Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RCF transmission malfunction.

Hi everyone. 

Just happened to me. 2015 RCF with 32k miles. 

Drove in sport mode, slowed down on roundabout, then flat out, but the car just revved up but not accelerated, drove slow changing the gears to 3 and 50mph.

No check engine on dashboard. Stopped in a lay bay, switched the car off, waited a minute, turned it on -check engine appeared  trc off, barely started to drive, so drove to my sons house where we realised  that the car is not reversing, in neutral position the tranny is locked, couldn't push it both forward and backwards.  Moved the selector to reverse  and we were able to move the car both ways. Called lexus dealer  and they took the car for inspection. 

What could go wrong?

52 minutes ago, Hoobee said:

What could go wrong?

Difficult to say without the error code(s) that have been produced. Possibly a valve body/solenoid/fluid pressure issue or something external such as wiring damage. Your dealer should be able to resolve the issue and covered under warranty.

First time I've heard of a RC F/GS F transmission issue in the UK.

14 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Difficult to say without the error code(s) that have been produced. Possibly a valve body/solenoid/fluid pressure issue or something external such as wiring damage. Your dealer should be able to resolve the issue and covered under warranty.

First time I've heard of a RC F/GS F transmission issue in the UK.

I was just about to submit your last line Colin !

There is a salvage GS F that has been broken down into bits on eBay, engine and gearbox sitting at £11k... lets hope it doesn't come to that seeing as you are under warranty, honestly hope it gets diagnosed properly, modern way seems to be just 'replace whole unit'. I also echo above comments, never heard of any GS F or RC F transmission problems, hopefully something silly and inexpensive, I'll take a stab at failed o-ring... 🤷‍♂️

Would be greatful with any diagnosis you receive and the overall outcome, which we all hope is positive!

I cannot comment on any particular reason for why it may have failed however, as the car is in warranty, subject to no neglect, I cannot see why a diagnosis and relevant repair wouldn't be covered.

I had a gearbox failure on a 2007 gs300. It was a year or so out of extended warranty however, it was zero previous owners with FLSH. A gesture was made from both Lexus GB and the supplying/servicing dealer, it left nothing to pay.

I was told of a story where by a few years after the launch of the ISF, a customers engine blew. I was told that a team from Lexus Japan flew over to try and understand more!

These things happen!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, hockeyedwards said:

There is a salvage GS F that has been broken down into bits on ebay, engine and gearbox sitting at £11k... lets hope it doesn't come to that seeing as you are under warranty, honestly hope it gets diagnosed properly, modern way seems to be just 'replace whole unit'. I also echo above comments, never heard of any GS F or RC F transmission problems, hopefully something silly and inexpensive, I'll take a stab at failed o-ring... 🤷‍♂️

Would be greatful with any diagnosis you receive and the overall outcome, which we all hope is positive!

‘Failed 0 ring’….

Hmmmm……it was a Failed 0 ring that ultimately brought down the Space Shuttle ‘Challenger’ ! 

• Like 1

Just now, Texas said:

‘Failed 0 ring’….

Hmmmm……it was a Failed 0 ring that ultimately brought down the Space Shuttle ‘Challenger’ ! 

I think it was an outrageous management decision at NASA which failed the Challenger Paul.

The advice from Morton Thiokol was "DON`T FLY" as the O ring was not designed to be operative at such low temperatures as were in evidence on the morning of the flight. .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RichGS11 said:

Does the RCF share the same radiator/transmission cooler design as most other Lexus?

Yes, and they also have an air cooler too. However I'd say the vehicle is far to young to have suffered any corrosion of the oil cooler within the radiator to allow water to mix with the ATF.

I have a vague memory of hearing on here about one ISF having a transmission problem. The thread may still exist. One reported fault in 12 years is exceptional though.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2021 at 11:27 AM, royoftherovers said:

I think it was an outrageous management decision at NASA which failed the Challenger Paul.

The advice from Morton Thiokol was "DON`T FLY" as the O ring was not designed to be operative at such low temperatures as were in evidence on the morning of the flight. .

If I recall correctly, it was also Thiokol management that shared the blame as they pressured their engineers to change their minds during the meeting with NASA.

I agree though that NASA is ultimately to blame though as they should have listened to the warnings.

• Thanks 1

now ...  I just wonder if, if ,if they can put an old Ls400 into space ........... and get her back with all occupants intact ....... one for Branson and Musk to dwell over maybe :unsure:

Malc

By the way, can't believe your RCF gears problem is other than something ridiculously simple that isn't going to cost the Warranty more than £5 or £6k 😵 .  a washer or solenoid or summat like that

• 2 weeks later...

Failed transmission was mine. Lexus replaced the gearbox and a few other bits and bobs.

I have recently had to replace the gearbox oil cooler again as it started to leak. 

The op's issue maybe oil pressure in gearbox. The symptoms sound just like I had. 

• Like 1

Just to add the ISF gearbox itself has no issues. The reason my gearbox got damaged was due to it dropping all its oil on the motorway and it went into limp mode and I was 'making progress' at the time. Mine leaked due to a pipe leaking near the oil cooler

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sully-K said:

Just to add the ISF gearbox itself has no issues. The reason my gearbox got damaged was due to it dropping all its oil on the motorway and it went into limp mode and I was 'making progress' at the time. Mine leaked due to a pipe leaking near the oil cooler

I was talking about the ISF in France that had coolant leak into the transmission oil. The gearbox didn't like it. I wasn't aware of your leak. What pipe was leaking? I will give mine a look over soon.

I think it was the pipe going into the oil cooler from the gearbox. 

They replaced the oil cooler in 2017 and I have had to replace it again this month. I believe that is a weak point. 

Yes definitely keep an eye out for it. It looks a lot like coolant when it drips (red in colour)

6 hours ago, Sully-K said:

Failed transmission was mine. Lexus replaced the gearbox and a few other bits and bobs.

I have recently had to replace the gearbox oil cooler again as it started to leak. 

The op's issue maybe oil pressure in gearbox. The symptoms sound just like I had. 

Update.

Lexus Technical qualified the gearbox for replacement due to mechanical damage. During inspection they found metal particles in oil. Gearbox and associates to be replaced under warranty. Over £17,000😱

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

48 minutes ago, Duggie B said:

Hmm not an o-ring then 🤔 .....safety net of Lexus warranty thankfully comes to the fore 😃👍

That's the advantage of buying the car from the dealership. It's the extended warranty which costed me a pound, and saved 17 grands at least. 

• Like 4

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links