Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Are we likely to see a hydrogen IS300?

Mincey

The real challenge with widespread BEV ownership will be how the government recoups the loss of fuel duty. There are many discussions going on about how this happens, some of which we do hear about and some we don’t I would think. The motorist has been a cache cow for successive governments for a very long time and this will continue in some form.

5 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

The real challenge with widespread BEV ownership will be how the government recoups the loss of fuel duty. There are many discussions going on about how this happens, some of which we do hear about and some we don’t I would think. The motorist has been a cache cow for successive governments for a very long time and this will continue in some form.

oh come on !!! it's so easy peasy ............  as soon as the cash cows ( fuel duty take ) start to dry up the next will be the BEV cash cow .......  suitable road tax and " purchase " tax to make up for the lost fuel duty etc

for heavens sake don't imagine for one jot of a second that BEV will escape with other than a formidable tax imposition at some stage down the line

Malc

11 minutes ago, Malc said:

oh come on !!! it's so easy peasy ............  as soon as the cash cows ( fuel duty take ) start to dry up the next will be the BEV cash cow .......  suitable road tax and " purchase " tax to make up for the lost fuel duty etc

for heavens sake don't imagine for one jot of a second that BEV will escape with other than a formidable tax imposition at some stage down the line

Malc

Exactly this, agreed. The motorist will still be an easy target. Always has been, always will be.

Widespread BEV ownership may lead to higher prices for electricity. Fuel duty on petrol and diesel just morphs into a fuel duty on electricity perhaps. There won’t be an inexpensive and therefore sustainable way of accurately determining how each unit of electricity is being used so there could just be a tax on each unit of electricity passed onto all consumers.

So we've got home yesterday from the road trip, 1020 miles in total. Google says 18hrs+ of driving without taking taking into account random sight seeing trips. 

51379269313_02b997ee76_c_d.jpg

51377967540_399ff92b87_c_d.jpg

We took our EV because it was easier and nicer than taking our IS300H, infant the trip was so easy am once again seriously considering ditching the IS300H for a new BEV despite financially not making sense. I simply just cannot stand having to visit petrol stations anymore.

If/When any hydrogen fuel cell car become as convenient and easy to live with as our BEV I might consider one, but till than I'll stick to a car based on a technology that works today😀.

Road trip to Norway for 2022, cannot wait!!

PS - We didn't end up using the Fort William Tesla Super charger 🙂

51373607396_eeac5d659a_k_d.jpg

51372867347_240da746e7_k_d.jpg

51373635026_97b1ec715c_k_d.jpg

1 hour ago, Malc said:

The UK doesn't have road tax, which is a bit strange. VED is purely emissions based, which is a bit weird.

Some other countries have a system of taxing cars for road usage based on their weight (plus emissions layer), which makes more sense as the heavier your car, the more damage you do to roads - which do require maintenance.

1 minute ago, dublet said:

I do believe that model has a beep going on when those doors are open.

Oh, I'm sure it does.

I am just impressed that the driver either ignored it or didn't hear it, especially as there isn't any engine noise to drown it out 🙂

1 hour ago, dublet said:

VED is purely emissions based,

and I can assure you that the lower the emissions the more likely the VED will be ..........  just to amass the big fortune the lack of petroleum revenue tax will reduce

Don't think for one minute that the revenue raising will matter one jot on the emissions levels ........  it's purely on ability to pay  ...  hehehehe .........  Tesla owners, rich as they are, won't miss the big big VED tax take for sure

Malc

51 minutes ago, Malc said:

and I can assure you that the lower the emissions the more likely the VED will be ..........  just to amass the big fortune the lack of petroleum revenue tax will reduce

Don't think for one minute that the revenue raising will matter one jot on the emissions levels ........  it's purely on ability to pay  ...  hehehehe .........  Tesla owners, rich as they are, won't miss the big big VED tax take for sure

Malc

If you believe that will happen than surely it makes sense to get an EV NOW??

The government rarely back dates new VED polices to older cars, so any EV now that is VED £0 will likely remain so for the reminder of the time they are on the road. Our Tesla have 'free for life' electricity, and 'free for life' connectivity, both of which Tesla now charge ££ for. I therefore have very little incentive to ever sell ours. 

4 hours ago, ganzoom said:

so any EV now that is VED £0 will likely remain so for the reminder of the time they are on the road.

methinks you're living in  " cloud cuckoo land "   if you really believe that of any Govt intent on raising much needed revenue :unsure:

Malc

1 hour ago, Malc said:

methinks you're living in  " cloud cuckoo land "   if you really believe that of any Govt intent on raising much needed revenue :unsure:

Malc

And when was the last time VED changes were retrospectively applied? All the better reason to get an EV now!! You can keep on waiting for hydrogen infrastructure to develop, and keep on VED/fuel duty.

22 minutes ago, ganzoom said:

And when was the last time VED changes were retrospectively applied? All the better reason to get an EV now!! You can keep on waiting for hydrogen infrastructure to develop, and keep on VED/fuel duty.

If I get in one 'now' the cost to change would far exceed a decade of VED, probably two decades.

By that time you'll be in your next EV getting hammered by the EV tax.  

• Like 1

Wow, the UK government is signalling investment in a hydrogen economy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-58238367

"Today marks the start of the UK's hydrogen revolution.

Oh wow, that's promising! 🍿 Let's read for some actual targets!

20-35% of the UK's energy consumption by 2050 [..] hydrogen for heating our homes will not play a significant role before 2030.

Oh - that's not promising, nor is it ambitious..