Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Need a second car. Thoughts, opinions and ideas needed please.

e-yes

Good morning fine folks of the Lexus club 🙂

As in the subject, we are going to need a second car. Primarily for local use as the ES will take on motorway miles duty (about 400 miles a week, then sits on the driveway on weekends)

Has to be a used one and would love to get another Lexus. There are constraints however 😕 

• Cannot afford another new one, so looking at used ones
  • Budget is 5k at the very max
  • Has to be automatic transmission
  • Still have some time to find and buy one but not sure a couple months is enough time ?

Have been looking at AutoTrader and there are a bunch of RX (400h) well within price but very high miles.

Also found an IS (6cyl petrol, 2005) in budget.

Not sure what to look out for however other than the usual (number of keepers, history etc)

Any recommendations, thoughts, opinions and ideas please.

(Admins: Please move to a different sub-forum if not appropriate for this one)

Cheers,

—E

Edited by e-yes
More details

Hi Steve,

Yes a smaller car will also do. 
Just mentioned the RX and IS as they are advertised on AutoTrader within the budget.

10 minutes ago, Mossypossy said:

Sounds bonkers. Buy a brand new car then don't use it. 

Sorry, didn’t get that part ? The ES will get used… a lot.

Cheers,

—E

9 minutes ago, e-yes said:

Hi Steve,

Yes a smaller car will also do. 
Just mentioned the RX and IS as they are advertised on AutoTrader within the budget.

Sorry, didn’t get that part ? The ES will get used… a lot.

Cheers,

—E

Yaris or Auris hybrids.

• Like 2

something wonderful and smart, low on maintenance ( if it ever needs very much ) .......... reliable and very very comfy, could last you for many years with just about trouble free motoring, mpg won't matter a hoot as it's not driving too far,  well, ...........  go treat yourselves for max £5k with the potential for capital appreciation too

.............. how about a Ls400 ........... not expensive to insure nor road tax either 

Just a thought and it's a Lexus :wink3:

Malc

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Malc said:

something wonderful and smart, low on maintenance ( if it ever needs very much ) .......... reliable and very very comfy, could last you for many years with just about trouble free motoring, mpg won't matter a hoot as it's not driving too far,  well, ...........  go treat yourselves for max £5k with the potential for capital appreciation too

.............. how about a Ls400 ........... not expensive to insure nor road tax either 

Just a thought and it's a Lexus :wink3:

Malc

Would love an LS however not sure if my wife (who will primarily be using it) be comfortable driving it. Actually, I am pretty sure she'll love how it drives. It is the parking and school runs which will cause her the grief.

A CT or even an IS is about the right size. So far in the lockdown and all.. I have been doing the school runs in the ES but in a few months' time hopefully things will be back on the usual track (more or less) and I won't be able to do the usual runs all of the times.

But, yes... LS is getting considered.

Cheers,

--E

57 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Yaris or Auris hybrids.

Thanks Roy. I looked for Auris and in fact they are within budget in AutoTrader. Thanks.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mossypossy said:

We use a Toyota iQ as a second car.

Small outside but huge inside.

Wow... wasn't even considering iQ so far (haven't seen automatic iQs as well). Thanks Steve.. will take a look. Will they be available at around ÂŁ5k ?

Also, anything to look out for on these ?

Cheers,

--E

Edited by e-yes
details

Prius or other Toyota Hybrid is a good shout. IS250 Automatic would be a great candidate, but not the most economic for short town trips averaging circa 25MPG. However, if that's not an issue, go for it. Reliable and comfy 🙂 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, e-yes said:

It is the parking and school runs which will cause her the grief.

honestly when I'm, in my Ls400,  sitting alongside a modern Mini Clubman Estate I feel somewhat dwarfed and overwhelmed !

Malc

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, dutchie01 said:

How about a first gen RX?  Its the one i like most due to the size of the car. If you can find a nice example it will do all you want?

2nd Generation RX - the perfect Chelsea Tractor!

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202109257792989?year-to=2021&radius=1500&postcode=ct147th&make=LEXUS&sort=mileage&advertising-location=at_cars&price-to=5500&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&include-delivery-option=on&page=2

Controversial but....

Grab a Dacia Sandero, the McDonalds cheese burger of the car world. 

My wife had one of the stepway variants prior to her NX, was reasonably bullet proof. Felt huge inside and not a big car. 

On 9/8/2021 at 4:26 PM, Malc said:

BUT Mr LessSux wants a Lexus guys ..  not even a Toyota .......  keep it on track please :unsure:

Malc

Gentlemen, seems like it will be a Honda Jazz 😕 Negotiating a lease deal on one.

Test drove it. There is a lot of space in it for the size. And talking about size, having done the new school run, leave alone RX even an IS will be the wrong size. Currently we have to park the ES quite a far bit away and then walk to the school gate. Every single one of those 4975mm of the ES are apparent if we ever try and take it close to the school !

Never noticed this earlier when my daughter hadn’t started Y7 as we could find ample parking maybe 20 meters from the school.

Didn’t expect the Jazz would be good but have to say, it feels solid and the hybrid system is pokey as well and will be a lot easier for my wife to park at her work place and do the school run.

I know there will be less sux with a Lexus but … based on current logistics, that Jazz will play ok (I hope)

(Why lease ?  that is an entirely different story left for another day)

Cheers,

—E

• Like 1