Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear Wheel Alignment

Tony C

Advice needed please!

My IS200Se has just had its 40,000 service at Oxford.

The tyre report shows that the o/side rear tyre has worn excessively on the inside.

The inner edge of the tyre is down to the legal limit, while the rest of it is 5mm.

All the other tyres are wearing evenly.

I am told that I need all the wheels realigned at a cost of £95, plus two new rear tyres, cost £125, all plus vat. I am told that it is not worth realigning the wheels with the old rear tyres on.

1. If the alignment is out, is it normal for just one tyre to wear?

2. Should I have this done at the dealer, or seek a cheaper option?

3. Is it correct that the wheels cannot be aligned with the existing tyres fitted?

Tyres are Bridgestone Potenzas.

Thanks.

1. it is not the alignment that is out it is the camber adjustment that is incorrect and it is possible for just one wheel to be out.

2. Dealers often charge a lot more than elsewhere so I would have a look around to see what prices you can get - if possible get a 4 wheel camber/alignment check it is also better if it a laser machine that is used.

3. To enable the wheels to be correctly adjusted it is required that new or equally worn tyres are on the vehicle - otherwise u will be adjusting the settings to compensate for the already worn tyre, which will just make things worse

pop down to Micheldever tyres in ...... micheldever Hants, just a trip down the A34 for you. They do an excellen job on the alignment and are also one of the cheapest places in the UK for tyres. Very very popular place.

You will have to book it in for the rear alignment though as it takes a while to do. Give em a call, the front alignment and adjust also gives readings only for the rear, and this you can get done by just turning up. However if you want the rears adjusted, which you do, then you have to book it in.

Tyres will be about £100 on the nose inc. VAT depending on the brand. The lexus Dunlop SP9000s are a couple of pound more, with the bridgestones less.

Micheldever tyres site