Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How does this work?

I asked my local parts Dealer for a price of a part, He said? £190 Inc Vat...... on search on Interweb, same genuine part £40 cheaper from Japan, including priority shipping, Surely no justification for such a large difference. 🥵

UK Lexus pricing policy..... retail cost of part, add UK surcharge of 30% then add another 20% VAT.

Take Toyota type IV transmission fluid, UK price is around £60.00 for 5 litres, USA price for equivalent amount around $30.00.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Stompe said:

I asked my local parts Dealer for a price of a part, He said? £190 Inc Vat...... on search on Interweb, same genuine part £40 cheaper from Japan, including priority shipping, Surely no justification for such a large difference. 🥵

Try running a business and see the cost just in overheads Steve 🤑

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Try running a business and see the cost just in overheads Steve 🤑

Doesn't bode well, now we are out of the EU, Steve. Still believe we are being ripped off. 👍🏻

10 minutes ago, Stompe said:

Doesn't bode well, now we are out of the EU, Steve. Still believe we are being ripped off. 👍🏻

Interestingly Steve, once our trade agreement with Japan, CEPA, was signed last October it allowed better trading arrangements than existed before in some areas than under the EU arrangements. So it may be the case that your part is now cheaper than it would have been prior to Brexit. 

Dealers over price lots of items, they sell the products at inflated prices usually over even SRP's. You will also have different dealers quote you completely different prices as they work on localized mark ups. Because they can.  Id buy the import, our trade agreement with Japan isnt awful so thats always a positive. Pre brexit it would of probably cost you more than it does now. 

3 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Interestingly Steve, once our trade agreement with Japan, CEPA, was signed last October it allowed better trading arrangements than existed before in some areas than under the EU arrangements. So it may be the case that your part is now cheaper than it would have been prior to Brexit. 

substitute "different" for "better" Phil ?😉

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

substitute "different" for "better" Phil ?😉

If the agreement calls for a wider range of tariff free goods then I interpret that as being better for both sides which makes it different to that which existed previously. 😎

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

If the agreement calls for a wider range of tariff free goods then I interpret that as being better for both sides which makes it different to that which existed previously. 😎

The EU has since signed a better trade deal with Japan than the UK has. 🤷‍♂️

https://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/in-focus/eu-japan-economic-partnership-agreement/index_en.htm

The UK is just one huge rip-off. Even businesses that don't want to rip us off do so inadvertently because they're being ripped-off elsewhere, so they have to put their prices up to meet their obligations.

But hey-ho, that's how we roll in the UK and it'll never change.

My favourite example is the two photos below - prices may not be exact because it was quite a few years ago now but they're close enough to make the point.

One is an enamel-coated, pressed steel roasting pan, bought on Preston Market for £4.95

The other is an enamel-coated, pressed steel Nissan Oil Sump Pan. OK, it has a few holes drilled in the lip and it has a few fancy decorative lines on that serve no actual purpose at all. The sump pan cost me £147.50

I can understand that the sump pan should cost more, but not that much more.

SAM_0990.thumb.JPG.4896b24bce9e4cf98cc5f784a30a0433.JPG

SAM_0985.thumb.JPG.1eeeee9fe4bd1f170af5e5838f11283d.JPG

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Okay, but you are comparing apples and oranges. One is made to certain tolerances, confirms to certain standards, has QA applied to it, comes with an implied warranty, and is produced in lower quantities.

Additionally the roasting pan also isn't exposed to the elements, with vitreous enamel susceptible to "crack or shatter when the substrate is stressed or bent", so it wouldn't last all that long when it gets a whack from something hitting it underneath.

The real question you should ask is why is the roasting pan so cheap? Which then leads to paying starvation wages, lack of regulation with regards to pollution controls of the factory that made it, etc.

But by all means, bolt a roasting tin to the bottom of your engine and report back the results. You might get roasted a few more times though 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I dont think its really fair to compare dealer prices to internet offers from where ever.  Dealers have a company to run with massive cost and are struggling to make money. If they return a profit it is at an all time low and the future is bleak. Change-over to BEV with less maintenance and no fluids like oil,cooling etc will create a dangerous environment. On top of that there is a trend that more cars are beeing sold on the internet ( Volvo sales 20% web based already). So, it could well be the dealer price is honest and that is what they need to cover cost and make a little money, that is different than ripping someone off.

We are talking about car parts here but it is virtually thesame for all products. Buy designer jeans costing 250 pounds ( yes they exist!) or surf to Ali Express and buy one for 5 Pound? Thats produced, wrapped shipped to the other side of the world for 5 Pound. I guess we all know why this is so cheap dont we.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

The world has gone mad Dublet. You can buy a car for that money..

You can buy 2 (admittedly terrible) cars for that, and have change for a night at the local pub. The worst thing is those jeans don't even look good. And I say that as a someone with questionable fashion sense.

• Haha 1

When it comes to cars and car parts, audio and photographical stuff, similar or identical here can be had cheaper in the USA. I brought a camera back a few years ago at considerable saving.  Also, how is it that we can import some parts for our cars from the USA at a saving.  Appreciate economies of scale could account for some of difference but not when goods shipped again to UK from USA.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stompe said:

So, are we expected to just swallow these high prices......Great, if Money is no object,But i will always search for the best deal.

Of course not Steve, it's your responsibility to get the best deal 👍No doubt your employer made a similar judgement call when paying you some of the highest amounts in the world? 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

When it comes to cars and car parts, audio and photographical stuff, similar or identical here can be had cheaper in the USA. I brought a camera back a few years ago at considerable saving.  Also, how is it that we can import some parts for our cars from the USA at a saving.  Appreciate economies of scale could account for some of difference but not when goods shipped again to UK from USA.

I recall even going back as far as the late seventies the US - £ was always 1 for 1. So with their much higher pay rates being a consumer then was a much cheaper option. Over the years things like lower tariffs, cheaper shipping have helped a lot but the undeniable fact is the USA with a population of 300M+ and the highest disposable income in the world is the keystone market if you are a manufacturer, just look at the RRP of Lexus at current exchange rates 😱

7 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

When it comes to cars and car parts, audio and photographical stuff, similar or identical here can be had cheaper in the USA. I brought a camera back a few years ago at considerable saving.

US doesn't have VAT though. Granted most states have sales tax - but this is always less, maximum is 8.25%

59 minutes ago, dublet said:

US doesn't have VAT though. Granted most states have sales tax - but this is always less, maximum is 8.25%

People in Los Angeles would love to pay that 🤑. Live there, the most expensive US state with 3 different taxes, which is why there's a wholesale emigration to states such as Texas and Florida. 

• 2 months later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links