Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RC300h black specials edition 1st week

Afternoon, As said on my first post here on the owners club we came to a deal and I got the car. 

It is a 2018 RC300h Black Edition, had 30k and full dealer history. 

Having owned it for a week im glad we was able to get a deal on it in the end. Compared to the 4 series its a different class of car. 
The quality of finish inside is superior on all levels. I had a 420i sport with leather, and a few extra's but nothing compared to the RC. I had a 6 speed manual so i cant really compare on how the gearbox are as the RC has the cvt auto box. On paper the BMW is quicker but honestly I cant tell, the BMW is lighter this I can tell, especially when it comes to the brakes and rolling it into a bend. Im a truck driver so i can easily  get used to slow in fast out if required (also had 2 Mitsubishi GTO's that required this).

Boot space is a bit smaller on the RC but can still fit golf clubs in no problem and the rear seats are a waste of space on the RC. 

But i know its hard to believe after all that but i still prefer the RC miles above the BMW. Just the looks alone, I love this car from every angle. Iv had more people come up to us in 1 week than the 2 years I had the 420. The reflection in the shop windows as you drive past just puts a smile on my face. Kids think its from Batman. Its a great design that turns heads and don't just blend in with the German's. 

The interior is supreme, the leather is soft and supple, the seats hold you well and can do hours of driving without knowing it. The infotainment system with the mouse pad needs some time to get used to as well as setting up the satnav as voice controls dont understand us very well. MPG i think are just made up from the dealer. I had the BMW on around 42mpg avg, this first half tank driving in eco and fuel efficiently and im returning 47mpg. Granted its been hot and air cons been on (via eco mode) but was hoping to hit the 50's. 

So today i gave her a clean and yes relied why i went a number of years without a black car again. What a pain to clean and wax up, If thiers any good wax's people use let us know, iv had a go with the turtle wax jet ice and nope cant get the smears out, moved onto my truck detailer Chrome Pink which has worked for now but any advice would be welcomed. I also have the Maguire's ceramic spray ready to use when i get the power washer out. Has anyone used that and how are the results. 

Here's a few pics 

20210815_174303.jpg

20210815_174334.jpg

20210815_174404.jpg

20210815_174540.jpg

20210815_174621.jpg

20210815_174641.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JRowe said:

Afternoon, As said on my first post here on the owners club we came to a deal and I got the car. 

It is a 2018 RC300h Black Edition, had 30k and full dealer history. 

Having owned it for a week im glad we was able to get a deal on it in the end. Compared to the 4 series its a different class of car. 
The quality of finish inside is superior on all levels. I had a 420i sport with leather, and a few extra's but nothing compared to the RC. I had a 6 speed manual so i cant really compare on how the gearbox are as the RC has the cvt auto box. On paper the BMW is quicker but honestly I cant tell, the BMW is lighter this I can tell, especially when it comes to the brakes and rolling it into a bend. Im a truck driver so i can easily  get used to slow in fast out if required (also had 2 Mitsubishi GTO's that required this).

Boot space is a bit smaller on the RC but can still fit golf clubs in no problem and the rear seats are a waste of space on the RC. 

But i know its hard to believe after all that but i still prefer the RC miles above the BMW. Just the looks alone, I love this car from every angle. Iv had more people come up to us in 1 week than the 2 years I had the 420. The reflection in the shop windows as you drive past just puts a smile on my face. Kids think its from Batman. Its a great design that turns heads and don't just blend in with the German's. 

The interior is supreme, the leather is soft and supple, the seats hold you well and can do hours of driving without knowing it. The infotainment system with the mouse pad needs some time to get used to as well as setting up the satnav as voice controls dont understand us very well. MPG i think are just made up from the dealer. I had the BMW on around 42mpg avg, this first half tank driving in eco and fuel efficiently and im returning 47mpg. Granted its been hot and air cons been on (via eco mode) but was hoping to hit the 50's. 

So today i gave her a clean and yes relied why i went a number of years without a black car again. What a pain to clean and wax up, If thiers any good wax's people use let us know, iv had a go with the turtle wax jet ice and nope cant get the smears out, moved onto my truck detailer Chrome Pink which has worked for now but any advice would be welcomed. I also have the Maguire's ceramic spray ready to use when i get the power washer out. Has anyone used that and how are the results. 

Here's a few pics 

20210815_174303.jpg

20210815_174334.jpg

20210815_174404.jpg

20210815_174540.jpg

20210815_174621.jpg

20210815_174641.jpg

What a really lovely read Jason. I`m thrilled that you are so pleased with the RC.

