Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I must be mad - just bought another car - GS430

Hi all,

So, I was originally on the hunt for a GS430 and I settled recently for a nice example of a GS300 in my other post.

Looks as though I didn't stop looking and I bought a GS430 this weekend just gone.

I must be mad, I can't own 2 cars! So, the GS300 will be going soon despite not having it very long (6 weeks perhaps!).

I'll be moving the G Spider wheels and Tanabe springs over to the GS430!

Pics to follow...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mike_Mac said:

Two is just greedy! 😄

Pics?

It is, I know! 😂 

Haven't taken any yet but I will do, perhaps this weekend. 

Booking it in next week for some swaps with some mods from my GS300. 

34 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Thanks John, I am not familiar with the GS specs.

It's a GS430 as mentioned in John's post. 

The Mk3 GS comes in 4 engine flavours the GS300 (V6), GS430 & GS460 (V8) and GS450H (V6 I think) . 

Edited by JDM-Fiend
Correction

2 minutes ago, JDM-Fiend said:

It's a GS430 as mentioned in John's post. 

The Mk3 GS comes in 3 engine flavours the GS300 (V6), GS430 (V8) and GS450H (V6 I think) . 

Thanks, I was getting confused between 450 and 430 - I am usually 20 out most days unfortunately!

• Like 1

2 cars is excessive. 2 x GS models is obsessive.🤣

GS460? never heard of it.

There is another option, the GS350 non-hybrid but it would have to be imported.🙂

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Neil E said:

2 cars is excessive. 2 x GS models is obsessive.🤣

GS460? never heard of it.

There is another option, the GS350 non-hybrid but it would have to be imported.🙂

Yes, true. 

Sorry, I meant UK models. 

GS350 would be the perfect compromise I think for performance vs economy. Alas, I'll settle for the V8 😂 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, royoftherovers said:

Still got it have you Neil ?

Yes I still have it, awesome bit of kit John, very very similar to the GS430 but the 3UZ-FE with the 6-speed is just as smooth and a fraction quieter than the 1UR. 

3 cars minimum for me. I need therapy. 🙃 

In truth, the RX is all you need for almost every occasion. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Neil E said:

Yes I still have it, awesome bit of kit John, very very similar to the GS430 but the 3UZ-FE with the 6-speed is just as smooth and a fraction quieter than the 1UR. 

3 cars minimum for me. I need therapy. 🙃 

In truth, the RX is all you need for almost every occasion. 

I remember you finding it-bit of luck that was.

I have 4 cars currently and am looking to get rid of the Gen 3 Yaris first.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mossypossy said:

GS460 Production #'s

2008 = 1,616 Units
2009 = 56 Units
2010 = 43 Units
2011 = ?

I believe there were only 17 UK registered GS 460's. This is the press release:-

https://media.lexus.co.uk/lexus-powers-into-2008-with-new-gs-460/

I owned a S3 450h but I would have loved to have owned a 460. I have owned numerous 6 cylinder cars but never a V8 and that is an itch that I need to scratch, especially given the current climate (no pun intended).

@JDM-Fiend nice looking car. Hope it meets your expectations.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chris111 said:

I believe there were only 17 UK registered GS 460's. This is the press release:-

https://media.lexus.co.uk/lexus-powers-into-2008-with-new-gs-460/

I owned a S3 450h but I would have loved to have owned a 460. I have owned numerous 6 cylinder cars but never a V8 and that is an itch that I need to scratch, especially given the current climate (no pun intended).

@JDM-Fiend nice looking car. Hope it meets your expectations.

I'm in the same boat, wanted to scratch the V8 itch. 

Here's hoping it does! 

• Like 2

I'm a big fan of the 1UZ and 3UZ, they are such good engines. When I first put the SC430 on the dyno to get a baseline, both testers remarked at how smooth and consistent it was. 279 bhp stock and it made very slightly more than that with the third cat delete and a new exhaust. Always take dyno readings with a pinch of salt but in more than 100k miles it appeared to have lost nothing. 

