Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Negativity on this forum

Shahpor

24 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

Seriously though, no idea why anyone would think the CT wasn't a Lexus, especially as it demonstrates the typical Lexus traits like reliability, comfort, good build quality, etc..

Indeed, I wonder who may have even suggested such a thing :whistling:.....now let me think.  

I've just seen this thread reappear btw.....haha. 

Goes to show great to have a range of cars -something for many if not most.  Tesla provide some very advanced cars, even if the body quality is sometimes lacking.  But not much of a range for a major producer and all electric which rules it out for some

Given the amount of hybrids and electric cars, there should be a lot of positivity too. Enough to balance out the negativity and keep one grounded. Perhaps get in contact with members and conduct some sort of survey. Though you'll get sparks in any case along with some resistance, as shocking as it may be.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dublet said:

Given the amount of hybrids and electric cars, there should be a lot of positivity too. Enough to balance out the negativity and keep one grounded. Perhaps get in contact with members and conduct some sort of survey. Though you'll get sparks in any case along with some resistance, as shocking as it may be.

Had to read that one twice to get it properly 🙂

• Like 1

Let’s not be too sensitive here. LOC is nothing like two BMW forums I used to frequent. Nothing like two Jaguar forums I also used to visit. And as for Pistonheads, I mean wow we are in kindergarten compared to that. I find LOC to be mostly perfect. I also like Linas despite my past disagreements with him. Then again I do like a lot of what he says although perhaps not always how he says it. It’s all just opinion though isn’t it and that’s just fine. I’ve always believed that rude and abusive behaviour should be met with a bit back the other way. Which is probably not right either because it stokes tensions. We need to be careful about trying to live in a world where we all have the same opinion and agree over everything. It’s just not possible. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, paulrnx said:

Let’s not be too sensitive here. LOC is nothing like two BMW forums I used to frequent. Nothing like two Jaguar forums I also used to visit. And as for Pistonheads, I mean wow we are in kindergarten compared to that. I find LOC to be mostly perfect. I also like Linas despite my past disagreements with him. Then again I do like a lot of what he says although perhaps not always how he says it. It’s all just opinion though isn’t it and that’s just fine. I’ve always believed that rude and abusive behaviour should be met with a bit back the other way. Which is probably not right either because it stokes tensions. We need to be careful about trying to live in a world where we all have the same opinion and agree over everything. It’s just not possible. 

Well said Paul 👍

• Thanks 1

On 8/6/2021 at 5:12 PM, Shahpor said:

Well, it appears that there has been quite a lot of anger and tension on the forum lately .

Well clearly I haven’t been paying attention.  But as a relative latecomer myself, I’m probably not well placed to comment on perceived changes.

But if changes there have been, then those points are well made in Shahpor’s OP.  The surprise to me is that they needed to be made in the first place.

After all, the only thing we may all have in common is that we once owned, or currently own, or are thinking of owning…a Lexus.  To expect that rather tenuous link to be accompanied by a commonality of attitudes is ambitious in the extreme.  It’s not something that we might demand from, say, Honda Lawnmower owners!

As for picking out a specific poster, I find that rather sad.  If the criticism was based on racist or nationalistic slurs, as happens on other sites, then there would be cause for righteous anger.  

But arguments over a car….really?!

Occasionally debates meander into more general, motor-related areas. Or even non-motor related.  And this site does seem to be blessed with more than its fair share of well informed and articulate contributors.  But I’ve always thought that if you cannot muster the evidence to debate an opposing opinion rationally, then you should consider the possibility that it may be right!

As it happens, I tend to read the post first before checking as to its author.  Although style and tone of voice might be a bit of a giveaway!

But there have been many occasions in real life when I’ve learnt much by dealing with people with whom I disagree.   It’s the difference between having your opinions or prejudices confirmed, or having them challenged.

So personally I agree there’s no place for the ‘anger and tension’ of which Shahpor complains.

More witty banter is what the world needs!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LenT said:

Well clearly I haven’t been paying attention.  But as a relative latecomer myself, I’m probably not well placed to comment on perceived changes.

But if changes there have been, then those points are well made in Shahpor’s OP.  The surprise to me is that they needed to be made in the first place.

After all, the only thing we may all have in common is that we once owned, or currently own, or are thinking of owning…a Lexus.  To expect that rather tenuous link to be accompanied by a commonality of attitudes is ambitious in the extreme.  It’s not something that we might demand from, say, Honda Lawnmower owners!

As for picking out a specific poster, I find that rather sad.  If the criticism was based on racist or nationalistic slurs, as happens on other sites, then there would be cause for righteous anger.  

