Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content


Negativity on this forum


Recommended Posts

 Well, it appears that there has been quite a lot of anger and tension on the forum lately ☹️

Perhaps I shouldn't bother adding anything, but I feel that perhaps I should also share my views, even though they aren't specifically related a single topic.

First, let me say, despite what it might appear like on this forum, that I like Linas and am glad he is on here.  I know this might surprise some of you, but I do think this forum is better off for him being on here.  My belief is that if everyone had the same opinions and views on everything then this place would be quite boring and a lot less active.

Like with any discussion media, if enough people get together, there will be differing views and perhaps some 'conflict'.  The recent 'SVU' thread has highlighted this perfectly and I am guilty of doing what I am suggesting, but the difference is that I never harboured any ill will on anyone and hopefully came across as not being annoyed because I truly wasn't during the thread.

Now, the reason I don't have any issues with Linas (and others on here) is because I accept them for who they are and understand that they aren't going to change what they are like just because I want them to.  In other words, there is no point continuing to argue a point once it has become obvious that an agreement isn't going to be reached.

It is also worth remembering that it takes two sides to have an argument and it is rare that the blame can be placed completely on one side.  One thing I can say is that I rarely see Linas be deliberately rude or calling others names, even after a prolonged debate, which can't be said for some other members.

Ultimately, what I am trying to get at is that if someone has a differing (negative) opinion on a subject, regardless of whether they are being bias or not, then they can claim such in any open discussion forums just as much as those that have positive comments.  Just because the post isn't positive - even thought it is always nice when it is - doesn't make it automatically wrong.

As an example from the most recent thread that kicked off, do I think the IS300h is a 'quick' car?  No.  Do I want more performance out of my cars for whatever reason?  Yes, hence me owning a GS450h as opposed to a GS300h.  These are simple statements that I could have made, but sometimes I can't be bothered to have to defend a statement that might cause some issues.

So, should certain topics appear, I would definitely expect Linas to express his opinions again (at least he is consistent 🙂) and would just read the posts and move on to the next one.  Constantly going around in circles serves no purpose, so why even try?

Anyway, it is my hope that this forum returns to its friendly, accepting ways soon (It has certainly been tense here lately) even if that means certain members making use of the 'ignore' function.

Thanks for reading 🙂

  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites



Sadly I will be ignoring some posts. You are right some people will not change but I do not like having opinion rammed down my throat as fact. Yes i am a bit cross with the way people's opinions are treated. Personally I try to be as forgiving as I can be, but sometimes one feels the need to make a stand. More than one member has done that already. I will continue to contribute but will refrain from commenting on some posts. This is the end of this issue as far as I am concerned.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good post 👍 , I will get my popcorn ready and wait for Linas to disagree with a huge post.......

 

Ooops too soon? 🤣

Only kidding, forums should be friendly and debate is good but sometimes trying to force your opinion on to others to agree is just never going to end well.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 8/6/2021 at 7:33 PM, Mr Vlad said:

That's one of the funniest posts I've read in a good while. Nice one. 

How so?

On 8/6/2021 at 8:28 PM, Spacewagon52 said:

Sadly I will be ignoring some posts. You are right some people will not change but I do not like having opinion rammed down my throat as fact. Yes i am a bit cross with the way people's opinions are treated. Personally I try to be as forgiving as I can be, but sometimes one feels the need to make a stand. More than one member has done that already. I will continue to contribute but will refrain from commenting on some posts. This is the end of this issue as far as I am concerned.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly agree that there are more 'tactful' ways of expressing an opinion, and I do believe that ultimately, for the lack of a better option, refraining from commenting is probably the best way.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

ho hum ....  I only ever see things in a positive light and am quite happy for people to be so so wrong whatever their reasons, stupid or otherwise ......  and it's a very rare occasion when I will mention the downright stupidity emanating from whomsoever .... live and let live is my motto in life and everyone can have their own opinion and observation and if it's a disagreeable one then we can just ignore and move on ..... after all, I just KNOW I'm right all the time :yahoo:

you are allowed to disagree of course and I won't take umbridge, nor instruct the mafioso to pop round and break your legs to stop you running away 😵

and of course we all know the Ls400 is the best Lexus ever made ever :yes:

Malc

men in white coats may appear anytime soon then ?

