Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Acceptable mileage in courtesy car

Herbie

Our car is going into Lexus Preston on Friday for some warranty work. The DOME fuse that powers the cabin lights keeps blowing.

They are providing a courtesy car (although I have no idea which model it will be) but if the fault isn't fixed by close of business on Friday I'm assuming I'll have the car until at least Monday.

We had intended to go to visit family at the weekend but it would mean a round-trip of about 220 miles, which people have been telling my wife is beyond acceptable for a courtesy car and that no dealership would allow that. I've never needed a loan car from Lexus before so what's your experience of this?

Not my experience. I have never been told or read in the contract for a courtesy car I have had that there is a mileage limit. Just told bring it back with the same level of fuel as when you received it. However, individual dealerships may have different policies. Give them a ring and see what they say.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Our car is going into Lexus Preston on Friday for some warranty work. The DOME fuse that powers the cabin lights keeps blowing.

They are providing a courtesy car (although I have no idea which model it will be) but if the fault isn't fixed by close of business on Friday I'm assuming I'll have the car until at least Monday.

We had intended to go to visit family at the weekend but it would mean a round-trip of about 220 miles, which people have been telling my wife is beyond acceptable for a courtesy car and that no dealership would allow that. I've never needed a loan car from Lexus before so what's your experience of this?

Linas has done considerably more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, PRT68 said:

I've done the same mileage over two days. Just replaced the fuel used, and nothing was said.

Snap.

Return it clean and fuel replaced and all will be well.

• Like 1

I’ve never signed any courtesy car agreement over the last 4-5 years I’d say. They just don’t do them any more although there does now seem to be a charge of about £12. They used to have signed agreements but from memory these were mainly aimed at the insurance clauses and damage and speeding fines etc. Unless you sign an agreement stipulating a mileage limit or you have a mileage limit specifically and verbally confirmed to you at the point you are handed the keys then there cannot be a mileage limit. There just can’t be. 220 miles for what is effectively 3 days sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

• Like 1

I had my car in for service at Lexus Preston a few months ago.

I had a loan car and they were not concerned about useage, just enjoy the car was what was essentially said. I only did 10 miles in it, so you can use up some of the mileage I didn't use 👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

probably a 1000 or two might be an eyebrow raiser but a few hundred miles shouldn't concern any one at all ..........  why even refill the fuel ............  it's a " courtesy " car for heavens sake 

what would I know, I've never had one in my life so my thoughts are just those of someone who would probably ask at the outset and expect an answer similar to my thoughts tbh

Just ask them I would think 

Malc

1 hour ago, Malc said:

why even refill the fuel ............  it's a " courtesy " car for heavens sake

It's a courtesy car, not courtesy fuel. :wink: IMO if they are courteous enough to lend you a car, it's only good manners to be courteous enough to fill it back up to the same fuel level.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, dublet said:

It's a courtesy car, not courtesy fuel. :wink: IMO if they are courteous enough to lend you a car, it's only good manners to be courteous enough to fill it back up to the same fuel level.

+1. I always give it back with more fuel in that when I took it out because I'm hopeless at judging anything. Being able to come home instead of staying at the dealership or wandering aimlessly around Leicester makes up for that though. It's nice to drive something different too, even if they consistently refuse to let me have an LC.

• Like 2

I stopped referring to them as courtesy cars but call them Hire Vehicles instead.

First one or two times I was trying to be mindful of the mileage clocked up. That was until I was given a brand new NX for a week whilst the dealer was trying to sort out the A/C amplifier.

I did around 800 miles within the week. Not a word mentioned.

• Like 1

I have been in the same position as the OP a couple of times, and informed the dealership out of courtesy, because I thought it might influence the car they were planning to give me, based the mileage already covered by the courtesy car. It's never been a problem. I guess that if you were not using that courtesy car, another customer most probably would.

I have also at times requested a specific courtesy car: I requested an RX in place of an RX because I needed to carry 4 passengers over a weekend, and I requested an LC500 V8... simply because I wanted to try one. I found that, given enough notice, the dealership was always happy to oblige.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DanD said:

... I have also at times requested a specific courtesy car .... simply because I wanted to try one ... the dealership was always happy to oblige.

Right.  Especially if you are believed, rightly or wrongly, to be thinking of buying the model requested, but also if you are a loyal and valued customer.  I too requested and was given an LC even when the dealer knew I wasn't in the market for it.  And it strengthened my loyalty to the dealership. 

• Like 3