Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

So I gave my IS250 an interior clean last week and came to find that there was loads of water in the spare wheel well! Removed the grommets and managed to drain all of it but now concerned of where the source of the water ingress is? Last night checked my amp (ML audio system if it matters) and found some moisture around that area but the amp itself looked dry.

After some googling found that there's a vent besides the bumper where water comes in from but haven't done more checks for that. I removed 2 of the grommets in the spare wheel well to aid with water drainage in the future but is there any way to protect my amp from moisture? 

Hi Bogdan. What you've done is correct. Yes there have been numerous occasions about water Ingress I to the boot. Its from those vents. All I can suggest is occasionally look in the boot where the amp is to inspect. Wipe away all moisture if there is any. Those drain plugs I think have a hole in them to let water out. Make sure those plugs are clean and unblocked. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply Vlad! I'll probably strip the boot out a bit to check if the vent is damaged in any way or if I can deflect the water from the amp area then. The grommets I have in the wheel well were full rubber ones, no holes in them. 

The rubber flaps that are in the side vents are just a gravity seal, they are there to remove stale air from inside the car when it pressurised by either the fan or forward movement of the car, if the contact area of the rubber flap gets dirty it will not seal properly and may let in moisture, mainly from spray on wet motorways for example and not just rain showers.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 8/16/2021 at 2:07 PM, Texas said:

The rubber flaps that are in the side vents are just a gravity seal, they are there to remove stale air from inside the car when it pressurised by either the fan or forward movement of the car, if the contact area of the rubber flap gets dirty it will not seal properly and may let in moisture, mainly from spray on wet motorways for example and not just rain showers.

Hi Paul, 

Sorry where are the side vents located?

I too am finding water in the spare wheel space. There are rubber spaces that I can push/remove to drain the water, however I'm unsure where the water will go. Instead I have been drying the wheel well and trying to work out where all the water is coming from. 

I have checked the drain holes and they seem clear. 

Any advice welcomed.

John

After ripping out the panels in the boot, it turns out that the water is coming in from the rear lights. Looks like I will need to remove the lights and apply some sort of sealent and reinstall. Another one for the to-do-list. 

I did check the vents as shown in the above video and they were fine and the area was dry. 

‘Silicone’ you say…..I have used this in the past on rear light clusters and unlike silicone it does not actually ‘set’ but stays flexible and soft to allow for any movement in parts and sticks to plastic & metal alike ( silicone tends to stick to one or the other depending on which type you use)

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-roof-gutter-sealant-black-310ml/67521#product_additional_details_container

• Like 2