Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Help! Wheel Nut Problem

djc46

Hi,

I am due to have all 4 tyres on my CT200h replaced tomorrow morning, at home as one tyre is totally flat.

I had a look today for the wheel locking nut tool, and couldn’t find any. However, when I tried the wheels, three of them have all regular bolts that the tyre wrench fits fine. One of the rear wheels has one nut that looks different, but looking closely I’m thinking it might be a corroded wheel nut, rather than any kind of locking nut.

Could you guys maybe look at the photo, and tell me what you think. I’m thinking if the car had locking nuts, there should be one on each wheel, and the more I look at the nut, it just looks like a corroded regular wheel nut. I’m just not sure.

I really appreciate any advice, as I need to get the tyres fitted tomorrow.

Thanks 

Duncan

FAC43EB0-E810-4B20-8406-EA110CF4C30B.jpeg

Unfortunately as the tyre has a puncture, and will take no air, I can’t drive it to Lexus to get advice.
That’s also why I’ve booked a tyre company to install the tyres on the drive tomorrow.

I’ve never had any tyres changed in the 2 years I’ve had the car, and never noticed, or looked for a locking nut tool before. I’m thinking though, that it might be quite unusual to have only a single locking nut on one wheel only. Which makes me think it could be a corroded regular wheel nut. I’m just not sure

The tyre wrench was just slipping when I tried it on the nut.

If I knew it was a corroded nut, I’d buy a set of locking wheel nuts, so the tyre people could replace that nut, and fit the other 3 when they do the tyres. Always assuming they can actually get the nut off in the first place.

Yes, looks like the old style locking wheel nut with a cover over it. You should have a black plastic piece with your locking key which you push over the top of the cover and pull it off to reveal the actual locking wheel nut with the holes that the key goes into.

If it is this type then the hex part of the nut will just spin around if you try a wrench on it because as you can see it is circular underneath.

image.png.de18c9d4ed424deba3a8a7dab6028e87.png

• Like 1

I’ll need to have another look then.

If that’s the case, I could be in real trouble, as it doesn’t look like I got any wheel nut tool for the locking nuts when I bought the car 2 years ago. I’ve checked the glove box and in the under boot storage where the jack is, and can’t find anything.

1 minute ago, djc46 said:

I’ll need to have another look then.

If that’s the case, I could be in real trouble, as it doesn’t look like I got any wheel nut tool for the locking nuts when I bought the car 2 years ago. I’ve checked the glove box and in the under boot storage where the jack is, and can’t find anything.

Ask the people you bought the car from ?

15 minutes ago, djc46 said:

Maybe it had locked wheel nuts and they were removed so you just have an odd normal one.

I had a similar problem with my old Infiniti. There was no locking wheel nut in the glove box. I was told by Infiniti and Nissan to speak to Mercedes. None of which could help me. I bought a thing called a "Lazer" wheel nut tool from Halfords, cost around £20.

In the end I found a local (Stockport) company that provided the correct locking wheel nut key, I just had to send them a photo and I got it the next day through the post. (Cost about £30). I have just been trying to find their details, but haven't found them yet.

Annoyingly when I sold the Infiniti I found the original locking wheel nut underneath the boot liner, in the void where the jack is. 

5 hours ago, markeyszoo said:

guys at tyre place will get it off.

the guys who are coming to you will indubitably have the appropriate tools to remove all and any nuts and then you can find a set of replacement locking one's should the need arise ............  sometime soon

if the tyre fitters don't carry the necessary kit then they will be a pack of " numpties " methinks

Malc

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links