Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RCF transmission malfunction.

19 hours ago, RichGS11 said:

I was talking about the ISF in France that had coolant leak into the transmission oil. The gearbox didn't like it. I wasn't aware of your leak. What pipe was leaking? I will give mine a look over soon.

mine did the same

• Like 1

On 9/13/2021 at 9:52 PM, Hoobee said:

Update.

Lexus Technical qualified the gearbox for replacement due to mechanical damage. During inspection they found metal particles in oil. Gearbox and associates to be replaced under warranty. Over £17,000😱

Blimey….did they give any clues as to what may have caused the failure?

9 hours ago, Pielight said:

Blimey….did they give any clues as to what may have caused the failure?

They want the gearbox to be sent to factory for "post mortem" because they never had that problem before.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

Hoobie, Is the Gearbox in question, one with a Torque Convertor Automatic 8 speed with paddle shifts driving a 2015 5 litre V8 ?

Ye, this is exactly this one.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2021 at 3:19 PM, Sully-K said:

Just to add the ISF gearbox itself has no issues. The reason my gearbox got damaged was due to it dropping all its oil on the motorway and it went into limp mode and I was 'making progress' at the time. Mine leaked due to a pipe leaking near the oil cooler

'making progress'    love that !

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Duggie B said:

Hi 

Any updates regarding auto box autopsy ?

Nothing so far. Still awaiting new gearbox, they hope by the end of October. 

44 days and counting...

• 1 month later...
On 8/26/2021 at 11:27 AM, royoftherovers said:

I think it was an outrageous management decision at NASA which failed the Challenger Paul.

The advice from Morton Thiokol was "DON`T FLY" as the O ring was not designed to be operative at such low temperatures as were in evidence on the morning of the flight. .

While perusing old threads I came across this comment of yours, John.  I’m sure you’re already aware, but for the sake of completeness, I’ll just add that it was Richard Fenyman who identified the cold weather O Ring problem - and demonstrated it, I believe, while in a meeting with NASA.

Sometimes it’s the simplest of errors that bring down the mightiest of projects.

http://www.feynman.com/science/the-challenger-disaster/

On 11/16/2021 at 9:53 PM, Duggie B said:

Hi, just asking, any updates regarding your transmission failure ?

Hi all.

Update.

After 77 days of hanging on the ramp in Lexus garage, I got my baby back.

The engineer working on my car said , that in his entire career in Toyota\Lexus service(22years) he never had such a problem. The gearbox and all associated parts which had contact with transmission oil were replaced for brand new according to Lexus technical department recommendation with hefty bill over 17, 000 British pounds just for the parts. Everything what been uninstalled from my car had been sent back to factory for post mortem examination. It's not likely they will share the knowledge about this problem unless it's necessary to introduce any critical improvement affecting other cars with this gearbox. This would lead to recall action .

Anyway, the car was on warranty, it costed me nothing, got new transmission and I enjoy my ride again. Two and a half months waiting time is mostly awaiting for these associatiated parts which are specific to RCF's and not available on demand. 

One thing I can realise after the replacement is - the box is working quicker, with no such a long lags in reaction for pressing the throttle. I was driving the sc430 for 7  years before, with both 5 and 6 gearboxes and response from them was much better, what was making me bit concerned. Now is better, but on normal mode still bit sluggish. Sport mode is ok.

Got another appointment in the garage in 3 weeks time for transmission oil service.

Hope that's the end of problems, now got to replace axleback exhaust and the infotainment interface to enjoy my beast even more. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, LenT said:

While perusing old threads I came across this comment of yours, John.  I’m sure you’re already aware, but for the sake of completeness, I’ll just add that it was Richard Fenyman who identified the cold weather O Ring problem - and demonstrated it, I believe, while in a meeting with NASA.

Sometimes it’s the simplest of errors that bring down the mightiest of projects.

http://www.feynman.com/science/the-challenger-disaster/

Many thanks Len.

Engineers  from MT stated their advice before the flight on the basis of the O rings not having been specc`d to operate at the low temperatures existing on the morning of the flight.

Richard conducted tests after the disaster which determined the actual cause and which confirmed that the actual advice provided to NASA should not have been dismissed.

As I stated previously, it was an outrageous management decision to proceed with the flight.

Incidentally, most people remember that Christa McAuliffe (School Teacher) was on the flight, but hardly anyone remembers that Judi Resnik( second American female  to fly in space) was on board too.

• Thanks 1

Just had my sock exhaust replaced with Quicksilver axleback from one of our forum members, will post a video tomorrow. Looks and sounds great.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello fellow lexus friends. Was driving my 2015 RcF (80k miles) kinda hard tonight- hit the brakes at a light- nothing crazy, and car had sign “turn engine off” now turns on and off no check engine light but doesn’t move foward or in reverse. My transmission dead? 

• Sad 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links