Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Yes you can but my advice from  Lexus in Bordeaux was that the small saving in cost was not worth it as the mpg was worse.  They advised we should use either  95 octane or 98 and the small extra cost would be offset by better mpg.

I've told the Mrs just use Shell V-Power from now on .

Always used it in my big BHP Nissan 300ZX and noticed the extra power it gave after a couple of Tanks. 

Also use the Shell V- Power Diesel in my 2.2 Honda Civic Work Car and that also runs great on it.

Costs a bit more but I don't mind .

Thanks for your answers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robpace said:

Always used it in my big BHP Nissan 300ZX and noticed the extra power it gave after a couple of Tanks. 

That's because that type of car and the engine in it are made to handle that type of fuel. It would make no difference in something like a Nissan Micra or a 1.1-litre Fiesta.

Ethanol has 33% less energy than petrol so you're losing about 3.3% of your mileage with E10 and thus burning more fuel overall.

I'm somewhat skeptical that this is going to make a significant difference to the carbon problem. Seems much more like an easy way for Bojo&co to say "look what we're doing".

• Like 4

Or the rich competing to make space travel more accessible(Branson,Musk etc) makes one wonder what harm that would do to the environment when it becomes more common place🤔

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Initial P said:

Remember guys its the cars killing the planet not vegetables been flown around the globe.

Are you referring to the kind you grow ? Or the kind that sit round tables deciding our future ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

probably the people who are zooming off in their space rockets 

anyone done the maths on this one yet ?

cost of carbon footprint for manufacture, lift off ,space-ing around and return and then the clearing up ?

Bet it's a little more than the cost of making and running a Bentley or several for some decades 

Malc

1 hour ago, stringbender said:

Or the kind that sit round tables deciding our future ?

9 hours ago, Initial P said:

Remember guys its the cars killing the planet not vegetables been flown around the globe.

"A report from the University of Stirling last September shows that harmful particulate matter emissions, also known as PM2.5, remained consistent during the first month of lockdown, despite a 65 per cent decline in the number of vehicles on Scotland’s roads.

The study concluded that ‘traffic is not a key contributor to outdoor air pollution’ – and went on to warn that people ‘may be at greater risk from air pollution in their own homes’. 🤔

• Like 1

8 hours ago, scudney said:

Or the rich competing to make space travel more accessible(Branson,Musk etc) makes one wonder what harm that would do to the environment when it becomes more common place🤔

It would appear that the world's population may not have sufficient time remaining to facilitate more accessible space travel - (or any travel!)

53 minutes ago, m4rkw said:

PM2.5 is killing humans, not so much the planet. It's CO2 that's ruining the planet the most.

What's ruining the planet most is overpopulation; too many people for too few resources.

A friend of mine is proud that she has 16 grandchildren and 6 great-grandchildren. I don't think that it's anything to be proud of at all. We can't just keep squirting sprogs out at the current rate of knots.

• Like 3

That's rather harsh Herbie. I think it's the Chinese who a number of years ago banned couple having gmore than one child. This has gone on for a few years now but the crap that China puts into the earth's air is still massive and growing. Anyway I have a respect for that friend of yours with 16 grandkids. My wife is on 10 grandkids which makes me on 10 too.

As for E10. I must have been in auto mode or something but I accidentally put a full tank of E10 in my (can't use it in) is250. Oh well I won't do it again. Oh on a run to Leeds my car returned 39 mpg. I thought wtf thought this stuff was naff. Usually I get 36 mpg. But I do use Millers petrol pro additive. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

That's rather harsh Herbie.

Not harsh at all my friend, and just my own personal opinion.

However, it has been the societal norm for many, many years for the sequence to be - born > school > work > get married > have kids

When I was born in 1958 world population was 2,925,686,705. Now in 2020 (latest figures) it's 7,794,798,739. Source

We just cannot carry on like that because the planet has finite space and finite resources.

As for E10. I must have been in auto mode or something but I accidentally put a full tank of E10 in my (can't use it in) is250.

I wouldn't worry about it. From what I've read it seems to me that it's not an immediate effect but a long-term thing that attacks the rubber hoses/seals rather than any direct effect on the engine. If you use half that tank and fill up again with proper stuff to dilute it, it should be fine - I think 🤞

• Like 2

Just looked at your link to Worldometers, Herbie, and it appears that the year on year percentage increase is steadily falling.

I seem to remember hearing a couple of years ago that the world population would level off at about 7 billion maximum because of many factors but I cannot remember what they all were.

My wife and I haven't got any grandchildren and therefore no great grandchildren so are we helping to ease the population explosion?

At our age I don't think we have too much to worry about.

JBP

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JBPRX400h said:

My wife and I haven't got any grandchildren and therefore no great grandchildren so are we helping to ease the population explosion?

You are indeed sir, just like us. We never wanted kids at all, so we're doing our bit too :thumbsup:

I go along with what Herbie has said in general but it's not just a question of numbers, understandably, throughout the world people want an increasing standard of living in material things, greater choice in food and drink, travel abroad, better housing etc etc.  (I was in Morrisons recently and the wine and spirit bays encompassed a larger area than the sum of all goods in about 4 local general stores).  It is not a surprise therefore, that there are seemingly endless lorries and trucks traversing our roads with all sorts of goods with such high demand. I did do some research on this recently as we debated the subject at a zoom meeting of our U3A discussion group.  Whilst it is true that the rate of increase in population in Europe has slowed down, the numbers are still increasing overall because we are now looking at a larger base. However, there are countries in Africa and India for example, where numbers are increasing considerably.  Also, (ignoring Covid distortion) it may have levelled off recently in the UK and perhaps in Europe but generally over the last 50 years people are living longer so extra need for more medical and care support. 

So, whilst a dramatic drop in numbers would mean a lower standard of living in general, we can't just go on as we have been.  People need to be more responsible in a number of ways including not having many children. Measures like changing the composition of fuel and being more efficient in other ways is not going to be enough if World population continues to increase and this is before we take into account the increasing cost of all the floods and fires necessitating rebuilding and relocation.  

• Like 1

Best option is Esso Premium...99 octane and zero Ethanol (although contains 5% in quite a few parts of the country). Hoping this continues beyond September (I have old motorbikes that don't line Ethanol).

On 8/9/2021 at 10:19 PM, m4rkw said:

Ethanol has 33% less energy than petrol so you're losing about 3.3% of your mileage with E10 and thus burning more fuel overall.

I'm somewhat skeptical that this is going to make a significant difference to the carbon problem. Seems much more like an easy way for Bojo&co to say "look what we're doing".

It'll also make old cars obsolete quicker, so you'll have to consume a newer car sooner than you would have without the fuel being changed.

Most of the solutions to this "environmental catastrophe" seems to be "consume more, newer products" which to me seems to create more CO2 than if we just kept running our reliable old cars. Of course the option is never to stop consuming or consume less. Also, electric cars don't run on pixie dust and unicorn droppings: there's a coal or gas fired, CO2-belching power station providing the electrons to charge your electric ever-so-righteous-mobile, so they are never the pious proposal owners delude themselves they are.

At least the hybrids harness kinetic energy that otherwise would be wasted. They do save CO2 emissions over time. But just ignore the toxic lakes produced by the lithium mines... 

• Like 2