Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

E10 Petrol in September Are you switching to V Power?

TKhan430

20 hours ago, TKhan430 said:

Have you guys joined fairfuel spearheaded by Quinton Wilson? He has been campaigning for years to lower fuel prices. When I was in Qatar fuel was 20p a litre and that was after a rise! 

What is it about this government almost criminalizing drivers for driving cars!!? 🤔

I am in no way defending this government, and the tax that is levied on fuel, but it's worth noting that the 'fuel duty' hasn't increased since 2009. The last edition of Private Eye pointed out that after the 2020 budget fuel duty had remained frozen for the 11th consecutive year. The VAT element of the cost of a litre is 20% and that also has remained the same since 2010. As far as I know these are the only two taxes levied on fuel. My understanding is that the increase in the cost of fuel over the past few months is due to the oil producing nations cutting production resulting in the price of a barrel going up. Don't forget, with the world in lockdown for the last 12 months or more, there has been no demand for oil, so these countries whose economies rely on the sale of oil have been hammered financially. Now the world is opening up again I guess they now want their money back. Either that or the retailers in this country are profiteering to get their 'lost' money back.

1 hour ago, Chris111 said:

I am in no way defending this government, and the tax that is levied on fuel, but it's worth noting that the 'fuel duty' hasn't increased since 2009. The last edition of Private Eye pointed out that after the 2020 budget fuel duty had remained frozen for the 11th consecutive year. The VAT element of the cost of a litre is 20% and that also has remained the same since 2010. As far as I know these are the only two taxes levied on fuel. My understanding is that the increase in the cost of fuel over the past few months is due to the oil producing nations cutting production resulting in the price of a barrel going up. Don't forget, with the world in lockdown for the last 12 months or more, there has been no demand for oil, so these countries whose economies rely on the sale of oil have been hammered financially. Now the world is opening up again I guess they now want their money back. Either that or the retailers in this country are profiteering to get their 'lost' money back.

If I didn't know better Chris I would think you were from the DOT 😎. You are correct to say duty, as a percentage applied hasn't changed but the actual amount extracted from the motorist is hugely different. Just because OPEC raises prices why should the motorist pay more duty in real terms? The amount of VED I pay isn't dependant on how many miles I drive nor is my MOT or my annual service cost for that matter. 

• Like 1

I’m now on my 4th fill of V-Power. Mpg has improved. The acid test was a recent round trip of nearly 300 miles which I have done a number of times in this car. Same roads, same conditions and same speeds. 4 mpg better (44 v 40). In more normal driving I’m seeing just over a 3mpg improvement. The car generally feels more torquey to drive with much less throttle travel required to make progress. I’m going to stick with it I think. I’m seeing a decent mpg improvement and a much improved engine response so this, together with the additional cleaning benefits of this fuel make it worth me paying a premium for this fuel. My average mpg over 4 fills is 43.5 whereas it was 40 for many fills before that. I’ll keep monitoring this but the signs are good so far.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, paulrnx said:

I’m now on my 4th fill of V-Power. Mpg has improved. The acid test was a recent round trip of nearly 300 miles which I have done a number of times in this car. Same roads, same conditions and same speeds. 4 mpg better (44 v 40). In more normal driving I’m seeing just over a 3mpg improvement. The car generally feels more torquey to drive with much less throttle travel required to make progress. I’m going to stick with it I think. I’m seeing a decent mpg improvement and a much improved engine response so this, together with the additional cleaning benefits of this fuel make it worth me paying a premium for this fuel. My average mpg over 4 fills is 43.5 whereas it was 40 for many fills before that. I’ll keep monitoring this but the signs are good so far.

Is HJ a God?

Is it "white coat syndrome"

Is it generally warmer weather ?

Stay tuned folks and all will be revealed!👍👍

• Like 1

I don't think there's an argument against the fact that the like of Shell VPower is a better fuel option than lower grade octane whether it be for better economy, performance or internal engine care.  My issue now is that I shall be forced to use it rather than previously having had a choice which is more a reflection on the car than the fuel.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, paulrnx said:

Paul, out of curiosity, can you fill up with the old non Vpower again and do thesame measurements? Will you feel a weaker motor with slower response?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

Paul, out of curiosity, can you fill up with the old non Vpower again and do thesame measurements? Will you feel a weaker motor with slower response?

Yes, probably a good idea to go back to normal fuel to check this. I’ll do this next time I fill up and do it for a few fills.

• Like 1

If you're going to use E10 for a few fill ups then you're risking the parts that don't like it. Maybe do just the one fill up but get back to and stay on it E5 so the E10 gets thoroughly out of the cars fuel system. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, paulrnx said:

Very interesting post Paul. Let us know how you get on with E10 on your next fill up. Perhaps do that when you are travelling to Wales?

• Like 1