Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Untouched nuts and bolts

Mr Vlad

This is just a heads up to anyone who's nuts and bolts on their 14 year old cars have never been touched.

Today I wanted to take the front suspension off the my car. The bottom bolt could not be undone even using a professional 3 foot long bar. 

The bolts couldn't even be undone by a pneumatic wrench.

So I went to my local Halfords and the only way to release the nuts was with heat.

So my suggestion and recommendation to anyone who may get in to a similar situation be prepared to pay a visit to a garage.

Oh this is for All models of car.

I've always sworn by PlusGas, a product that has always unsiezed every threaded nut or bolt I've applied it to. For those really stubborn joints, leave it overnight and they will yield. Best penetrating oil I have used for well over 40 plus years. Obviously, heat will usually achieve the same result, but sometimes this is simply an impossible solution.

Innotec Deblock oil is very good.

As well as being a release oil it also freezes and creates micro-cracks in the rust that allows the oil to penetrate where it's needed.

Going the other end of the temperature scale, a handheld induction heater is also very good.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

This is just a heads up to anyone who's nuts and bolts on their 14 year old cars have never been touched.

Today I wanted to take the front suspension off the my car. The bottom bolt could not be undone even using a professional 3 foot long bar. 

The bolts couldn't even be undone by a pneumatic wrench.

So I went to my local Halfords and the only way to release the nuts was with heat.

So my suggestion and recommendation to anyone who may get in to a similar situation be prepared to pay a visit to a garage.

Oh this is for All models of car.

I have used heat in some circumstances but not close to rubber.  Saw some tests done in the USA on penetrating oil and one of the best was achieved by using a mix of auto transmission oil and acetone that did very well in comparison with proprietary brands.  I can't remember the mix although you don't mix too much at a time as the acetone tends to evaporate.  You do need time for it to help whatever you use and certainly WD40 is not a release product.

Thanks Paul, I did mean acetone and have amended my post accordingly.  Also, appreciate your link which referred to what I said.

I used to use +gas but there are now better release agents including the home brewed one I mentioned.

I have watched and can recommend the tests on various things this guy does.  This is his second one on releasing fluids which shows how results can differ.  You will note that the acetone one is mentioned early on as finishing a close second to the batch he tested in a previous video.  

• Like 1

Blimey I wasn't expecting any replies but am pleasantly surprised. I've seen that video before and it seems funny how he seems to like Seafoam and CRC products. Was surprised just how rubbish WD40 is and to think I've been using that stuff 40 plus years. Must make a note what Edd China uses. Thanks anyway guys some great replies 👍 

(now to codge up some new dust rubbers on my front suspension)

• Like 2