Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

E10 Petrol in September Are you switching to V Power?

TKhan430

With e10 petrol being rolled out across forecourt's this September many of us will have to switch over to super unleaded as ours cars are not compatible ith e10. 

I think mine can be run on e10 according to the gov website. To be on the safe side I'm not risking it and just going to use V Power. 

What about you, will you be using V Power? 

• Like 1

I’m in the middle of an extended V-Power trial. I’m on my third consecutive tankfull and I’m seeing a real improvement in economy of now up to nearly 4mpg and the car does seem to have a bit more get up and go. The real test will be in a week’s time where I do another long journey to/from N Wales over exactly the same roads and speeds. Done it three times before and achieved 40mpg every time. If I see anything over 42.5mpg this time I’m probably going to stick with V-Power.

I was always convinced Lexus hybrids, or at least the 4 cylinder 300 variants, had no benefit from V-Power etc but I’m not so sure now. Factor in the other additives that keep the combustion areas cleaner and I may decide it’s worth it for me.

Just now, b4u2 said:

That is the most sensible and by far the best Posting you have made since joining the Forum b4.

Long may it continue.😊😊😊

• Like 1

I always prefer to use the higher octane or VPower if I get it. VPower supposedly has some cleaning stuff in it too, so may be better for overall engine state.

Just incase people are unaware the alternatives to the new E10 for cars that are not compatible are Shell v power,Momentum 99,BP ultimate and Esso synergy,have always run my 250 f sport on Momentum 99 and v.power 👍

• Like 2

E10 has been in the pumps now at least 2 weeks. One morning last week I put almost a full tank of E10 in my none conforming is250 but I also put a double dose of Millers petrol ecomax. Now this Millers isn't a combatant of the extra ethanol, tho Millers do make an additive that does combat the extra ethanol, but I actually noticed my car running better and on a usual trip to Leeds and not sticking to speed limits my car returned as good as 39mpg as it can get.

Now to why are our cars not suitable for E10. Well I've asked my dealer to no avail. Whilst there I asked one of the techs, he said all he could think of was the rubber fuel lines being of a different compound. Even looking on the Lexus website it suggests the best advice will come from your local Lexus dealer. Oh. My dealer hasn't had any notification of any sort from Lexus head office so my dealer knows as much as I do. Though I will phone on Monday and try to get a definitive answer to what's the difference between my 2007 car and a 2009 car?

Oh to answer the topics question. No I'm Not switching to V Power. Tesco Momentum tho I've noticed it's price has gone up 1p every day last week (we fuel our trucks at tesco everyday that's how I know) and as of Friday it was 140.9p/litre against 138.9p for normal petrol. BP Shell charge far too much for fuel and there's no difference in it that we mere mortals can see.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Now to why are our cars not suitable for E10. Well I've asked my dealer to no avail. Whilst there I asked one of the techs, he said all he could think of was the rubber fuel lines being of a different compound.

From: https://www.hagerty.co.uk/articles/maintenance-and-gear/everything-you-need-to-know-about-using-e10-fuel-with-your-classic-car/

Although many cars run on E5 without significant problems, doubling the amount of ethanol in the fuel can cause a variety of issues in olders cars. Ethanol is hygroscopic, which means that it absorbs water from the atmosphere. And that water, in turn, finds its way into your car. It can lead to condensation in fuel tanks, fuel lines and carburettors and cause corrosion in brass, copper, lead, tin and zinc components.

As ethanol is also a solvent it can eat through rubber, plastic and fibreglass, so hoses and seals are likely to perish more quickly because of the higher concentration of ethanol in E10. In Department for Transport tests, problems identified included degradation to fuel hoses and seals, blocked fuel filters, damaged fuel pumps, corroded carbs, blocked injectors and corrosion in fuel tanks. Rubber is particularly affected.

2 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Now to why are our cars not suitable for E10. Well I've asked my dealer to no avail. Whilst there I asked one of the techs, he said all he could think of was the rubber fuel lines being of a different compound. Even looking on the Lexus website it suggests the best advice will come from your local Lexus dealer. Oh. My dealer hasn't had any notification of any sort from Lexus head office so my dealer knows as much as I do. Though I will phone on Monday and try to get a definitive answer to what's the difference between my 2007 car and a 2009 car?

