Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tuning Box/ Booster

Hi Everyone,

I have just joined the club, but have owned a Rx400h since 2018.  I should have joined before, because there's lots of great information and help.  I also, will try to do my bit!  My Lexus, which I bought for my wife is bullet proof, as all are, that are properly serviced and looked after.  I still have "Lexi" (yes, we do name our cars and I know that's the most corny name for a Lexus!!) serviced by Lexus, because they do such a thorough job and also guarantee the batteries for a further year, which is reassuring.

I read the warnings about Cat thefts and I ditto that.  We have private gated parking and it only took one night when the gate failed, for thieves to take the opportunity steal the cat.  I've heard of people who have had their's stolen in supermarket car parks in daylight hours in London, but I bet it happens all over the UK.  It's worth getting a cat lock, which will at least deter them. 

Now to my first query: I notice that there is a slight delay when pulling away from stop, which isn't unusual because I understand that the engine management system does adjust itself from time to time.  However, I would prefer to have immediate full power available, when wanted.  There are a couple of companies on the net (Vector & RaceChip and probably more) that sell modules that intercept the signal from the accelerator pedal to the management that say give you immediate response.  These systems do not involve remapping.  Has anyone fitted something like this and if so, did it work?  Any general observations would be very welcome.

Many thanks,

Mike

• Like 1

Hi Michael.

Welcome. Great car the RX 400h.

Do you do a lot of town driving? Low speed, stop start, short journeys? Or does your RX get a chance to regularly stretch its legs on some faster A roads, dual carriageways or motorways for a prolonged period?

As you can probably guess I'm skeptical about the devices you mention!

Hi Richard,

It's a mixture of both, not many motorways, but quite a few dual carriageways.  I suppose thinking about it, it's close to about 50/50.  The longer journeys are about 15 - 30 miles, not that long, I suppose. I put Redex in every now and then and often fill up with super unleaded, but the extra octane isn't really that noticeable in a CVT.  The mpg always sits at about 30 because both Meena and  I just enjoy driving Lexi and we also seem to have right feet made of lead!

• Like 1

Ah, bang goes my theory then. I was going to suggest just driving it more!

Throwing this out to the other 400h owners past and present. Though I still remain skeptical about the gadget. Especially on a hybrid.

On 8/10/2021 at 6:51 PM, Lord Monkey said:

There are a couple of companies on the net (Vector & RaceChip and probably more) that sell modules that intercept the signal from the accelerator pedal to the management that say give you immediate response.  These systems do not involve remapping.

All that would do is have the effect that you have pressed the pedal down faster/further than you are currently doing - is that going to give you want you want, you can test that yourself by being more aggressive with the pedal.