Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Negativity on this forum

Shahpor

12 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

I inform that Shahpor is and trust/hope that he will continue in Membership upon receipt of his new vehicle.😜😜

That is certainly the intention 🙂

• Thanks 1

Just my two-pence worth.....

Like others have said, I find the LOC a lot more friendly than other car forums that I have frequented in the past.

I don't tend to stray much past the NX forum on here but do occasionally dip into other posts that are related to motoring in general (or those related to non-motoring subjects). I can't say that I have encountered any real hostility or anger in any of them but maybe I haven't stumbled upon the posts that Shaphor and others are referring to.

I find the LOC to be a useful resource for information-sharing and a nice place to "hang out" when I'm enjoying my morning's cuppa. I tend to classify the people on here similar to the majority of Lexus drivers I encounter on the road, i.e. courteous; friendly and well-informed. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Andy B said:

Like others have said, I find the LOC a lot more friendly than other car forums that I have frequented in the past.

I don't tend to stray much past the NX forum on here but do occasionally dip into other posts that are related to motoring in general (or those related to non-motoring subjects). I can't say that I have encountered any real hostility or anger in any of them but maybe I haven't stumbled upon the posts that Shaphor and others are referring to.

I find the LOC to be a useful resource for information-sharing and a nice place to "hang out" when I'm enjoying my morning's cuppa. I tend to classify the people on here similar to the majority of Lexus drivers I encounter on the road, i.e. courteous; friendly and well-informed. 

I suppose I should have added a little bit of context on my original post.  It is easy for me to forget, but when I say that things aren't good on this forum, I have to remember that it still isn't as bad as other forums I am on since it started much higher up in my estimation 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shahpor said:

I suppose I should have added a little bit of context on my original post.  It is easy for me to forget, but when I say that things aren't good on this forum, I have to remember that it still isn't as bad as other forums I am on since it started much higher up in my estimation 🙂

May I disagree with you! 😉

22 hours ago, Andy B said:

Spot-on Andy, for me it's a little like trip advisor reviews where I wrote recently regarding a hotel in Jersey and said "if you go with the intention of finding shortcomings no doubt you will so my advice is try Claridges or the George cinque (Bentley/RR) where you can find a better quality of problem" 🤗

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Spot-on Andy, for me it's a little like trip advisor reviews where I wrote recently regarding a hotel in Jersey and said "if you go with the intention of finding shortcomings no doubt you will so my advice is try Claridges or the George cinque (Bentley/RR) where you can find a better quality of problem" 🤗

Very true, Philip.

Sometimes the nature of the criticisms give a better insight into the character of the complainer than the location itself.  Especially if it’s one you know well.

And all restaurant comments should be taken with a large pinch of salt.

But one my current hobby horses are car reviews by (generally) self-appointed motoring experts.  But that’s possibly a meander too far from the original post.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, LenT said:

Very true, Philip.

Sometimes the nature of the criticisms give a better insight into the character of the complainer than the location itself.  Especially if it’s one you know well.

But one my current hobby horses are car reviews by (generally) self-appointed motoring experts.  But that’s possibly a meander too far from the original post.

Acute observation Len 👍

3 hours ago, LenT said:

Very true, Philip.

Reviews do make things difficult sometimes - especially on places like amazon when you aren't sure if they are even real or not.

Since reviews tend to fall into only two categories - people that like a product enough to spend the time to write one and other opposite for those unhappy - it can be tricky to determine if the product is actually any good or not.

As someone who does like to take the time to research into things before buying them, it is not always the most useful exercise to read reviews.

3 hours ago, LenT said:

As this thread seems to have run its course on the original topic, feel free to meander away 🙂

42 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Acute.................................one word or two ?🤣

Are you being obtuse? Or going off on a tangent? Luckily it's not a sin(e).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

Acute.................................one word or two ?🤣

I believe John, the word cute  is American English colloquial and student slang. Heaven for fend that I should use such a vernacular term in such illustrious company as your fine self 😱

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

I believe John, the word cute  is American English colloquial and student slang. Heaven for fend that I should use such a vernacular term in such illustrious company as your fine self 😱

“You have acute angina.”

“Oh thank you very much Doctor.”

