Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

49 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Super One Traders.

Queried these guys earlier today about the following IS250 advertised as "FULL LEXUS MAIN DEALER SERVICE HISTORY."

spacer.png

It has Lexus Edgeware stamps until 2018.. then nothing to a recent indie July 2021.

1 hour ago, markeyszoo said:

I also did not trust the last service record which I think was performed, or not, by a mate.

"Official Service!" at Wer**** Motor Garage, per chance?

Mmmmmmm interesting. The last service stamped in the book on my car was from Toyota and funnily in Edgeware too. Then an 18 month gap before I got it serviced at Lexus Stockport. Taking it in again for a Major service on Friday the 13th lol. Glad I'm on a service plan.

When did you purchase yours? Many cars haven't had a service since 2020 due to lockdowns. The example I've shown was sourced at auction probably many of these are Lexus trade in stock not good enough / too slim margin for the forecourt.

Warning : never trust 'service stamps' unless buying from a trusted source!

In my car hunt I've encountered three shifty scenarios :

1. Faked service stamps. Very convincing looking, but a rubber stamp isn't hard to facsimile (even a potato one 😂 ) increasing the resale value of a car by several thousand pounds! Verify with a service dept if possible.

2. Conversely, verified services stamps a Lexus dealership claimed were fraudulent. What happened was the owner previous to the seller knew a Lexus mechanic and had his work done on the side. How do I know this? The seller accidentally revealed the previous owners contact details including phone number, so I called him and he explained this and verified the cars history for me (which I confirmed later, eg he mentioned it had been traded in to Porsche and Porsche acknowledged this and named the person etc). When I explained to this prior owner that Lexus refuted the stamps, he immediately produced a legitimate invoice on official Lexus paperwork showing the service showing costs for parts and nothing for labour. Clearly that branch didn't want to acknowledge that this had occurred.

3. Erroneous 'fake stamp' in service history. With another vehicle, the service dept refuted one of the stamps validity, indicating that the car in question had missed it's major 60k service (sparks etc) and claimed that stamp must be fake. However I contacted the accounts departments who produced an invoice for the work donem which went into great detail. In that case, the information will not have been entered onto the computer system at the point of service.

I guess this is why Mazda and others are going digital..  

Hi Paul. Very interesting what you just posted. I bought my car last few days of last June 2020. Yes the service book was full of lexus stamps but what I did was to get from the log book the Varient number. Or was it Version. Anyway its the number required when you register a car on the Lexus website service history page. I did that and found all stamps were genuine and also found my car had 2 new brake calipers fitted a few years back and a new water pump too. 

It's a good idea to get the variant/version number from the selling dealer and get on the Lexus website and check the cars service history. If your happy then buy, if not then you know why not to. You can always unregister the car once all info gained.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Hi Paul. Very interesting what you just posted. I bought my car last few days of last June 2020. Yes the service book was full of lexus stamps but what I did was to get from the log book the Varient number. Or was it Version. Anyway its the number required when you register a car on the Lexus website service history page. I did that and found all stamps were genuine and also found my car had 2 new brake calipers fitted a few years back and a new water pump too. 

It's a good idea to get the variant/version number from the selling dealer and get on the Lexus website and check the cars service history. If your happy then buy, if not then you know why not to. You can always unregister the car once all info gained.

Ah..! Good tip on the Lexus website

Getting the VIN number can help verify the spec of car too

I'm sure the issues I mention are rare btw, and probably indicative of someone doing 'too much' due diligence.. 😂

16 hours ago, PJD69 said:

"Official Service!" at Wer**** Motor Garage, per chance?

although advertised as recently serviced the book had no stamp for over a year. Just dodgy dealing. i think every car he sells gets the same advert.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2021 at 5:21 PM, MX5V6 said:

Hi all, a quick question for you all...

I'm looking to buy an IS250 SE-L with the ML sounds system. Now my question is, what should I expect to pay for it? I ask as I've viewed 7 now, and have been unimpressed by almost all of them which leads to to believe I've not grasped how much these should be, or we live in a world of chancers!

Ideally of course, I want a pristine example for as little as possible. But an example with some wear and tear outside would also be fine - though I do like a nice interior and the car to be mechanically sound.

As an example of since I've seen,  I give you:

09 plate, 132k on the clock, honestly advertised for £3.6k but a bit too worn for me.

58 plate, 48k miles, no working aircon, horrible paint and wheel refurb (done for the pictures according to the seller!), £8k.

08 plate, 34k miles, reasonable interior, bad rear bumper respray, front bumper not fitting well, very swirly paint, £8k.

06 plate, 60k miles, nice condition, needed new brakes, developed a loud interior trim rattle on the test drive that the seller couldn't guarantee would be fixed before collection. The best one I've seen £5.6k.

Apologies for the long post, but what should I be looking at to get a nice SE-L, without dodgy dealer paint jobs etc and ideally post sep07 build date?

Many thanks

if you can wait a year, mine will be available and you wont be disappointed with probably the best example available then (even now as a matter of fact!)

