Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Does anyone out there with and older Lexus know if it is possible to have a rear subframe fabricated.

I own a 2002 RX300  80,000 on the clock and have been advised that the rear sub frame may not pass the next MOT. Buying a 2nd hand one is a risk as it might be in a similar condition to mine. I have been told that a sub-frame cannot be welded so any help would be much appreciated as I do not want to part with the car.

3 hours ago, Vivienne said:

Does anyone out there with and older Lexus know if it is possible to have a rear subframe fabricated.

I own a 2002 RX300  80,000 on the clock and have been advised that the rear sub frame may not pass the next MOT. Buying a 2nd hand one is a risk as it might be in a similar condition to mine. I have been told that a sub-frame cannot be welded so any help would be much appreciated as I do not want to part with the car.

I would have thought having one fabricated is highly unlikely so a used one might be your only option. 

• Like 1

A good few years ago there was a guy on here named Chris - someone will remember his full name. He did AMAZING things to his RX and posted lots about it. Then his rear subframe failed the MoT. He was unable to fix that and then we never heard from him again. Maybe a search might take you to his posts ?

We had the same problem with our 2005 RX400. I took it to a local garage who I know do a lot of welding and fabrication and they were able to weld plates on to the subframe where it had corroded. They dropped the frame so that they could plate both sides. Might be worth ringing round to see if a local garage could do something similar. Good luck.

• Like 1

This may be a bit of a 'belt and braces' approach......

(And I've not needed to do it to a vehicle.....)

But how about sourcing a second-hand subframe - and then taking that one to a welderfor reinforcement. There's then plenty of time to check/renew bushes, protective paint treatments (etc) before replacing yours.

It may be a slightly dearer option than just having your existing one repaired - but you'll have plenty of time to make a sound job of it.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 11:53 AM, Vivienne said:

Mine rusted a bit... I just had it welded in-situ. Cost about £150.

Is it worth getting a second opinion on yours?

• Like 1

According to Amayama the rear subframe is no longer available and had it still been the cost is probably half the value of the car without all the other parts needed to replace it.

Getting hold of a decent secondhand one may also prove difficult and even that could require some remedial work before fitting.

I appreciate that rust prevention has moved on since the BL rot boxes of the 1970s but a premium brand manufactured in the mid 2000s with terminal chassis rot makes me wonder if these cars are designed for a maximum lifespan.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

if these cars are designed for a maximum lifespan

isn't it a 100k miles / 7 years ? assorted Manufacturers lifetime warranties and all that :unsure:

Malc

On 8/5/2021 at 11:53 AM, Vivienne said:

Did you come to any conclusions, Vivienne?

( Ironically, my car needs some welding for this current MOT...  opposite side to last year.) 

Thank you all for your help, but now I have another problem and the RX has developed a leak on the Power Steering system it seems a pipe has corroded under the engine and there is a drip leak. I have been told this could be very expensive to fix. I am now considering selling for spares or repairs - very sad. I will let everyone know what I decide after I get some quotes in for both the sub-frame and now the PS.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Vivienne said:

after I get some quotes in for both the sub-frame and now the PS.

I trust you might have a couple of local competent independent garage guys who will give you a sensible quote to keep you on the road

Whatever you spend repairing yours at 80k miles will be worth it compared to buying someone else's secondhand issues

Best wishes with it all

Malc

• Like 1