Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus RX300 - rear/front break hoses/pipes

Hi, I think it is time to replace brake hoses in my car. I was about to order some parts from US from Rockauto but they only have RX330 in their parts catalogue. My car is from 2005  and I was wondering if RX300 and RX330 are the same thing and I can order the hoses or are these models are different and it won’t work?

I found a few sellers on eBay selling hoses for about 30-40 quid each while in US it’s about £10 so the difference in price is quite significant so I am tempted to give it ago.

By the way has anyone replaced brake pipes in their cars? Is it a pricey job? 

Hi @djgrubber I personally wouldn't bother unless it was indicated by an MOT or a garage.

You can find the part numbers for your car on here: http://toylexparts.com

then see what vehicles they are compatible with. If US-model RX-330s have the same part number then that answers your question.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, djgrubber said:

By the way has anyone replaced brake pipes in their cars?

Never as a matter of routine, only if there's a problem.

What about ECP or other motor factors?

If you have a local branch of http://pirtek.co.uk they may sell them 'off the shelf' or they will certainly be able to make them up for you.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Herbie said:

Never as a matter of routine, only if there's a problem.

What about ECP or other motor factors?

If you have a local branch of http://pirtek.co.uk they may sell them 'off the shelf' or they will certainly be able to make them up for you.

I will give them a call, many thanks!

3 hours ago, m4rkw said:

Hi @djgrubber I personally wouldn't bother unless it was indicated by an MOT or a garage.

You can find the part numbers for your car on here: http://toylexparts.com

then see what vehicles they are compatible with. If US-model RX-330s have the same part number then that answers your question.

I have the following advisories on my MOT:

Offside Front Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
Offside Rear Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))
Nearside Front Brake hose has slight corrosion to ferrule (1.1.12 (f) (i))
Offside Front Brake hose has slight corrosion to ferrule (1.1.12 (f) (i))

Is my thinking correct that brake hose and brake pipe are two different things? I thought I would replace both front and rear brake hoses cause there is some corrosion near to ferrule and also deal with break pipes at the same time. The garage would probably need to order break pipes locally.

3 hours ago, m4rkw said:

Also I'm not sure I'd be willing to cheap out on something like a brake hose. That much of a price difference is probably for a reason!

I know what you mean, but in this case it is not about quality. In the UK car parts for Lexus cars are totally overpriced when compared to US or EU market. Same thing applies to car parts for American cars if you order in the EU. I remember when I tried to get some parts for my muscle car and when I went to a shop with parts in an EU country they asked me for insane money, while from US together with import duties + VAt it was still 50% cheaper. The same applies to Lexus parts. 

Most sellers out there import the same staff and it is the same quality or the same brands, it just the UK price which is different and totally insane... (unfortunately...).