Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Se Stereo - No Mp3 Or No Cd-r ?

Hi all,

Purcahsed a 1999 IS200 SE last Saturday and joined the club today.

On my way to work today I loaded up my 6 stacker with various CD-R's all containing MP3 albums ripped off the net....... waiting for the first tune to kick in :whistling: waiting......

:whistling: waiting.....nothing, it would not read any of the tracks!

So whats the score here doesn't the standard Lexus Cd Player read CD-R Cd's or is that it does not read MP3 format?

next question....if it is the MP3 problem, how can I play MP3's on my stereo, I have 1000's of MP3 albums...can't drive without my tunes :crybaby: !

Thanks in advance,

The Silent Driver

it will play cd-r's but only if the songs are in noral cda format - ie not MP3 format

options - burn the albums as normal format, change the radio to aftermarket, get an mp3 player with a radio frequency transmitter and pick it up via the radio

get an mp3 player with a radio frequency transmitter and pick it up via the radio

I was told that those radio transmitter things are technically illegal in the UK, I still don't know if this is true or not (and even if they are illegal, how would anyone find out unless they were about three feet from your car?).

Another option is to buy an mp3 player and one of those cassette head car kit things - they look horrible though.

AFAIK the FM transmitter IS currently illegal in the UK.

Another option is to use a cassette adaptor. I use one for my iPod which sounds brilliant on the lexus sound system.

Thanks for your reply,

Can you explain what you mean by changing my radio to aftermarket?

Also can you recommend any MP3 players which can be run by radio frequency?

Thanks again

Dan

aftermarket head unit means fitting a non standard/factory fit radio/cd unit eg a sony, blaupunkt etc in place of the existing head unit. for this you will require a facia plate to convert the double DIN fitting to a single DIN fitting, do a search for " facia plate". If you have sat nav then this is not possible.

as for wireless mp3 players look at http://www.ihavetohave.it/acatalog/In_Car_mp3.html a few people here have the hard drive based units and they seem to work well - i dont have one myself.

but be aware that any form of FM transmitter that operates on the public frequency ie 88 -> 105 mhz ( or whatever it is) would require a license for it to be operated, but you can still buy the unit and the transmitter, what u do with it is up to u.

to be honest its prob a whole lot easier to get a portable mp3 player and an adaptor to play it thru the existing radio - believe you can get cd based adaptors now?

Thanks for your reply,

Can you explain what you mean by changing my radio to aftermarket?

Also can you recommend any MP3 players which can be run by radio frequency?

Thanks again

Dan

aftermarket head unit means fitting a non standard/factory fit radio/cd unit eg a sony, blaupunkt etc in place of the existing head unit. for this you will require a facia plate to convert the double DIN fitting to a single DIN fitting, do a search for " facia plate". If you have sat nav then this is not possible.

as for wireless mp3 players look at http://www.ihavetohave.it/acatalog/In_Car_mp3.html a few people here have the hard drive based units and they seem to work well - i dont have one myself.

but be aware that any form of FM transmitter that operates on the public frequency ie 88 -> 105 mhz ( or whatever it is) would require a license for it to be operated, but you can still buy the unit and the transmitter, what u do with it is up to u.

to be honest its prob a whole lot easier to get a portable mp3 player and an adaptor to play it thru the existing radio - believe you can get cd based adaptors now?

...or just stick with the cheapest option - keep burning those CD-Rs!

it will play cd-r's but only if the songs are in noral cda format - ie not MP3 format

options - burn the albums as normal format, change the radio to aftermarket,

Just burn them to cd-rs thats what i did, and trust me you listen to each album much more fully :lol:

If you get an aftermarket HU, you need to get a new amp and change all the speakers too (to get a decent sounding system), replace the hu, you replace the whole lot. And if you have sat nav this is option is not advisable unless you keep the stock HU in the boot.

PS welcome to club, and dont forget to go GOLD!!!

Or as a completely off the wall and seemingly unheard of solution ...

You could try 'buying' some cd's pre-pressed with music already on them.

Bizarre i know but even places like woolworths seem to sell them these days.

Or if funds are in short supply, try cdwow - better value from there.

Clearly though, funds aren't in short supply...

given the 100's or 1000's you'll spend on kit to play your stolen music.

Apparently, some money from proper cd's goes to the recording artist.

This is to provide food and clothes for their families and so on.

Thus equipped, they can then continue to produce their music.

Regarding "I have 1000's of MP3 albums."

May i suggest admin passes the posters details to the police and f.a.c.t.

LOL - suttle as ever tony :lol: :winky:

I'm sure hes talking about back ups!!!!

MP3 is 2000+ format!!!

I used to carry a load of bought CDs in my car but they got nicked along with the HU and anything else that wasn't nailed down. I couldn't claim for them on my insurance (and the police never caught the thieving toe-rag who broke in either) so now I just make my own compilations on CDRs.

I have 200 CDs (2500 tracks) on my MP3 player - all from my own CDs. Saves trying to work out which ones to load in the CD player or carrying them all around.