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I still find this forum reasonably well mannered. Just have a look at BMW or VOLVO forums that have a way more aggressive attitude. Also the depth of knowledge of most members here is impressive and outshines all other forums. ( the Volvo one is really depressing and utterly boring as the mods suppress any lively discussion). I like the open debate on all topics from our cars to the future of the automotive world and fuels, always something to learn.

Only wanted to say it is not all bad, is it?

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

To answer your question Shahpor. Your post did make me laugh. I really felt like posting ' go get a room you two' . But that would have been childish, which I can be sometimes (not bad for a 59 year young lol). I also felt you had a hint of a dig at me as so far I'm the only one on this forum who had enough of a certain member and told that member so. Oh I got a permanent warning for that. On the whole I just found it funny and said that. I am after all allowed to do that. 

At an aside. I found it rather childish that I was blocked from this thread. I was notified of a reaction on this thread so I went to have a look and hey ho ' oops your not allowed to view this thread'. That was a couple or more days ago.

Oh Malc. The is250 is the best car Lexus has made 😜

And I thought it was my post (Well said Shahpor and nicely put too.👍) which made Vlad laugh🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fully agree, nice place to be.

I suggest the question “Is the IS300h a quick car?” was a completely pointless question for most owners.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally, I think everyone should be involved in the "word association" thread, it's a most civilised place to be, the forum's gentle game of ping pong where no-one looses!

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Man: Is this the right thread for an argument?

Other Man: I've told you once.

Man: No you haven't!

Other Man: Yes I have.

M: When?

O: Just now.

M: No you didn't!

O: Yes I did!

M: You didn't!

O: I did!

M: You didn't!

O: I'm telling you, I did!

M: You did not!

O: Oh I'm sorry, is this a five minute argument, or the full half hour?

M: Ah! (taking out his wallet and paying) Just the five minutes.

O: Just the five minutes. Thank you.

O: Anyway, I did.

M: You most certainly did not!

O: Now let's get one thing quite clear: I most definitely told you!

M: Oh no you didn't!

O: Oh yes I did!

M: Oh no you didn't!

O: Oh yes I did!

M: Oh no you didn't!

O: Oh yes I did!

M: Oh no you didn't!

O: Oh yes I did!

M: Oh no you didn't!

O: Oh yes I did!

M: Oh no you didn't!

O: Oh yes I did!

M: No you DIDN'T!

O: Oh yes I did!

M: No you DIDN'T!

O: Oh yes I did!

M: No you DIDN'T!

O: Oh yes I did!

M: Oh look, this isn't an argument!

(pause)

O: Yes it is!

M: No it isn't!

(pause)

M: It's just contradiction!

O: No it isn't!

M: It IS!

O: It is NOT!

M: You just contradicted me!

O: No I didn't!

M: You DID!

O: No no no!

M: You did just then!

O: Nonsense!

M: (exasperated) Oh, this is futile!!

(pause)

O: No it isn't!

M: Yes it is!

(pause)

M: I came here for a good argument!

O: AH, no you didn't, you came here for an argument!

M: An argument isn't just contradiction.

O: Well! it CAN be!

M: No it can't!

M: An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.

O: No it isn't!

M: Yes it is! 'tisn't just contradiction.

O: Look, if I *argue* with you, I must take up a contrary position!

M: Yes but it isn't just saying 'no it isn't'.

O: Yes it is!

M: No it isn't!

O: Yes it is!

M: No it isn't!

O: Yes it is!

M: No it ISN'T! Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says.

O: It is NOT!

M: It is!

O: Not at all!

M: It is!

(The Arguer hits a bell on his desk and stops.)

O: Thank you, that's it.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mr Vlad said:

To answer your question Shahpor. Your post did make me laugh. I really felt like posting ' go get a room you two' . But that would have been childish, which I can be sometimes (not bad for a 59 year young lol). I also felt you had a hint of a dig at me as so far I'm the only one on this forum who had enough of a certain member and told that member so. Oh I got a permanent warning for that. On the whole I just found it funny and said that. I am after all allowed to do that. 

At an aside. I found it rather childish that I was blocked from this thread. I was notified of a reaction on this thread so I went to have a look and hey ho ' oops your not allowed to view this thread'. That was a couple or more days ago.

Oh Malc. The is250 is the best car Lexus has made 😜

Now now, there is a place in the room for you too if you want 🙂

Actually, I think I might have missed the post you are referring to as I certainly didn't have you in mind when I wrote it, and besides, I wasn't try to have a dig at anyone. (quite the opposite in fact).

