Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

GS SALOON 450h 3.5 SE 2010 4dr CVT Aut

Hi,

I am close to buying the above model first registered January 2010, and i have a few concerns, i understand there was a problem with the valve springs and wondered if it would have affected the car i'm interested in, also should i be concerned about the Battery, the car has only done 45000 miles.

Also as a newbie and first time Lexus buyer i would be grateful for any tips and advice you could give me

Regards

Mike

Battery anxiety alleviated until 2025 by having Lexus yearly hybrid check.

Engine should be good for another 100,000 miles.

Had mine for over a year now and nothing has actually failed, even though costs have been involved, but wear and tear is expected on any car over ten years old.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Michael Walsh said:

Hi,

I am close to buying the above model first registered January 2010, and i have a few concerns, i understand there was a problem with the valve springs and wondered if it would have affected the car i'm interested in, also should i be concerned about the battery, the car has only done 45000 miles.

Also as a newbie and first time Lexus buyer i would be grateful for any tips and advice you could give me

Regards

Mike

Does it have a good Service and M.O.T. history?

Ask Lexus if it has had all its recalls done.

Are you buying privately or from a Motor Trader?

Mine is on 63,000 without problems.

• Like 1

Hi John

Thanks for replying, i'm buying it from a main Lexus dealer so i hope it will be thoroughly checked, i will ask the question.

For info, i am getting the Lexus because i don't think the current MB cars are a patch on my 1986 300SE which i have had for 34 years.

Mike

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Michael Walsh said:

Hi John

Thanks for replying, i'm buying it from a main Lexus dealer so i hope it will be thoroughly checked, i will ask the question.

For info, i am getting the Lexus because i don't think the current MB cars are a patch on my 1986 300SE which i have had for 34 years.

Mike

I agree with you re M.B.  and their Dealers are less than poor.

The valve spring problem apparently only affected cars built between 2006 and 2008 so yours should not have been affected.

https://www.cars.com/research/lexus-gs_450h/recalls/

The information link is for USDM versions but may prove useful, if you have the registration number and a few other details you can also check on a dedicated Lexus UK checker.

The MOT history checker is also an invaluable way of seeing if there are any “advisories” suggesting future repairs may be necessary for example “slight play in lower ball joint” or “dust cover deteriorated”.

Other items like “near side tyre close to legal limit” also give an idea as to whether previous owners have looked after the car when it comes to essential checks.

Finally as you are purchasing from a motor dealer the Consumer Rights Act provides you with protection should something major go wrong with the car, this is particularly useful within the first 6 months when any defect is deemed to have been present at purchase so any “wear and tear” excuses are difficult to disprove by the dealer.

Finally finally you are buying one of the most consistently reliable brands in the world so relax and enjoy the experience 😀

• Like 2

Unfortunately a 2010 car would fall just outside of the automatic Lexus Relax warranty, but if you are concerned about batteries and replacement cost, you might be pleased to know that there are third parties offering repair services for less than you might expect - at least if you're expecting Lexus dealership prices:

https://www.hybridbatterysolutions.co.uk/

Hybrids are somewhat "old" tech now, reading up on it should alleviate some of your concerns:

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/electric-cars/94872/buying-a-used-hybrid-car-the-complete-guide

Hi John

i hope to get it on Friday and given that the last car i bought was in 1987 it will take me a good while to get used to all the dials and lights, i'm dreading the drive home , i will  get some pictures done when my hands have stopped shaking 😀

Regards

Mike

• Like 1

I understand fully Mike. It took me  a full 12 months to come to terms with mine. I read and re read the Owners Handbook, but still had Mercedes on my mind. However, all is fine now and it is the best car I have had or will probably ever have. Enjoy.

• Like 2

Give yourself some extra time before you set off to get comfortable. The Lexus dealership should be happy enough to spare some time with you to go through any features.

The manual is over 600 pages: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/911047/Lexus-Gs450h.html

If in doubt, the circular thing in the middle in front of you is for changing direction, the stalk to the left is for indicating direction, the right pedal on the floor is for going faster, and the pedal on the left is for going slower. 😉

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, dublet said:

The Lexus dealership should be happy enough to spare some time with you to go through any features.

If they have a LOT of spare time, they could even go through the sat nav system.  Although having made the journey there he probably won’t have to use it on the way back.

All you really need to know is how to turn the darn thing off in one action without taking your eyes off the road.

Apart from that, Michael, I’m sure you’ll find it an absolute pleasure to own and drive.

When I got mine I realised I was actually inventing reasons for popping out, just for the satisfaction of driving. It.

Childish or what?!

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Mossypossy said:

Foot operated handbrake is a bit weird but works really well.

Yes, they do.  But I recall my first encounter with this system, many years ago when I arrived at Newark Airport and the airport bus eventually found my hire car in the parking lot.  Having got my luggage and myself settled, I checked the location of the handbrake prior to firing up - only to discover that I obviously had the cheaper model without one.

While I looked in all the obvious places, I reflected on the long walk back to the terminal building just to ask where the handbrake was.  And then I noticed the little button on the floor near the pedals!

The other thing I then discovered about American cars of that era, while driving it down the spiral ramp, was that they wallowed in a most disconcerting way.

31 minutes ago, LenT said:

Yes, they do.  But I recall my first encounter with this system, many years ago when I arrived at Newark Airport and the airport bus eventually found my hire car in the parking lot.  Having got my luggage and myself settled, I checked the location of the handbrake prior to firing up - only to discover that I obviously had the cheaper model without one.

While I looked in all the obvious places, I reflected on the long walk back to the terminal building just to ask where the handbrake was.  And then I noticed the little button on the floor near the pedals!

The other thing I then discovered about American cars of that era, while driving it down the spiral ramp, was that they wallowed in a most disconcerting way.

"And then I noticed the little button on the floor near the pedals!"

Very interesting Len, as that little button in my 1949 Minor operated the Headlights !

"The other thing I then discovered about American cars of that era, while driving it down the spiral ramp, was that they wallowed in a most disconcerting way."

I first noticed that too Len, but I was watching HIGHWAY PATROL starring Broderick Crawford.

• Like 1

Hello everyone 

Thank you all for your advice, it was great to know there is a wealth of knowledge available to me on this site.

I have a great mechanic I have used for over 20 years, he has worked on GS 450 previously, I was going to use him for servicing and get an annual Hybrid check by Lexus, what do you think?

Mike

On 8/23/2021 at 9:15 AM, Michael Walsh said:

Mike

Had a 350SE 1980 and think they were better built then, than the new ones they make today.