One Member (Nemesis) has had 2!

I feel that a BMW is for drivers on their way up ?

Sadly, some never aspire and thus never appreciate.

• Like 2

Yup, the RC300h is a great car and very misunderstood by some, especially the motoring press. 

I concur with the looks and it has by received more compliments from friends and total strangers than any other car I've owned 😎

My first, the red 2016, was a real eye opener and the second, the blue 2019, even managed to improve on it in a number of areas. 

I can't imagine going back to a conventional auto-box, the e-CVT is a remarkable piece of engineering and programming. 

I hope you get as much enjoyment driving it as I do :thumbup:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Yup, the RC300h is a great car and very misunderstood by some, especially the motoring press. 

I concur with the looks and it has by received more compliments from friends and total strangers than any other car I've owned 😎

My first, the red 2016, was a real eye opener and the second, the blue 2019, even managed to improve on it in a number of areas. 

I can't imagine going back to a conventional auto-box, the e-CVT is a remarkable piece of engineering and programming. 

I hope you get as much enjoyment driving it as I do :thumbup:

I agree, i did my homework on the rc, most motoring press gave it a hard time compared to the German cars. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dublet said:

I cannot fault your taste. Apart from perhaps the detail that it looks better in white 😉

I agree, I like the fresh look of white but I do have a soft spot for that blue 🥰

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, JRowe said:

this first half tank driving in eco and fuel efficiently and im returning 47mpg. Granted its been hot and air cons been on (via eco mode) but was hoping to hit the 50's

I'm currently getting 52 in "normal" mode, up to 58mpg when cruising down the motorway. Tried Eco mode and actually found it lowered my mpg by a few.

5 minutes ago, dublet said:

I'm currently getting 52 in "normal" mode, up to 58mpg when cruising down the motorway. Tried Eco mode and actually found it lowered my mpg by a few.

Are these figures from the OBC? 

I once saw 55mpg in my red coupe but when I did the brim-to-brim calculation it was in reality 'only' 48mpg ( I came from a CLS55 which was giving 15-20mpg at best!!). The official consumption figure were wildly optimistic at 57mpg over all routes! I averaged 38mpg over my 3yrs ownership.

The blue coupe gives me, currently, an indicated 44mpg, which is in reality 39mpg 'brim-to-brim but much closer to the new official consumption figures of 44mpg.

In both cars the difference between urban and town consumption and open road motorway is massive. Around town easily high 40's. Get out on the motorway and A/B roads it drops to low 30's. These self-charging hybrids are just stop/start cars on steroids On the open road it's a 2.5ltr petrol car and heavy at that.

To me consumption is irrelevant (but interesting) and does nothing to dampen my enjoyment from the car, it's performance, ride and handling...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Are these figures from the OBC?

Yes, same as what OP is quoting. I haven't done an actual calculation as I don't care too much. Like you my previous car was doing 20mpg, so it's all upside.

Several cars before I had an Avensis D-4D which the on board computer reported 60mpg, but in reality it was low 50s. I'm quite familiar with the ECU misreporting.

These self-charging hybrids are just stop/start cars on steroids

I mean, they're a bit more than that. They do capture some otherwise lost energy and the extra deployment by the electric engine really helps.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, NemesisUK said: 

I concur with the looks and it has by received more compliments from friends and total strangers than any other car I’ve owned …

Yes, the number of people who come up and admire the RC has, if anything, increased in my five years of ownership, evidencing that the car has remained, beyond its rarity, ahead of the pack in terms of design.  When approached by admirers I try and project an impression of polite urbanity accompanied by the merest hint of self-deprecatory nonchalance. My wife, when present on such occasions, is highly amused and accuses me, perhaps not unjustly, of being a hypocritical narcissist, albeit a harmless one.

I would add that the only country where admiration for the RC differs slightly from elsewhere is, in my experience, Germany.  There, people in hotel car-parks and filling station forecourts etc., tend to sidle up with a vague show of reticence and nod their head in approval of the car’s visible quality, implying that looks come second.

• Like 2

nice choice,  i went for black /rose , every one comments on it !

as for mpg i dont care , i just luv it..the seats are AMAZING last time i was this comfortable on 4.5 hr journey was in my old nsx ....

(my wife got 52mpg  on way from airport (work) tho on a 13 mile run )

she used to get 32 from the 450h gs we had previously