(Courtesy the Carry On team)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, LenT said:

“You have acute angina.”

“Oh thank you very much Doctor.”

(Courtesy the Carry On team)

Marvellous Len, when skilful juxtaposition of English words can invoke such humour and admiration of the kind, "now why didn't I think of that"? Especially as you know each individual word but not in that sequence. One limerick I have always been envious of  the author is; The was a young lady from St Paul, Who went to a newspaper ball, Her dress caught fire, Burnt her entire, Front page, sporting section and all. 🔥🤣🔥🤣🔥🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Marvellous Len, when skilful juxtaposition of English words can invoke such humour and admiration of the kind, "now why didn't I think of that"? Especially as you know each individual word but not in that sequence. One limerick I have always been envious of  the author is; The was a young lady from St Paul, Who went to a newspaper ball, Her dress caught fire, Burnt her entire, Front page, sporting section and all. 🔥🤣🔥🤣🔥🤣

Not sure if the French, for example, wouldn't judge their double entendres to be an equally skilful form of wit. 

47 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

"There was a young lady from Bude

who went for a swim in the lake

Oh dear Philip, just what have you stared now?

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Rabbers said:

Not sure if the French, for example, wouldn't judge their double entendres to be an equally skilful form of wit. 

Fun fact, double entendres does not make sense in actual French.

53 minutes ago, Rabbers said:

As George W Bush famously opined "the trouble with the French is the don't have a word for entrepreneur" 🤣

44 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

"There was a young lady from Bude

who went for a swim in the lake

Oh dear Philip, just what have you stared now?

Hopefully, and paraphrasing the inimitable Flanders & Swann, 

LOC members are moral, and they are good, and clever and modest and misunderstood. 

And all the world over, each forums the same, they've simple no notion of playing the game, they argue with moderators, they cheer when they've won. And practice beforehand which ruins the fun 😎

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

As George W Bush famously opined "the trouble with the French is the don't have a word for entrepreneur" 🤣

Less widely known, Phillip, is the fact that he never actually said it!   It’s a story that appeared in the British Press in July 2002, generally sourced to Shirley Williams.  She claimed Tony Blair had told her he’d heard Bush say it during their meeting with Jacques Chirac.

It was denied by Blair and later by Alistair Campbell on his behalf, who said Williams must have made it up as a joke.

But if Bush had said it, he would have been right!  The original French meaning of the noun ‘entrepreneur’ ranges from contractor, builder and undertaker to theatrical manager.

The modern meaning was most likely coined by a modern American economist.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, LenT said:

Less widely known, Phillip, is the fact that he never actually said it!   It’s a story that appeared in the British Press in July 2002, generally sourced to Shirley Williams.  She claimed Tony Blair had told her he’d heard Bush say it during their meeting with Jacques Chirac.

It was denied by Blair and later by Alistair Campbell on his behalf, who said Williams must have made it up as a joke.

But if Bush had said it, he would have been right!  The original French meaning of the noun ‘entrepreneur’ ranges from contractor, builder and undertaker to theatrical manager.

The modern meaning was most likely coined by a modern American economist.

Crikey Len are you seriously asking this forum to believe a single syllable that emanates from the august bodies of Blair and Campbell? And I won't theorise from which part of the body they emanated from 😳 Thank-you for the etymology lesson most interesting and I also believe that the word is remarkably similar to one in Sanskrit 🤔

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

Crikey Len are you seriously asking this forum to believe a single syllable that emanates from the august bodies of Blair and Campbell?

What I would always ask, Phillip, is that opinions are based not on any preconceived attitudes towards the participants involved, but on what evidence there is to support a claim. 🙂

I recall looking into this at the time and what struck me is that, at a period when Franco-American relations were deteriorating and Chirac was facing political and personal pressures of his own, he would have been unlikely to miss this opportunity to mock Bush.  But he seemingly did.

I might also point out that if you are disinclined 'to believe a single syllable that emanates from the august bodies of Blair and Campbell?' that the source appears to be Shirley Williams - who wasn't at the meeting - who claims this was what Blair told her.

So either Blair was lying when he said it - in which case it is false - or he was telling the truth.  In which case you have to concede that he doesn't always lie!  :confused: