Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RELAX Warranty Confused?

Ian Mckay

Hi I have been in constant communication with my Dealer & Lexus Customer Service regarding Relax. I like many had recently purchased the 2-4-1 warranty when I bought my 3 year old car last year. I was happy with the scheme and thought it value for money. Then came the Lexus email, “ Good news you are now covered by relax”. I don’t know if it’s good news as Lexus refuse to provide a simple matrix comparing the 2 schemes in order for me to make an informed decision to continue with the purchased scheme or cancel that and go with Relax. I was told by Lexus customer service nobody else has asked for such information and they do not intend to produce a matrix. I have read over 60 emails on this subject to Jake Weaver (Lexus content manager) who still says they have on intention to produce such a simple helpful document. This is a poor show from Lexus on what should have been a great benefit, but has just left many of us confused. Is this something as a group we can put pressure on Lexus to produce?

No chance IMHO..

You could try this yourself, you have the T&Cs from your extended warranty and the T&Cs for the Relax are linked to on this forum, create your own matrix..

Not that it will mean much as there are many grey areas and 'weasel' words used ( I suspect in both documents) that a true comparison can never be made.

It will all come down to how it (the warranty) is interpreted and assessed on individual bases, as much could be done 'in goodwill'..

21 minutes ago, Ian Mckay said:

Then came the Lexus email, “ Good news you are now covered by relax”.

That should not have happened unless you had a service - Relax is triggered by having a service done.

In March we bought our 2018 RX, which came with 12-months Lexus Warranty that covers us to March 2022. On the same day we picked up our car I also completed the paperwork and started monthly payments on a 2-year 'traditional' Lexus Extended Warranty that we've all been used to for a few years now, and that comes into effect when the dealer warranty expires in March 2022. So, between the dealer warranty and our 'traditional' Extended Warranty, we're covered until March 2024.

I have not asked for a refund and I have no intention of giving up our 'proper' warranty in favour of Relax, which is a vastly inferior product.

The screenshot below is from the Lexus UK official Facebook page:

2021-06-05.thumb.png.5f1d020f43b07637c29be4ac60661a2c.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Herbie said:

That should not have happened unless you had a service

I imagine that email was simply marketing speak, not that the OP was now within the Relax scheme. Lexus cannot simply swap one over without consent or paperwork completion 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Herbie said:

That should not have happened unless you had a service - Relax is triggered by having a service done.

In March we bought our 2018 RX, which came with 12-months Lexus Warranty that covers us to March 2022. On the same day we picked up our car I also completed the paperwork and started monthly payments on a 2-year 'traditional' Lexus Extended Warranty that we've all been used to for a few years now, and that comes into effect when the dealer warranty expires in March 2022. So, between the dealer warranty and our 'traditional' Extended Warranty, we're covered until March 2024.

I have not asked for a refund and I have no intention of giving up our 'proper' warranty in favour of Relax, which is a vastly inferior product.

The screenshot below is from the Lexus UK official Facebook page:

2021-06-05.thumb.png.5f1d020f43b07637c29be4ac60661a2c.png

Your usual blunt communication 👍🤣 

• Haha 1

Hi All

I have just had my LS600h serviced at the end of the extended warranty and just before it's 10th birthday (low mileage so qualifies for Relax) but was not given any paperwork to confirm this. The dealer told me it was all registered on the Lexus system and that in the unlikely event a claim was made the dealer would check the system. Further research reveals there is a CWS (Central Warranty Service) which is accessible by dealers only.

I think Lexus should provide some evidential document detailing fully the T&C's and expiry date. 

Any thoughts?  Dave

The full T&Cs are available on their website and linked below.

https://d3rvezpmgp265q.cloudfront.net/lexusone/lexgbenv11/LexusRelaxTCs-25.05.21_tcm-3157-2291533.pdf

It has been said before there is no paperwork as the warranty is automatically applied to vehicles that fit the criteria, also found on their website.

20 hours ago, Herbie said:

Have you got evidence to show that it is a 'vastly inferior product'?

Thanks for all the responses

I think what is clear from these posts is that nobody has definitive evidence to prove which is the better warranty or if indeed the warranties are the same. This is mainly due to the vagueness of the wording for both warranties. What is certain is that Relax does not include Breakdown cover or MOT cover, beyond that only Lexus know and they are not sharing it WHY? 