Other good places for cheap CDs:

101.com - have older (and cheaper) stuff that you can't get at cdwow.

musicchristian.com - for christian stuff for those that way inclined (eg delerious, 12 stones)

I have 200 CDs (2500 tracks) on my MP3 player - all from my own CDs. Saves trying to work out which ones to load in the CD player or carrying them all around.

That sounds reasonable, as does making compilations from cd's you've bought.

Simply ripping them from the net (ie. intellectual property theft) is dubious.

In my book, such criminals rank up there with car thieves + muggers.

A worrying indication of some peoples morals isn't it...

First thought when deciding they want something...

< Hmmm, where can i steal (download) it from ? >

MP3 sound quality is inferior to normal CD which in turn is inferior to a vinyl LP.

In fact, pretty much any audio visual 'digital' format is inferior to its analogue predecessor.

Progress ?? Hmmm,

Gates version of Darwins evolution theories must be infecting further afield :angry:

I weep for the future... probably too late so i'll weep for the present too !!

:crybaby:

Club Comic strikes a serious note :whistling:

I have over 800 original CDs which I have bought and store at home. I use backups of my originals that I have made in the Lexus CD changer as I wish to keep the originals in tip top condition at home. (I currently only have about 10 backups in a CD case that I keep in the car).

I also have an 40gb iPod on which I store AAC versions of my albums. I normally only use my iPod if I am not using the car that day or when I am at work.

I used to download mp3s on Kazaa/Napster etc but because the sound quality differed between each song, I deleted all of them. Now I only resort to using Kazaa/Soulseek to download bootlegs/remixes which are pretty much impossible to find on vinyl or CD because they are out of print/too rare.

Does this make me a pirate Tony? I think it's unfair that you group people who download music illegally with muggers and thieves as not all downloaders of music are connected to Kazaa 24/7 trying to download anything and everything to add to their vast collection.

Does this make me a pirate Tony?

Ha Ha :arrrggg-matey:

At least you and i make the effort to buy the originals where possible.

I've no probs with duplicates / compilations etc where rights to use are in place.

Typically this means buying the cd but could be a download if sanctioned by artist.

unfair you group people who download music illegally with muggers and thieves

Theft is theft...

not all downloaders of music are connected to Kazaa 24/7 trying to download anything and everything to add to their vast collection.

Agreed - makes you laugh doesn't it ...

Some must spend more stealing music, producing the cd's, labels etc than it costs to buy :duh:

Anyway, i'm sure you must see my point....

There's those who obtain tunes legitimately + use as they will - no probs there.

Then there's those who never buy any + go to huge lengths to steal everything.

May the germs from a million Netsky + Bagel worms infest their pc's for all eternity :devil:

In fact, pretty much any audio visual 'digital' format is inferior to its analogue predecessor.

This statment seems to be lacking a little nuance to say the least :winky:

As I am in the business of authoring DVD/SACD I find that the optical media (CD/DVD/SACD) are rarely the limiting factor in the listening experience. True, the resolution of the plain old Audio-CD is on the edge of the capabilities of the human ear, but still the recording environment/equipment and playback equipment are usually the defining factor. So getting good equipment (this also goes for the recording artist) is the key. And sadly, in hifi-land you don't always get what you pay for, there's a lot of non-scientific hype.

Don't even get me started on analog video :nuke: _ :nuke:

Cheers,

RX-Men-8

Ha Ha :arrrggg-matey:

At least you and i make the effort to buy the originals where possible.

I've no probs with duplicates / compilations etc where rights to use are in place.

Typically this means buying the cd but could be a download if sanctioned by artist.

There are many sites out there which provide free mp3/other format downloads, usually as a taster of what to expect. If I do download a commercial mp3 from Kazaa/Soulseek and I do like it, I usually end up buying the album it came from along with the artist's back catalogue - not because I feel legally obliged to but because I like the artist.

Agreed - makes you laugh doesn't it ...

Some must spend more stealing music, producing the cd's, labels etc than it costs to buy :duh:

And it's these people that the authorities need to clamp down on... not 12 year old schoolkids who download mp3s from their PC at home. The RIAA need to look at other measures to inform casual home users that it's not ok to download copyrighted material illegally. Education rather than a heavy handed approach is better in this situation.

Anyway, i'm sure you must see my point....

There's those who obtain tunes legitimately + use as they will - no probs there.

Then there's those who never buy any + go to huge lengths to steal everything.

May the germs from a million Netsky + Bagel worms infest their pc's for all eternity :devil:

Course I see your point.

Record companies need to also realise that the market is changing - digital music as a form of distribution is getter bigger and they are realising that there is money to be made from legal downloads - look at Apple's iTunes and Coca Cola's cokemusic.com websites - they're already proving very popular with music lovers who want to download music legally. These sites let the user download what they want to so instead of buying a CD album with maybe 3 or 4 tracks you like, you only buy the tracks you want.

True, one of the main excuses people give when asked why they download mp3s is that old chesnut, 'CDs are too expensive.' Even if the record companies lower their prices, you'll always get someone who'll want it for free and that basically is where it all stems from.

Oh, and here's a tip - avoid Virgin Megastores like the plague when buying full priced albums. Some of the markup prices they put on albums are astronomical - I've seen a markup of almost 80% on one particular title in my local one. :tsktsk: