Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

is250 SE-L 09: Can I easily change 18 tyres to 17

Considering getting a is250 SE-L. Seen a good one however the only issue is it's riding on 18 inch wheels. Everything is stock however. Is it easy enough to just put more comfortable 17 inch wheels on or does it involve a lot of effort?

TIA

Hi E. All you have to make sure is that the Rolling Radius is the same. The aspect ratio of the tyres on the 18's will be a lower number than that on the 17's. There's no effort involved just a lot if money. Wheels tyres will easily come to over 600 quid.

• Like 1

You will also need correct sized rims.  The cheapest route for new rims is going to be aftermarket ones.  If you go this route the things you have to get right are the rim size relative to the tyre, offset and stud/nut configuration.  It might be easier if you can get a set of used 17 inch Lexus wheels that are correct for your car.

Hi again E. Although there are a number of is250's out there for sale not all are good. Since you say you've seen a good one then I'd say go for it and see if the ride is really so bad which I doubt it'll be. Look on eBay for used lexus wheels. There are always wheels on there and with tyres too.

• Like 1

@ChillDrive2 Did you actually try to drive one with 18"? My RC same with stock 19" and I'm finding the ride to be nicely compliant and comfortable, more than I would have thought. Perhaps after trying it, you will feel different.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ChillDrive2 said:

Considering getting a is250 SE-L. Seen a good one however the only issue is it's riding on 18 inch wheels. Everything is stock however. Is it easy enough to just put more comfortable 17 inch wheels on or does it involve a lot of effort?

TIA

Just curious…is the 09 IS250 in addition to - or a replacement for - the 2021 IS300h that you say you have?

Either way, you appear to have seen a specific car that you would buy and yet you hesitate because of the wheels and tyres.  Surely this is a tail-wagging-dog situation.

Wheels and tyres are the simplest parts of the car to change.  If you’re happy with the condition and price, then the chances of a more perfect example coming along diminish while you wait.

My IS250 also came with 18” wheels which, in theory, gave a firmer ride but better handling.  I would have preferred the 17” alternative, theoretically a more comfortable ride, but it would have been foolish to pass up this example which was faultless in every other respect.

As it happens, after four years, I doubt I would bother to charge the wheels even if a set of 17” became available.  The advice that’s been given to give the car an extensive test drive is very sound.  You may well find that the theoretical differences are not such a problem in reality.

One thing I would point out, which applied to my model but may not to yours.  My18” wheels required different tyre sizes front and rear, unlike the 17” wheels which used the same size all-round.

It’s not a great problem.  Just something to check out.

I don't actually own a Lexus, the registration made me put one.

I've seen a decent one on 17's now. My sole interest in this car is comfort... Would putting it on 16's be possible? I don't care if it looks bad as long as it's more comfortable.

Is this the right car for me or should I be looking at something else?

Now now johnatg. Only on poverty spec cars? Mine is the top of the range SE-L oh and it's on 17's.

E  if you're asking about the possibility of putting 16's on a is250 then just what kind of car are you actually looking for and what do you want from it?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, LenT said:

My18” wheels required different tyre sizes front and rear, unlike the 17” wheels which used the same size all-round.

My car is on 17" wheels and the tyre sizes differ front to rear

When I went to look at my 250 SE-L ( because it had a sunroof amongst lots that never) to buy it the advertiser failed to mention it had ACC and the size of the wheels ( 17” by the way ) was not going to be a show stopper! Took about 5 mins to decide I had to have it with 37k at 10 years old!

So with Sunroof & ACC is not what I would call poverty spec, someone ( the London Solicitor 1st owner) paid big bucks back in the day!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MartinH said:

My car is on 17" wheels and the tyre sizes differ front to rear

Mine is a 2015 Premier which had the two size options.  I do believe that the earlier IS250s also had 16” wheels as an option and I expect they would have worn the same size all-round.

14 hours ago, ChillDrive2 said:

Is this the right car for me or should I be looking at something else?

Only you can answer that. Just test drive one. 🤷‍♂️

If you've never driven a "luxury" car, then IS250 even on 18s is very comfortable. I noticed very little difference in comfort going from 17 to 18s.. Well refined cars 🙂

• Like 2

On 8/15/2021 at 8:36 PM, johnatg said:

But there are very few with 17" wheels - they were only fitted to poverty spec models. 

Apologies and correction - senior moment there - getting confused with my GS (which has 18" wheels) Most IS250s do indeed have 17" wheels (including the one I had).

On 8/15/2021 at 12:09 PM, ChillDrive2 said:

TIA

I have the stock 17s for sale if you're interested?

On 8/16/2021 at 1:45 PM, ChillDrive2 said:

I'm looking for a comfy refined car that's not too big. is250 seems to tick a lot of boxes. 

You can get LS460s for pretty stupid money, its a different class of motor vehicle and your level of comfort will far exceed your initial thoughts.