@Mossypossy @Chris111 Yes there were 17 model GS460s and I think there are 15 still registered in the UK. I found the original registrations for 7, I suspect most are used rarely and will appreciate in value. Indeed I was lucky to find it John as I was looking for an LS, I did some fast checking and then didn't hesitate. It's done a further 13k miles since I acquired it earlier this year. Great for long work trips, it's fairly easy to make very good motorway progress and return 33 mpg. I still want an LS600 to waft about in but I don't have a hybrid itch to scratch.😊

Compared to the SC430, if you can find one, the GS430 is very good value. The SC has superior trim, build quality and audio but the GS has better tech and ride quality. It's a shame Lexus didn't compromise a little less in each case. 

• Like 4

On 8/29/2021 at 9:46 PM, Neil E said:

I'm a big fan of the 1UZ and 3UZ, they are such good engines. When I first put the SC430 on the dyno to get a baseline, both testers remarked at how smooth and consistent it was. 279 bhp stock and it made very slightly more than that with the third cat delete and a new exhaust. Always take dyno readings with a pinch of salt but in more than 100k miles it appeared to have lost nothing. 

@Mossypossy @Chris111 Yes there were 17 model GS460s and I think there are 15 still registered in the UK. I found the original registrations for 7, I suspect most are used rarely and will appreciate in value. Indeed I was lucky to find it John as I was looking for an LS, I did some fast checking and then didn't hesitate. It's done a further 13k miles since I acquired it earlier this year. Great for long work trips, it's fairly easy to make very good motorway progress and return 33 mpg. I still want an LS600 to waft about in but I don't have a hybrid itch to scratch.😊

Compared to the SC430, if you can find one, the GS430 is very good value. The SC has superior trim, build quality and audio but the GS has better tech and ride quality. It's a shame Lexus didn't compromise a little less in each case. 

I'm actually getting my 430 dyno'ed this week. I want to establish some sort of baseline for the car plus I'm convinced the exhaust system doesn't work well as it could do with the engine.

I do really like the SC, have been trying to convince the other half to get one to replace our Accord. She does love the Accord, so perhaps unlikely!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JDM-Fiend said:

I'm actually getting my 430 dyno'ed this week. I want to establish some sort of baseline for the car plus I'm convinced the exhaust system doesn't work well as it could do with the engine.

I do really like the SC, have been trying to convince the other half to get one to replace our Accord. She does love the Accord, so perhaps unlikely!

279 bhp is your baseline. It should be very close to that if it's running like a normal 3UZ.

Deleting the third cat and resonators + maybe adding an X pipe might release 5 bhp and sound much better but until the engine is tweaked + ECU/add on, the only non-FI bolt-on power upgrade that I know of is to fit headers at silly cost. If you could find a suitable blower at reasonable cost, that might be fun.🙂 

The SC430 is well built, a bit quirky, has its flaws but wins you over. 

6 hours ago, Duggie B said:

Think I am ....300h for economy GS-F for the fun !!!20210718_204008.thumb.jpg.8c12671634c910c66d357de75ec37d8d.jpg

👍  Very impressive, perfectly justified. I'm just left wondering if there's a 450H Premier lurking in the garage that you're not owning up to? 🤣

🤣🤣🤣 Well there is a....dare I say it....a Ford Modeo tit x sport lurking as well as a 27yr old Golf mk3....not all mine I hasten to add.... the 300h is going to my mum but I thought the two.looked good together.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Duggie B said:

🤣🤣🤣 Well there is a....dare I say it....a Ford Modeo tit x sport lurking as well as a 27yr old Golf mk3....not all mine I hasten to add.... the 300h is going to my mum but I thought the two.looked good together.

They definitely look good together. I'm not yet completely sold on the GSF exterior styling but I think it would be my ideal 'compromise' car......if I had to have just one set of wheels.😊

@JDM-Fiend Looking forward to hearing about the dyno run and what you have planned for the 430.