I have until 19th august to decide to retain or get full refund.

I note your comment about relax only applies if manufacturing or assembly, but is that not the case with 2-4-1

If you have any more evidence that can help much appriciated

Ian 

8 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Does any (Lexus) warranty cover wear and tear?

I would expect the 12 month warranty given by Dealers to purchasers of used vehicles, to cover wear and tear as it is described as an "as new" warranty. Obviously the sooner an owner brings the problem to the attention of the Dealer the greater the chance of an accommodation.

20 minutes ago, Ian Mckay said:

I have until 19th august to decide to retain or get full refund.

I note your comment about relax only applies if manufacturing or assembly, but is that not the case with 2-4-1

If you have any more evidence that can help much appriciated

Ian 

Ian, I have kept mine, as have others and the evidence of its all embracing nature is scattered throughout the Membership.

As yet, there is no evidence available regarding the embracing nature of the Relax policy, other than what is contained within its Terms and Conditions. And that does not inspire confidence.

6 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

I would expect the 12 month warranty given by Dealers to purchasers of used vehicles, to cover wear and tear as it is described as an "as new" warranty. Obviously the sooner an owner brings the problem to the attention of the Dealer the greater the chance of an accommodation.

Not even the 3 year manufacturer's warranty covers normal wear and tear.

But I'm not really sure what that means - if you had a seat or steering wheel start to fade/go shiny for example then whist it could technically be described as wear and tear the part could be deemed not fit for purpose under the Consumer Rights Act. Maybe in this case Lexus knows the law is on the side of the owner and would warranty fix the issue even with the wear and tear clause within the warranty. 

28 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Does any (Lexus) warranty cover wear and tear?

No, certainly not in words, but there seems to be exceptions - if you consider the old used warranty, where a vehicle with unlimited mileage and up to 12 year old would be covered then the water pump is covered - and these fail due to wear.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

From the Select warranty cover on used cars

2.2 We will not pay for the cost of repairing or replacing any Protected Part that suffers a Mechanical or Electrical
Failure as a result of wear and tear.

https://d3rvezpmgp265q.cloudfront.net/lexusone/lexgbenv11/select_terms_and_conditions_2020_tcm-3157-1893670.pdf

But as Colin subsequently posts, I think Lexus take a pragmatic approach to some of these 'failures' Whether this approach would continue with the Relax version (as it's a 'no cost' warranty) only time will tell ..

1 hour ago, DanD said:

Have you got evidence to show that it is a 'vastly inferior product'?

You been living on Mars or something Dan?

There's plenty of evidence in the respective Ts & Cs but some that immediately come to mind are:

• Relax only covers up to 10 years old or 100k miles, whereas the 'proper' warranty was (with judicious planning) up to 12 years and (even without judicious planning) 140k miles
  • Relax doesn't include breakdown cover or MOTs unlike the 'proper' warranty
  • Relax doesn't cover multimedia head unit

to name just three aspects.

• Like 1

Hi DanD, agree with your 3 examples, however, I think a lot of people find it much more difficult to compare and contrast with most of the other aspects of the warranties.

THE DEVIL IS IN THE DETAIL, even more reason why Lexus should be up front and publish the facts. If relax is just as good then publish the matrix and prove it. I am new to this forum but just wonder if any member has sufficient influence within Lexus to put pressure on them to produce a simple matrix?

Ian 

57 minutes ago, Herbie said:

There's plenty of evidence in the respective Ts & Cs but some that immediately come to mind are:

• Relax only covers up to 10 years old or 100k miles, whereas the 'proper' warranty was (with judicious planning) up to 12 years and (even without judicious planning) 140k miles

True, but you are paying for the extended warranty whereas Relax is “free” with a Lexus service

Standing back, Lexus have changed things, and will I think just weather the storm for a year or so. 

It has obviously upset us forum members who know what the Extended Warranty covered. But it won't upset future owners to the brand who didn't know. We'll either have to put up with it or lump it.

With Lexus dealers mentioning 'free warranty until 10 years old' in their adverts, it is sure to win these prospective new customers.

Personally, I have a year left on my extended warranty that I won't be cashing in. By then I will see how any claims are processed under Relax, and decide whether to continue with the brand

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Herbie said:

Woah... steady on!

You make very good points but, as Antony pointed out, Relax is free. On that basis, I think it's a pretty good deal.