt comes out of places you didn`t know you had. I used it in the hose adapter and with a hand pump sprayer....both ways work just fine.

3 hours ago, Sled Driver said:

I used to use Autoglym Polar Blast - it was great for causing an avalanche on the driveway! It's cleaning power was not very great!

I completely agree. Personally would not recommend that product to anyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All Thanks for the info and tips. Well i firstly had a go with using the detergent bottle that is inbuilt in the spear & jackson pressure washer absolute total waste of time i got nothing coming out at all. I was all set to go and purchase a Auto glym polarblaster and some polar blast. I noticed on the AG website it was ready to work on a karcher but other accesories were available. I had a look but no accesories for my S &J. I rung AG up and they said i would need to contact your manufacturer. So now after reading your comments on here about polar blast i think i will give it a miss. I aint a big fan of Karcher either. Bilt Hamber seems to be a favorite a UK company i believe. Birthday soon so requested a lance from my son. Ill keep you posted thanks very much for your input.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ALAW said:

Hi All Thanks for the info and tips. Well i firstly had a go with using the detergent bottle that is inbuilt in the spear & jackson pressure washer absolute total waste of time i got nothing coming out at all. I was all set to go and purchase a Auto glym polarblaster and some polar blast. I noticed on the AG website it was ready to work on a karcher but other accesories were available. I had a look but no accesories for my S &J. I rung AG up and they said i would need to contact your manufacturer. So now after reading your comments on here about polar blast i think i will give it a miss. I aint a big fan of Karcher either. Bilt Hamber seems to be a favorite a UK company i believe. Birthday soon so requested a lance from my son. Ill keep you posted thanks very much for your input.

Brent you won't regret switching to Bilt Hamber Auto Foam. I also use Bilt Hamber Auto Wash for the contact phase after. After many years of trying other brands I'm sticking to these two. Plus being a British company its a bonus! I had a Karcher K2, then later upgraded to a K4. No issues so far. I had a foam cannon from IODETAIL so depending on how I feel, I use either that or my pump sprayer.

Car detailing is a journey like Life in general. You'll make mistakes as you go along. However, you'll have success too! At least you are doing it yourself rather than using the petrol station automatic carwash. Or worse still, those £5 car wash places! :no:

• 1 month later...

Evening folks hopeyour all ok. Update as to where i am at the moment. My lad bought me a lance unfortunately it doesnt fit the Spear & Jackson pressure washer. I seethat there are a myriad of snow foam lance adapters on the market not come across one yet specifically for a S&J washer. Have ordered of eBay for an adapter hopefully here next week or so. The daughter has bought me some Bilt hamber on your reccomendations all ready to go when i can get the lance to fit and work. More complicated than you would think. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well i finally got to use the lance and Bilt hamber foam. Firstly i did get a connection fitting off eBay to fit the lance it worked perfectly. The car was covered beautifully and completely with the foam got a smashing spray pattern. I thought it didnthold long enough maybe i was at fault and should have adjusted the control for more foam. i powerwashed it off and then used the 2 bucket technique with some auto glym i had. I have the BH auto wash which i shall use next time. Think i need to practice more with the foam adjustment on the lance but overhaul i thought my first attempt went ok.

• Like 2

On 10/13/2021 at 11:52 PM, ALAW said:

Well i finally got to use the lance and Bilt hamber foam. Firstly i did get a connection fitting off ebay to fit the lance it worked perfectly. The car was covered beautifully and completely with the foam got a smashing spray pattern. I thought it didnthold long enough maybe i was at fault and should have adjusted the control for more foam. i powerwashed it off and then used the 2 bucket technique with some auto glym i had. I have the BH auto wash which i shall use next time. Think i need to practice more with the foam adjustment on the lance but overhaul i thought my first attempt went ok.

Practice makes perfect! 😉

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I had another go with the foam got a lovely spread and a good coating but i just think it dissapeared too easily ran off would have thought it should have stayed on a bit longer before running down. I turned the gun to allow more foam as well. Practice i suppose.

The Bilt Hamber foam is quite runny by nature and not as thick as others I have tried. It's cleaning power is unrivaled though so it's my preference.

That said, it should still cling/dwell to the paint for about 5-10mins before becoming ineffective. I've always applied it with the foam lance at max strength by having the adjustment knob turned fully in the + direction. 

• Like 1

@ALAW there are many things to improve on and get a better foam.

Without listing the obvious "upgrade your kit" advice, try simply warming up the 1L mix by either keeping it in the bucket of warm water (if you use warm for washing your car) before spraying or boiling a kettle and using that to mix up with the foam in a ratio of choice.

Your dilution ratio may need playing with as well. Generally, I'd maybe try a different chemical? I found the ValetPRO Ph-N Foam to be very good in the bubbles division.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, -Error- said:

@ALAW there are many things to improve on and get a better foam.

Without listing the obvious "upgrade your kit" advice, try simply warming up the 1L mix by either keeping it in the bucket of warm water (if you use warm for washing your car) before spraying or boiling a kettle and using that to mix up with the foam in a ratio of choice.

Your dilution ratio may need playing with as well. Generally, I'd maybe try a different chemical? I found the ValetPRO Ph-N Foam to be very good in the bubbles division.

Interesting this time i did warm the mix with water from kettle. Yes im going to try the ratio different next time. Regarding the chemical im told that others may be better. What ive done it just doesnt seem to stay on car for long

• 8 months later...
On 11/2/2021 at 3:45 PM, J Henderson said:

The Bilt Hamber foam is quite runny by nature and not as thick as others I have tried. It's cleaning power is unrivaled though so it's my preference.

That said, it should still cling/dwell to the paint for about 5-10mins before becoming ineffective. I've always applied it with the foam lance at max strength by having the adjustment knob turned fully in the + direction. 

Thanks John will do that next time on the lance.

The S&J washer packed in just as the 3 year warranty expired. Bought another washer Kranzle. Im using Bilt Hamber foam and it does a great job of cleaning. Ive hand washed with the BH auto wash you only need a tea spoon. However my next move is to go contactless. Going to give one of them Hydro ceramic washes a go. Thanks for all your input. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links