Occasionally debates meander into more general, motor-related areas. Or even non-motor related.  And this site does seem to be blessed with more than its fair share of well informed and articulate contributors.  But I’ve always thought that if you cannot muster the evidence to debate an opposing opinion rationally, then you should consider the possibility that it may be right!

As it happens, I tend to read the post first before checking as to its author.  Although style and tone of voice might be a bit of a giveaway!

But there have been many occasions in real life when I’ve learnt much by dealing with people with whom I disagree.   It’s the difference between having your opinions or prejudices confirmed, or having them challenged.

So personally I agree there’s no place for the ‘anger and tension’ of which Shahpor complains.

Well I for one Len have never heard, seen or read Dr Chris Witty bantering have you or anyone else? 🤗

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Well I for one Len have never heard, seen or read Dr Chris Witty bantering have you or anyone else? 🤗

I can’t claim to know him that well, Philip.  But then I’ve never seen him driving a Lexus, either. 

I don’t like to pry. 😶

35 minutes ago, LenT said:

I can’t claim to know him that well, Philip.  But then I’ve never seen him driving a Lexus, either. 

I don’t like to pry. 😶

Is "driving" the most appropriate term I wonder? Is it far too generic? Perhaps we need something more definitive of the experience? I suggest "stepping out". Other suggestions eagerly sought 🙋

As to you not knowing Witty that well I believe his mother made the same observation 🤣

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LenT said:

Well said Len 🙂

As for arguments over cars, it can be a surprisingly sensitive subject, especially on car forums since they tend to get the more 'enthusiastic' owners.

With regards to debate meandering, well, those are some of the best topics!  Perhaps a bit unfair to the original poster, but it is often surprising on what tangent a discussion will progress and what tidbits are shared. 

• Like 1

Following is a quick selection of summary quotes from this thread:

“Well said…”  “… respectful…”  “…no place for the ‘anger and tension’ … “…witty banter…”  “…well informed and articulate…”  “…lot of positivity…” “…mild manner[ed]…”  “friendly and helpful…”  “…nicely put…”  “…civilised…” 

Yes, the LOC is a nice and useful institution clearly supported by nice, helpful and justifiably enthusiastic people, no question about it, but do I detect a self-congratulatory note creeping in?  

14 hours ago, LenT said:

It’s not something that we might demand from, say, Honda Lawnmower owners!

well, if you're throwing snidey remarks :yahoo:at my 3.6 ltr Honda Legend being a lawnmower, well, I never :wink3:

hehehehehehehe 

Malc

2 hours ago, Shahpor said:

Well said Len 🙂

As for arguments over cars, it can be a surprisingly sensitive subject, especially on car forums since they tend to get the more 'enthusiastic' owners.

With regards to debate meandering, well, those are some of the best topics!  Perhaps a bit unfair to the original poster, but it is often surprising on what tangent a discussion will progress and what tidbits are shared. 

🙋🤔Hang on a minute is this the same Shapoor who said, "

" I suspect we are getting into the nitty gritty of something that is perhaps not relevant to the general aim of this thread, but ok, one more go.

The line between proposition and assertion is a fine one that is very easy to confuse in any lengthy written discussion."

Oh, and for the avoidance of doubt, a proposition may be true or false, an assertion is one you hold out to be true🙆 

• Like 1

Yes, I myself have partaken of the diversion from the topic at hand, hence me saying it is unfair to the original poster.

53 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Oh, and for the avoidance of doubt, a proposition may be true or false, an assertion is one you hold out to be true🙆 

Are you trying to divert my thread using a diversion from another thread? 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

🙋🤔Hang on a minute is this the same Shapoor who said, "

" I suspect we are getting into the nitty gritty of something that is perhaps not relevant to the general aim of this thread, but ok, one more go.

The line between proposition and assertion is a fine one that is very easy to confuse in any lengthy written discussion."

Shapoor is not a Member Professor.🤣

11 minutes ago, dublet said:

Why are we investigating Shahpor's member? :unsure:

I'm sorry, what now? 

This thread is certainly take a strange turn 🙂

Anyone else got any comments on the negativity angle before it degenerates into a free-for-all? 😄

Just now, Shahpor said:

I'm sorry, what now? 

This thread is certainly take a strange turn 🙂

Anyone else got any comments on the negativity angle before it degenerates into a free-for-all? 😄

You started this Thread old matey.

Dublet is a new boy, but confident enough to stir things a little bit already, and

You are soon to be off to buy a new car for the first time, me thinks, which is a Planet Polluter...............so, let`s all be very respectful to each other...and I bid you both adieu!

• Like 1