Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RCF Front Inner Tyre Wear

Hi all,

Just had the 6yr service on my 15 RCF. All green down the sheet with the exception of front tyres which came with an advisory for inner wear.

Tyre measurements taken at 4 points across the tyre starting at the inner edge measured 2,5,5,5 on both front tyres.

Lexus tech said this is normal for the F and alignment is fine - it had 4 wheel laser done at Lexus Stockport last Aug.

I just wondered what other owners experience of this was? I took both of my previous Lexus to WIM and had Tony's GEO settings applied which eliminated inner tyre wear.

Wondering whether to do the same with the F, but being an F, perhaps its a characteristic of the performance setup anyway? Would eliminating inner tyre wear with a small camber adjustment compromise the handling performance?

Still, got the perfect excuse I have been waiting for to replace the Bridgestones with Michelin's now.

Never had that issue with mine…. Just looked at my 3 sets of alloys n tyres that i have and all been used on car and all bar one of the 12 tyres are wearing eveningly, the one that’s not is a rear and tire pressure checked and its 4psi higher than rest hence middle wearing quicker

you need some adjustment

16 minutes ago, BillNick said:

Potentially a silly question: Are TPMS reused? Am I better going to Lexus for tyres because of the TPMS or absolutely not?

Never had them before that's all....

When I had a valve stem snapped off by a helpful passerby, I simply drove round to a large local tyre retailer who matched the TPMS, replaced the broken one and set up the new one - all for £65.

I think I’d try that route first.  As for the tyres, when. I decided on Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5s I got a quote from my regular Lexus dealer.  Somewhat to my surprise, they matched the local tyre dealer I usually use.

However, in the end, I went with the tyre dealer because I was also having a set of Alloygator Rim Protectors fitted.  Otherwise I would have gone with the Lexus offer and tied it in with a regular service.  So it’s always worth getting a quote from your local dealer.  You may be pleasantly surprised!

As for reusing the TPMS valves, you have to consider their age.  They’re already 6 years old and the Battery life is variable, very dependent on usage.  But if you’re going to fit a new set of tyres than there’s a good chance the batteries won’t last the life of the tyres..  Which means you’ll have to have the tyres removed again to have the valves replaced.

So it’s definitely easier - and cheaper - to have the valves replaced at the same time as the new tyres.  You could probably negotiate an all-in price for the whole job.  But it also depends on whether you plan to keep the car long enough to offset the additional cost - and your own finances!

So good luck with all that!

I had this on my wifes car a few years ago.  I had the car tracked and it was spot on.

After some research I discovered that driving over those speed humps, (where you straggle the bump) causes the front inner edge of the tyres to wear excessively. As her journey to work involved driving over said bumps, then this was the cause of the wear.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/66969/do-speed-humps-cause-tyre-damage-

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LenT said:

As for reusing the TPMS valves, you have to consider their age.  They’re already 6 years old and the battery life is variable, very dependent on usage.  But if you’re going to fit a new set of tyres than there’s a good chance the batteries won’t last the life of the tyres..  Which means you’ll have to have the tyres removed again to have the valves replaced.

So it’s definitely easier - and cheaper - to have the valves replaced at the same time as the new tyres.  You could probably negotiate an all-in price for the whole job.  But it also depends on whether you plan to keep the car long enough to offset the additional cost - and your own finances!

This. I'd consider having them replaced when the tyres are off, just because they've already done the hard work of actually taking the tyres off.

13 minutes ago, Grumps said:

I had this on my wifes car a few years ago.  I had the car tracked and it was spot on.

After some research I discovered that driving over those speed humps, (where you straggle the bump) causes the front inner edge of the tyres to wear excessively. As her journey to work involved driving over said bumps, then this was the cause of the wear.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/66969/do-speed-humps-cause-tyre-damage-

Interesting RE those speed humps....we do have 1 road closeby which I use SOMETIMES, but def not enough to wear the inner edges.

Think I will get a quote from Lexus, I know what tyres I want to it's all on price match - or not as they case may be.

How much are OEM TPMS does anyone know?

Can't really comment re tyre wear, different car but never seen any other posts mentioning inner wear.

