Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuel pump recall

I've just had a recall notice for a fuel pump issue. "Please note that due to the nature of the repair, we would kindly request that, where possible, your vehicle is presented to the Lexus Centre with no more than a quarter of a tank of fuel." I HAVE JUST FILLED THE BUGGER UP!

image.thumb.png.38c720725d6de08cea9cf377840f7d6c.png

Oh dear, that not good. How long will it take you to get back to 1/4 of a tank?

I am on about 1/4 now & I am wondering if it is worth me filling it up now.😕

Does it give a range of years that are affected?

At current rates of driving it will take me two months to get down to a quarter of a tank. This could mean a spirited drive to Leicester at the end of the month 🙂

I just checked for recall info on the Lexus site and it has my car down as an '02 IS200. Hmm. That was a long time ago. I've looked online and can't see any IS300h recalls mentioned yet so I'm not sure which years are affected. 

2 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

I'd get it booked in first before you worry about how much fuel you have - it may be weeks before your dealership can fit you in, or have the parts available.

All booked in for the 31st. I'm hoping I'll get an LC as a courtesy car this time.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mincey said:

At current rates of driving it will take me two months to get down to a quarter of a tank. This could mean a spirited drive to Leicester at the end of the month 🙂

I just checked for recall info on the Lexus site and it has my car down as an '02 IS200. Hmm. That was a long time ago. I've looked online and can't see any IS300h recalls mentioned yet so I'm not sure which years are affected. 

At least the weather should be nice to drive about for the next couple of weeks.😃

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bounce75 said:

At least the weather should be nice to drive about for the next couple of weeks.😃

Fingers crossed! I was given the opportunity to have my aircon re-gassed for £35 while the recall was done which I declined as it seems fine at the moment. It'll be just my luck that we have a heatwave and my aircon starts to peter out just after the pump issue is fixed. 

5 hours ago, Mincey said:

Fingers crossed! I was given the opportunity to have my aircon re-gassed for £35 while the recall was done which I declined as it seems fine at the moment. It'll be just my luck that we have a heatwave and my aircon starts to peter out just after the pump issue is fixed. 

Thats the sort of luck I have.😃

2 hours ago, Mincey said:

I still can't see anything online about this recall,

When you started the thread, I found a Toyota page listing cars affected, including Lexus 2018-2019 IS and other models. Now, of course, when I want to find it, I can't!

But here's another link to an American news item about it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Thackeray said:

When you started the thread, I found a Toyota page listing cars affected, including Lexus 2018-2019 IS and other models. Now, of course, when I want to find it, I can't!

But here's another link to an American news item about it.

I think that was the previous recall when the IS300h didn't seem affected, maybe it has been revised or there is now a new one. That previous recall for the UK was:

Notification of Recall Fuel Pump Replacement March 2020

Lexus UK has issued a safety recall for a limited amount of Lexus cars, due to an issue with the low-pressure fuel pump, located in the fuel tank. 
The issue relates to a concern that these fuel pumps include impellers which may have been manufactured with lower density. In this condition, the impeller may deform to a point that creates interference with the fuel pump body to cause the fuel pump to become inoperative. 
The following Lexus UK models have been recalled, these vehicles were produced between September 2013 and May 2019: 

•GS250/450H 
•LC500/500H 
•LS460 
•LS500/500H 
•LS600H 
•NX200T 
•RX450H 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2021 at 12:43 PM, ColinBarber said:

I'd get it booked in first before you worry about how much fuel you have - it may be weeks before your dealership can fit you in, or have the parts available.

It's funny you should say that Colin. It was booked in to be done today. Yesterday I had a voicemail to say there were no courtesy cars available today and could I rebook? No problem. I've just rebooked. It's going in on the 1st October now. Apparently there are no parts available until then. Pick the bones out of that one! 

Now, as I've got about 60 miles of fuel left, my quandary now is how much to put in for the next month so I don't waste any more....

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Mincey said:

Now, as I've got about 60 miles of fuel left, my quandary now is how much to put in for the next month so I don't waste any more....

I guess it's more frequent quicker visits to the petrol station for you then 😉 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Las Palmas said:

Lucky us owners of CT. No recall.

Lucky you getting service in UK. Get courtesy cars. Our next service is in 2 weeks and if we want another car we can rent one. Not from Lexus. From a car renting company.

A small price to pay for a superb climate I’d say!! 😉😀

1 hour ago, Las Palmas said:

Lucky us owners of CT. No recall.

So far! 🙂 I was surprised when I had the recall notice as I thought that the 3IS has got away with it. I'm also surprised that nobody else here with a similar vintage IS to mine has been asked to come in.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Subtronics said:

Is it worth chasing Lexus over this recall? Don't want to have any issues with the fuel pump especially with the new rubbish fuel going in the car!

If nobody else has been summoned before I go in, I'll definitely ask why I was the Chosen One!

• Like 1

On 8/31/2021 at 9:17 AM, Mincey said:

I'm somewhat puzzled by this problem involving excess fuel in a tank.

Unless I am much mistaken, it's a problem that can be resolved with the aid of a length of rubber tubing and a fuel can - or two.

Or am I missing something obvious?

4 hours ago, LenT said:

I'm somewhat puzzled by this problem involving excess fuel in a tank.

Unless I am much mistaken, it's a problem that can be resolved with the aid of a length of rubber tubing and a fuel can - or two.

Or am I missing something obvious?

Knowing my luck Len, I would either swallow most of it or set myself ablaze!

• Haha 1

On 9/11/2021 at 8:27 AM, Subtronics said:

Is it worth chasing Lexus over this recall? Don't want to have any issues with the fuel pump especially with the new rubbish fuel going in the car!

Your not affected - its only models post 2017 - if you search for 2016 or earlier there are no recalls

image.thumb.png.945fe8d403533e993f277bf0c0ef35ed.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Guess what? No fuel pumps arrived in the post at Leicester today, so that's two months of driving around on the bare minimum of petrol I've had to endure. It's now booked in for late October. When I pick it up later on today, I'm going to suggest that the pump is replaced when it has the annual service in January. That should give plenty of time for a pump to arrive. Or I could just buy the ES and let someone else worry about it....