I wish you well with that phone enquiry Vlad as I too shall be interested in the answer. 😕

Did two trips of 500 or so miles recently, similar mix of conditions with at least half motorway. Esso 99 octane 39 mpg, BP 95 octane 35 mpg. But tho a 2007 car the entire fuel system has been replaced in the last year, presumably with the new ethanol-resistant coating on the replaced components, so in theory I should be able to use E10 fuel with no qualms. In theory...

9 hours ago, MartinH said:

But tho a 2007 car the entire fuel system has been replaced in the last year, presumably with the new ethanol-resistant coating on the replaced components, so in theory I should be able to use E10 fuel with no qualms. In theory...

I'm no hands-on mechanic Martin but I would still be interested to know what you mean by 'the entire fuel system' ... what components exactly? ... and at what cost?  Not even sure what 'ethanol resistant coating' might be unless that's a jest 😄 .  Please elaborate as much as you can.

Goodness knows I am no hands-on mechanic either! But reading from the invoice, which handily is on my desk, the parts replaced were

• damper set, fuel MLA
  • pump assy, fuel MLA
  • pipe assy, fuel MLA

I have read in this forum that the problem with 2005–7 engines is that the higher water content of E10 fuel can cause corrosion in the fuel MLA, and that a new internal coating was introduced for these components on post-2007 engine builds. (I have no way to verify this.) The warning on E10 fuel does not apply to later model-years, so my assumption is that the components supplied for my job are of revised specification.

If you are thinking of a retrofit: forget it. The components are fearsomely expensive. To their credit, Lexus GB remitted over half of the retail cost of the parts. I don't know if that's because they thought the car was a nice example of the model (ex-management car), or because Lexus Edgware Road were persuasive. I still had to pay for fitting, mos def a job for a pro technician!

22 hours ago, scudney said:

Just incase people are unaware the alternatives to the new E10 for cars that are not compatible are Shell v power,Momentum 99,BP ultimate and Esso synergy,have always run my 250 f sport on Momentum 99 and v.power 👍

Momentum99 seems like the best bang for buck. Been using it for years, available mostly everywhere, price is good too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2021 at 8:08 PM, Mr Vlad said:

Any luck Vlad?  Or maybe you're waiting for them to call back ... ? 😂

Eh up Rowley. I've given up asking Stockport Lexus coz the after sales guy was lacklustre and didn't have a clue. I'm on a 2 week holiday from work and apart from my post on front suspension gaitors I've not been on here as much as normal But I do intend contacting Lexus UK stating dealer not being bothered and for them to give an answer. 

Up in Bowness at the moment enjoying a number of pints. I love it here.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Eh up Rowley. I've given up asking Stockport Lexus coz the after sales guy was lacklustre and didn't have a clue. I'm on a 2 week holiday from work and apart from my post on front suspension gaitors I've not been on here as much as normal But I do intend contacting Lexus UK stating dealer not being bothered and for them to give an answer. 

Up in Bowness at the moment enjoying a number of pints. I love it here.

Don`t forget to report back Vlad as we are in the frame of mind to report on Dealer inefficiencies🤣🤣

I suspect that some people who could use E10 95 Octane fuel will switch to 99 Octane, like me.  Obviously this will be more expensive, although some of this will be offset by the difference in energy and also better additives in the 99 grade fuel.  If the Government find too many switch I think they will add more tax to dissuade drivers from doing so. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Barry14UK said:

I suspect that some people who could use E10 95 Octane fuel will switch to 99 Octane, like me.  Obviously this will be more expensive, although some of this will be offset by the difference in energy and also better additives in the 99 grade fuel.  If the Government find too many switch I think they will add more tax to dissuade drivers from doing so. 

Have you guys joined fairfuel spearheaded by Quinton Wilson? He has been campaigning for years to lower fuel prices. When I was in Qatar fuel was 20p a litre and that was after a rise! 

What is it about this government almost criminalizing drivers for driving cars!!? 🤔

13 hours ago, hockeyedwards said:

On another note, correct me if wrong, Esso 99 still ethanol free? Had a cheap momentum 99 near me but the price has been climbing steeply of late so might give the 'ol Esso a go 🤷‍♂️

I think you're right about Esso, I read a report a while ago stating the same not sure if it still applies though.