But regarding your next tyre choice, I've had both PS4 (previous set) and PS4S (current set) and would honestly say unless you are likely to do some track days, the PS4 tyres are more than enough for road use, also watched 'tyre reviews' youtube channel and the conclusions were the same. The only reason I swapped to PS4S was a coupon code that made them the same price as the PS4's, so thought might as well give them a bash!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hockeyedwards said:

Can't really comment re tyre wear, different car but never seen any other posts mentioning inner wear.

My RC300h was showing inner edge wear but on the rears at 24 months and 20k miles not enough to change them, the service tech said it was normal on the RC

3 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

My RC300h was showing inner edge wear but on the rears at 24 months and 20k miles not enough to change them, the service tech said it was normal on the RC

The hybrids are prone to inner rear edge wear due to Battery placement, my old CT flat spotted its tyres and I was also advised 'normal', but as the OP is talking about his RC F, I hadn't read any comments on the F regarding tyre wear on front inners - sorry for original lack of clarity but it was in the F forum so didn't feel the need too 😛

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, opsmajor said:

I need to change all the rubber on my RC 300H. What tyres do people recommend for a less noisy more comfortable ride?

thanks Mike

I have personal preference of Michelin but have run Goodyear on other cars and couldn't complain, head to the RC hybrid forums and maybe owners will share their experiences/ thoughts on tyres to suit your needs 🙂

I am def going to go for Michelin PS4 S

And think I will take the risk on the TPMS. After all, do not need them to drive my car if/when they fail...will do them then.

If they were a crucial component I would of course apply "prevention over cure"

Both my GS F and CT200h wear faster on the inner edges of the tyres.

My RX450h is too new to comment, but I won't be surprised if it too wears the inner edges faster than the rest of the tyres.  It seems to be a Lexus thing

It’s a known problem on the ISF. The bottom arm bushes can wear and soften causing the inside edge of the tyre to wear more. Usually cured by replacing the bush or going to RRR UPRS.

I’ve eventually got round to changing the hankooks on my gsf, that the dealer had put on when I bought the car, with pilot 4s. (Difference is unbelievable - that’s another story )

fronts were evenly worn across the tyre. 
my ISF didn’t suffer from the issue either. 
GSF has 44k miles on it, ISF had 50k when I sold it. Guess it’s luck of the draw 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BillNick said:

Did you do anything about it or just accept the fact that you will need new tyres even if most of the tyre is ok?

Nope - it was an MOT advisory for 2 years on the same tyres and I sold the GS F with it like that - the tread on the rest of the tyres was all ok so there was no need to change them

• Like 1

Before you go spending any money, double check the tread depth readings. I had a similar report on my GSF, with a recommendation to have a 4 wheel alignment done at their (eye watering) cost. I took it to a trusted local tyre place and had the alignment done, came out perfect. I then went back and checked the tyres with a depth gauge and found that on the inner part of the tyre the sipes which run across the tyre were variable depths, every other one was 2mm deep and the rest were 4mm deep, so the wear wasn't as bad as Lexus were saying. You neeed to be careful with the so called safety checks that Lexus do, more often than not they're just trying to upsell.

Yeh I would normally agree as we all know the upselling goes on. But on this occasion they didn’t. They took the tyre measurement on the video so I saw it was def 2mm on the extreme edge. They didn’t up sell the alignment neither as I asked and they said it’s normal for my car RCF.

I’m still going to get it put on the ramp at WIM Chesham and no point doing that without brand new tyres fitted. Might drag it out till end of the year though just before my MOT.

1 hour ago, NemesisUK said:

Isn't an alignment check part of the routine service? It's been done on my RC300h

The alignment check at Reading or Guildford consists for the mechanic looking at the tyres and saying the wear looks (un)even 😡

On 8/23/2021 at 11:08 AM, BillNick said:

Tyre measurements taken at 4 points across the tyre starting at the inner edge measured 2,5,5,5 on both front tyres.

What tyres do you have? I only have three primary tread bands on the OEM tyres so not sure how they can take 4 readings?

image.thumb.png.45ad179e8c8d3c12bbd7a074ac6e784c.png