Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

E10 Fuel In NX

Yes, my NX does a couple more mpg on Tesco Millennium which is 5% and 100 octane.  The engine management has a lot more scope with higher octane fuel and will not knock the timing back as much under load.  I’m not usually an advocate of supermarket fuel (particularly diesel) but despite the Tesco stuff being about 7p a litre more expensive, it has its benefits.   

17 hours ago, Don C said:

Yes, my NX does a couple more mpg on Tesco Millennium which is 5% and 100 octane.  The engine management has a lot more scope with higher octane fuel and will not knock the timing back as much under load.  I’m not usually an advocate of supermarket fuel (particularly diesel) but despite the Tesco stuff being about 7p a litre more expensive, it has its benefits.   

That's just such misplaced snobbery. And an urban myth that fuel from a branded fuel station is better.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Al D-Much said:

That's just such misplaced snobbery. And an urban myth that fuel from a branded fuel station is better.

That’s your opinion.  You might be sensitive enough to be offended about brand snobbery on fuel (really?) but I base my comment on facts not emotions.  Use what you want, I don’t care.  

I refilled my RX with E10 for the first time.

MPG is usually about 23-24. Which is good for an old RX.

With the E10 it jumped to 27mpg.

Then, 26.

Then, 25.

Then...

Time will tell!

• Like 1

Don’t forget that as a general rule everyone’s fuel consumption will go up as the weather gets colder.  Every few degrees lower in ambient will see your cars lose another mpg even if there was no change in fuel whatsoever.  The comparisons need doing at a stable temperature to be representative as the engine management will be demanding richer fuel for longer during each warm up period.  Have another look late spring when you are getting back well into double figures and you’ll see it improve again.  At the moment you can’t compare apples with apples.  

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Don C said:

Don’t forget that as a general rule everyone’s fuel consumption will go up as the weather gets colder.  Every few degrees lower in ambient will see your cars lose another mpg even if there was no change in fuel whatsoever.  The comparisons need doing at a stable temperature to be representative as the engine management will be demanding richer fuel for longer during each warm up period.  Have another look late spring when you are getting back well into double figures and you’ll see it improve again.  At the moment you can’t compare apples with apples.  

I could not agree more DON.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Don C said:

That’s your opinion.  You might be sensitive enough to be offended about brand snobbery on fuel (really?) but I base my comment on facts not emotions.  Use what you want, I don’t care.  

Ha, ha, ha, who's offended?

A couple of facts for you:

All petrol and diesel sold in the UK must conform to British and European standards - EN228 for unleaded and for diesel EN590

Fuel from supermarkets is held to the exact same minimum safety and quality standards as premium sellers

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Don C said:

Good point, not only colder, but darker too, using your heater more, lights more, cold starts, wraming your car up before venturing out, it all adds up.
Especially with hybrid cars, as the batteries don't perform as well in the cold either, also adding to a lower MPG.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Al D-Much said:

Ha, ha, ha, who's offended?

A couple of facts for you:

All petrol and diesel sold in the UK must conform to British and European standards - EN228 for unleaded and for diesel EN590

Fuel from supermarkets is held to the exact same minimum safety and quality standards as premium sellers

Those facts I know about.  They’re not relevant to my comment.  

• 2 weeks later...

My Nov 2018 300h does mainly local mileage but we occasionally trip up the M4 from Severn Bridge to South Oxforshire to visit daughter, 93 miles door to door, via Reading. This is the only trip I do an mpg reset for...

Early July trip was 42mpg, end of August was 41mpg, both on E5 and eventually with local trips added on, creeping down to 37-38 by next reset.

late October was on E10 now and we saw 39mpg then with local going down to a cumulative figure of 35mpg. This week same trip was 37.5mpg returning today.

As already stated by others the arrival of E10 has coincided with the arrival of autumn into winter and a truer comparison will now need to wait until May and beyond.

As a serious pensioner I can recall petrol prices for my first ever vehicle (1957 Ford 100E van), which cost 4 shillings and seven pence a gallon! That was in 1966 and this equates to around 5 pence per litre nowadays.

Hey-ho!

• Like 2