Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Nissan Leaf - anyone driven or own one?

cruisermark

38 minutes ago, jonthetourist said:

I paid £2300 for my first LS430 in 2015 and sold it 4 years later for £3k. I am not expecting depreciation to work quite that well in future. Ireland ramping up road tax for big engines cause a glut and drove down prices dramatically.

A few people thought I overpaid for my current 430 - £8.5k - but it's pretty close to perfect for me, and that's not a bad price for perfection. ☺️

A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem. ― Albert Einstein

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I had a test drive in a Nissan Leaf. It probably does a  job in the long run but the price new was absolutely ridiculous.

It was also a major step down from Lexus ( naturally as its a Nissan and some of their stuff really is very basic)

Until there's some kind of price parity I wouldn't entertain it. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

I have tried to work on a basis of £1,000 a year depreciation for quite a while now.

OMG I'm totally useless at financials then....... .  I know that ...  I've only ever seen appreciation over these last 10 years on my car purchase ........:yahoo:

and I'm an ex-banker too amongst my life style work choices :wink3:

Malc

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Malc said:

OMG I'm totally useless at financials then....... .  I know that ...  I've only ever seen appreciation over these last 10 years on my car purchase ........:yahoo:

and I'm an ex-banker too amongst my life style work choices :wink3:

Malc

On your second point Malc the less said the better 🤣 on your first point how are you using the word "appreciate"? If you mean from an aesthetic point of view I am with you on that one. If however it's in a financial sense going from £350 to £375 doesn't quite hack it 🤑🤑🤑

1 hour ago, Phil xxkr said:

If however it's in a financial sense going from £350 to £375 doesn't quite hack it

come come now, write back the lack of depreciation over 10 years, my car value has quite appreciated,  not only by the 10 years x £1000 = £10, 000  BUT also the uplift from the initial purchase of £1400 too :thumbsup:

I'm an ex-banker, I do understand some of these strange happenings :wink3:

Malc

On 8/27/2021 at 11:17 AM, Malc said:

some of these strange happenings

also over those 10 years I might have also saved myself heaps of worry and concern by not having a brand new car every 3 years or so, to also then hand back totally unblemished, washed and polished .....  and saved myself a further 

............. 12 months x 10 years x £ shall we say £350 per month ?? = a staggering  £ 42,000 .  AND I wouldn't have had the quality, reliability maybe ,,,,,, comfort and luxury too of my Ls400

so a simple saving of maybe £42,000 

do my old fashioned banking maths add up guys ?

Malc

Malc, i was always under the impression that banks/bankers adviced everybody to lend spend all the money they wanted? Backed up by creative mathematical support programmes that gave clients full trust in the banks wisdom? So, 42 k will make sure you drive brandspanking new cars of your choice for 10 years. Thats a limited sum of just below 350 per month which is less than the family spends on shopping? 

17 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

Thats a limited sum of just below 350 per month

see, you caught this one out at last ........... NOOOOOO  I forgot to consider the UPFRONT capital sum each 3 years too ...  shall we say average of £5k ?  = a further £20k ......  blimey, running and buying my aged Ls400 10 years ago has saved me the best part of £60k+

is that possible ?

Are we really all ( well apart from me and a few Ls400 owners on here ) potentially saving £60k every 10 years by running our amazing elderly but magnificent Ls400s ??

Malc

21 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

i was always under the impression that banks/bankers adviced everybody to lend spend all the money they wanted?

hahahahaha you should be asking Rishi this one ........  it's brilliant he can borrow £400bn at a slight %%% below zero eh !

Well done I say to the UK Govt getting at least this part of the equation right  :wink3:

Malc

Oh dear, we've moved a tad off target with the economies of the Nissan Leaf ......  sorry everyone

Thereś another side to running a car until it literally stops. I grew up with the knowledge that engines would simply die after 100 to 150.000 km. That was it end of car, scrap it get another one. That is still in the back of my mind but i sometimes take taxis with 750.000 km same engine driver? yes sir... 

If we would stick with the car we have instead of trading it in like i do every x years the environment would benefit immensely. So buying a 6.2 ltr 8 cylinder 720 hp monster with horrific fuel consumption but keeping it for 20 years could be more environmentally friendly than running 7 electric cars in thesame time? 

15 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

Thereś another side to running a car until it literally stops. I grew up with the knowledge that engines would simply die after 100 to 150.000 km. That was it end of car, scrap it get another one. That is still in the back of my mind but i sometimes take taxis with 750.000 km same engine driver? yes sir... 

If we would stick with the car we have instead of trading it in like i do every x years the environment would benefit immensely. So buying a 6.2 ltr 8 cylinder 720 hp monster with horrific fuel consumption but keeping it for 20 years could be more environmentally friendly than running 7 electric cars in thesame time? 

And if we all did it Bernard our respective G.D.P.`s would plummet.

I`m not disagreeing with you, but I`ve just remembered that it is not possible to agree with all of the people all of the time. So, I wonder why Politicians especially, seems not to know that fact?

On 8/25/2021 at 9:01 AM, cruisermark said:

Thanks for all the replies guys - These Lexus cars are terrible cars - once driven - anything else is ust not good enough!

I will have to drive one and see how it feels - the smooth, quite linear acceleration is really nice and I do around 3k miles a year mainly in town so will be ideal IF it will pass the noise and comfort test lol.

I will be probably be looking at a tekna model 2017 and above. 

A 2015 Acenta was my first step in to the world of BEVs and I haven't looked back.  

3K a year for going around town is exactly what its good for, don't even think about M-way driving in winter in one........Not unless you enjoy real 'range anxiety' 😀

Used prices are surprisingly firm for essentially a Nissan family hatchback, you don't need a Tekna which really doesn't add much over the Acenta spec. In fact looking at used prices its probably worth spending a bit extra and getting the 'new shape' 40kWh Leaf over the older 24/30kWh cars.

Do be weary of really 'cheap' cars as abused Battery packs will degrade quicker than looked after ones, and dealers have been known to 'reset' the BMS on car to hide excessive degradation. Equally 30kWh Battery packs degrade worst of all, infact by 60k+ miles a 30kWh pack is essentially a 24kWh pack in performance!!

I'll always remember mine as its the first EV I owned, but ultimately though remove the EV bit and the Leaf is a very very ordinary Nissan hatchback (essentially a Pulsar), which is why ultimately I paid Nissan to take mine back early so I could take delivery of its replacement. If you want a cheap/reliable/practical way to get from A to B in town, a Leaf is hard to beat. But much more interesting EVs are available!!!

26477924151_3ec989d570_c_d.jpg

For limited millage in town, if you don't need to carry other people, I would be looking for one of these as long term keeper!! I've never driven one, but just sitting in one makes you smile, and they look like an absolute blast when I've come across them on the roads.....Though am not sure if I want to be in one when flanked by 2ton+ SUVs and HGVs!!

renault-twizy.jpg