Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

05 LS430 strange window control issue

Hello, a few months back I bought a bit of a bin LS430 for a cheap runaround (LPG). I've serviced it and sorted out the dash lights (o2 sensor) and recently treated it to new brakes and tyres all around so now it's on to the internal gremlins...

All windows go auto-up and down from the driver controls.

Passenger window controls do nothing.

Rear window controls only go down so I have to put them up (I tell passengers that they're in a limo so they don't need to do anything, but I would like to get it fixed).

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks for the response Mark. I just disconnected the Battery for 15 minutes and unfortunately nothing has changed (plus I recently replaced the Battery with a brand new one so all voltages should be good)

I'm baffled as to what could be wrong here, I initially thought it was the drivers window lock-out switch but as the rear ones go down I can't see it being that. 

Does anyone have any other suggestions??

Have you tried the window reset procedure?
Using the window control (not the drivers window controls) press and hold the window down button for at least 10 secs.
Then lift and hold the window up button for at least 10 secs.
If that does not fix it, then try the same but using the drivers window controls.

Otherwise it sounds like dodgy/dirty switches to me.
The window control computers and regulators are working or the windows would not move.

56 minutes ago, BigBoomer said:

Have you tried the window reset procedure?
Using the window control (not the drivers window controls) press and hold the window down button for at least 10 secs.
Then lift and hold the window up button for at least 10 secs.
If that does not fix it, then try the same but using the drivers window controls.

Otherwise it sounds like dodgy/dirty switches to me.
The window control computers and regulators are working or the windows would not move.

Just tried this with no joy although it did seem to do something - some windows refused to go up from any switch for about 30 seconds! Thought I'd be getting wet for a minute there but they're now all up.

I've already had the passenger controls off and cleaned them with contact cleaner with no difference, but I'll do the same with rear controls just in case. It's very odd this, I can't think of a single point of failure.

Also, if I hit the driver window-lockout control while windows are moving then they stop in place, so I think that button works as expected.

Edited by SandyRavage
add details

Okay I've been and cleaned all the PCBs (which looked okay) and lo-and-behold my rear windows started working. The front-passenger one still didn't work but the PCB looks a bit corroded so I swapped that with a rear one and now the front window works too!

So the rear issues look like coincidentally dirty PCBs where the 'up' switch makes contact. Front-passenger one is seemingly caused by a bad PCB, I can only see a full set of switches on eBay so does anyone know where I could find this small PCB? 

I hope this helps someone in future! Try going back to basics when troubleshooting, it's not always the computers 🙂  (thanks @BigBoomer for the kick up the backside to check this)

Edited by SandyRavage
give credit where it's due
  • Like 1

Not sure what exact PCB you are referring to. Is it the one inside the switch housing?
If so, just get a new or used switch and replace the whole switch.
Used switches can be had on eBay or try your local Lexus or Toyota dealer.
Chances are the switch was used on several Toyotas from the era.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links