18 hours ago, ahmed-abrar said:

if you can wait a year, mine will be available and you wont be disappointed with probably the best example available then (even now as a matter of fact!)

Thanks for the offer, but I think a year might be a little too long unfortunately!

On 8/8/2021 at 3:45 PM, Mr Vlad said:

Just on the subject of alcantara. Someone who has contributed to this thread hates the stuff. Fair enough. But unfortunately that poster is full of BS where alcantara is concerned. Alcantara is used in premium cars sports cars mainly. I've had 5 cars with alcantara middles. Alcantara is a fabulous comfortable material. It's highly resistant to UV rays which leather isn't. It's really easy to keep clean. Just saying.

Hopefully I don't need to apologise for not liking alcantara?

It being used in premium cars is kind of irrelevant, sure it looks like suede and people confuses alcantara with it, so car makers can get away with using something what is cheap and pretend it is premium - win-win. Suede is underside of natural leather and thus is much softer and comfortable. Alcantara in most basic term is fake suede and indeed it is made from polyester and polyurethane, it is plastic and it is extremely cheap to make, just slightly more expensive than fake lather vinyl.

Same as I don't like fake leather interiors, at the same time I don't like alcantara, because it is type of fake leather as well. When it comes to point of practical application of it, that is another story - many synthetic surfaces are often more practical... in some cases plastic is better than wood, rubber is better than leather  etc. But what I don't like is alcantara being regarded as "premium" or "luxurious" material - which it isn't. it is very cheap plastic which is nice to touch and may be confused with suede. To be fair my dislike for alcantara mostly stems not from material properties itself, but because I don't like being sold fake and cheap thing for the price of real, natural and expensive thing.

If people like it, then it is absolutely not a problem - it is their choice and they can choose to sit on anything they like.

As for IS in particular, the issue is not only alcantara, but that F-sport doesn't have ventilation function as well. 

On 8/6/2021 at 7:42 PM, PJD69 said:

Queried these guys earlier today about the following IS250 advertised as "FULL LEXUS MAIN DEALER SERVICE HISTORY."

spacer.png

It has Lexus Edgeware stamps until 2018.. then nothing to a recent indie July 2021.

it done only 2k miles between MOTs 02 aug 18 - 14 apr 21

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

I was in the same position as you, but tomorrow I am finally going to collect precisely what I was looking for.
It took the best part of a year and eventually settled on a 07 SE with 44k in what I can only describe as a time capsule.
The car was sourced from a lady in Leeds who used it for about 3k a year with FSH from the local dealer. I had to see and pass many ropey examples, but that is the name of the game.
The IS250 auto is a dying breed and to find one in almost new condition is a task and a half; luckily, I have more time this year after changing to work from home. The previous owner replaced the example I found for some awfully grey electric VW, which I think will probably sit in the same garage next decade.
There are many people who could afford the Lexus brand, kept them hardly used for years and now switching to EV's meaning more good examples are coming online, so keep an eye.
My criteria were to have a stock car without the useless infotainment system. I can't tell the difference between the ML stereo and the stock Pioneer, so this made it easy as I excluded those from the search. 
Pics to come soon.

I paid 6k in total which is ok for a minty car.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2021 at 9:19 PM, Sundance said:

The list of excluded Lexus engines on Government website (and I quote) ...

"E10 petrol is cleared for use in all Lexus European petrol models made from Jan 1998, excluding:

IS250 2.5 litre V6 with engine 4GR-FSE made between Aug 2005 and Sep 2007

• GS300 3.0 litre V6 with engine 3GR-FSE made between Jan 2005 and Sep 2007

• LS460 4.6 litre V8 with engine 1UR-FSE made between Aug 2006 and Sep 2007."

Mines 2009 can use e10 older can still use super unleaded but at cost

On 8/4/2021 at 9:19 PM, Sundance said:

The list of excluded Lexus engines on Government website (and I quote) ...

"E10 petrol is cleared for use in all Lexus European petrol models made from Jan 1998, excluding:

IS250 2.5 litre V6 with engine 4GR-FSE made between Aug 2005 and Sep 2007

• GS300 3.0 litre V6 with engine 3GR-FSE made between Jan 2005 and Sep 2007

• LS460 4.6 litre V8 with engine 1UR-FSE made between Aug 2006 and Sep 2007."

Mines 2009 can use e10 older can still use super unleaded but at cost not been on site for ages .what new 😂😂😂

Well waited for Danny. Enjoy it.

Re E10 in our none eligible cars. I asked a lexus tech when I took my car in for its service and MOT and he said its likely to be the fuel lines being if a different rubber compound. More Informative than the guy behind the service desk.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2021 at 6:35 PM, Mr Vlad said:

About 100 foot away from where he parks his cars is a garage who I know he knows. That garage looks dodgy and I suspect they do any quick fixes for him.

Funnily I did a review on him late last week and it isn't showing. So I did another today. Was sick at looking at the myriad of 5* reviews lol.

probably from his family or his one of multiple user accounts

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links