Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Remote windows and sunroof operation

When I had a Gen II RX 300, I could remotely open and close all the windows and sunroof by pressing and holding the unlock/lock button on the key fob. However, I cannot seem to do the same with my Gen IV RX 450h. 

Is this function still available on current models, and if so, what am I missing/doing wrong?

Grateful for any advice, thanks.

Hi Tim

The functionality still exists but it isn't a setting that can be changed via the in-car menus. It is what is called a dealer customisation which means someone with Toyota Techstream software can alter the setting. Your dealer may or may not do this for free.

You could obtain Techstream software, install on a laptop, get the correct ODBII cable and purchase a 1 day license to use the software. Alternatively more user friendly software such as Carista + dongle should be able to do this.

It seems too many people complained about their cars having windows left open, and rain getting in, because they had sat on their keys which made Lexus change the default to be off for this functionality. 😠

• Like 2

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the prompt response.

My goodness!  How infuriating that a functionality has been disabled because of owners sitting on their keys!  Surely the answer would be to remove keys from pockets?  I definitely couldn't do all that Techstream stuff - that's way beyond my capability.  I will throw myself at the dealer's mercy! 

Thank again - much obliged.

Tim

12 hours ago, Goodplan53 said:

When I had a Gen II RX 300, I could remotely open and close all the windows and sunroof by pressing and holding the unlock/lock button on the key fob. However, I cannot seem to do the same with my Gen IV RX 450h. 

Is this function still available on current models, and if so, what am I missing/doing wrong?

Grateful for any advice, thanks.

Sounds cool

How do I do this or does it have to be programmed to work?

b4u2: 

Sounds cool

How do I do this or does it have to be programmed to work?

On the Gen II - just press and hold the unlock button on the key fob and it will open all the windows including the sunroof.  Similarly, press and hold the lock button to close them all.

Well that's interesting cos although mine does that now, it needed dealer to programme.  Maybe it's because earlier cars were programmed to operate this way from the start and it was just that not everybody was aware how to work it, though it's quite common on cars.  My BMW operates sun roof and all windows in the same way from the remote key/fob.

@b4u2 I can only speak from experience with my Gen II that it just worked when I got it. But my original post was that it is not enabled on my Gen IV by default. Have you tried the key to see if it would work?

On 8/14/2021 at 10:08 AM, ColinBarber said:

It seems too many people complained about their cars having windows left open, and rain getting in, because they had sat on their keys which made Lexus change the default to be off for this functionality. 😠

@Barry14UK what Colin said above.

• Like 1

My Gen II RX 300 was 2003 (53 plate). Loved it. Had air suspension that I could raise and lower like the old Citroens. I converted it to run on LPG. Sad to see it go but it was time to move on. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links