As for the thread, you know it was removed from the forum so it wasn't just you that couldn't see it, right?  I also obviously appreciate them putting it back.

And you are both wrong since it is blatantly obvious that the GS450h is the best Lexus ever 😉

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

Personally, I think everyone should be involved in the "word association" thread, it's a most civilised place to be, the forum's gentle game of ping pong where no-one looses!

I wish I could, but for the sake of completeness, I wouldn't feel like I could possibly comment until I had read all the previous posts, and at 1666 pages, that might take me some time 🙂

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

Personally, I think everyone should be involved in the "word association" thread, it's a most civilised place to be, the forum's gentle game of ping pong where no-one looses!

loses. You`d upset the apple cart on that game Malcy.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dublet that post is by far the BEST post I've read on any forum anywhere. You win the prize for best post 🙌🏆

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

To answer your question Shahpor. Your post did make me laugh. I really felt like posting ' go get a room you two' . But that would have been childish, which I can be sometimes (not bad for a 59 year young lol). I also felt you had a hint of a dig at me as so far I'm the only one on this forum who had enough of a certain member and told that member so. Oh I got a permanent warning for that. On the whole I just found it funny and said that. I am after all allowed to do that. 

At an aside. I found it rather childish that I was blocked from this thread. I was notified of a reaction on this thread so I went to have a look and hey ho ' oops your not allowed to view this thread'. That was a couple or more days ago.

Oh Malc. The is250 is the best car Lexus has made 😜

@Mr Vladno One could see the thread… it had been hidden by the bosses but was reinstated earlier today so wasn’t the authors doing
you need to grovel and apologise now 😂 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Dublet that post is by far the BEST post I've read on any forum anywhere. You win the prize for best post 🙌🏆

No, it isn't.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dublet said:

Man: Is this the right thread for an argument?

Other Man: I've told you once.

Man: No you haven't!

Other Man: Yes I have.

M: When?

O: Just now.

M: No you didn't!

O: Yes I did!

M: You didn't!

O: I did!

M: You didn't!

O: I'm telling you, I did!

M: You did not!

O: Oh I'm sorry, is this a five minute argument, or the full half hour?

M: Ah! (taking out his wallet and paying) Just the five minutes.

O: Just the five minutes. Thank you.

O: Anyway, I did.

M: You most certainly did not!

O: Now let's get one thing quite clear: I most definitely told you!

M: Oh no you didn't!

O: Oh yes I did!

M: Oh no you didn't!

O: Oh yes I did!

M: Oh no you didn't!

O: Oh yes I did!

M: Oh no you didn't!

O: Oh yes I did!

M: Oh no you didn't!

O: Oh yes I did!

M: Oh no you didn't!

O: Oh yes I did!

M: No you DIDN'T!

O: Oh yes I did!

M: No you DIDN'T!

O: Oh yes I did!

M: No you DIDN'T!

O: Oh yes I did!

M: Oh look, this isn't an argument!

(pause)

O: Yes it is!

M: No it isn't!

(pause)

M: It's just contradiction!

O: No it isn't!

M: It IS!

O: It is NOT!

M: You just contradicted me!

O: No I didn't!

M: You DID!

O: No no no!

M: You did just then!

O: Nonsense!

M: (exasperated) Oh, this is futile!!

(pause)

O: No it isn't!

M: Yes it is!

(pause)

M: I came here for a good argument!

O: AH, no you didn't, you came here for an argument!

M: An argument isn't just contradiction.

O: Well! it CAN be!

M: No it can't!

M: An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.

O: No it isn't!

M: Yes it is! 'tisn't just contradiction.

O: Look, if I *argue* with you, I must take up a contrary position!

M: Yes but it isn't just saying 'no it isn't'.

O: Yes it is!

M: No it isn't!

O: Yes it is!

M: No it isn't!

O: Yes it is!

M: No it ISN'T! Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of anything the other person says.

O: It is NOT!

M: It is!

O: Not at all!

M: It is!

(The Arguer hits a bell on his desk and stops.)

O: Thank you, that's it.

Ah! The inventiveness and uniqueness of the Monty Python script writers 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Dublet that post is by far the BEST post I've read on any forum anywhere. You win the prize for best post 🙌🏆

I was left thinking: did he type it? or copy n paste it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership