Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is300h

There's quite a bit of info on this board if you dig around, but the consensus is that you can expect around 45mpg plus minus 2-3mpg for mixed use, depending on your trips and driving style. For low-speed cruising (50-60) you may achieve 50+ mpg, high 40s around 70, and low to mid 40s at 70-80. 

That's economy. I'd say for longer journeys the E-class (in a nice condition) is a more comfortable car with better high-speed performance (it pulls). The IS300h is probably a better all-rounder. The IS really competes with the C-class if at all.

On 8/25/2021 at 9:55 PM, DBIZO said:

There's quite a bit of info on this board if you dig around, but the consensus is that you can expect around 45mpg plus minus 2-3mpg for mixed use, depending on your trips and driving style. For low-speed cruising (50-60) you may achieve 50+ mpg, high 40s around 70, and low to mid 40s at 70-80. 

That's economy. I'd say for longer journeys the E-class (in a nice condition) is a more comfortable car with better high-speed performance (it pulls). The IS300h is probably a better all-rounder. The IS really competes with the C-class if at all.

i am in a similar position with regard to choosing my next car. I have had Mercedes for 16 years, E200 and E220 (older models), but now my mileage has dropped right down to a few hundred a month (home working) so need to go from diesel to petrol/hybrid. My budget is only £11,000 and i have seen a Lexus IS300H executive 2015 with 49,000 on the clock and lexus serviced. Had a test drive, economy seemed good, not terribly reactive acceleration wise but it was in eco mode and i am more of a steadier speed driver these days anyway. 

As much as the Hybrid side of it appeals i am apprehensive as i imagine if anything goes wrong the bills are going to be pretty high. Can you or anyone else offer any comments please with regard to reliability / comfort / typical problems. Any information is much appreciated.

10 hours ago, sheila mawdsley said:

i am in a similar position with regard to choosing my next car. I have had Mercedes for 16 years, E200 and E220 (older models), but now my mileage has dropped right down to a few hundred a month (home working) so need to go from diesel to petrol/hybrid. My budget is only £11,000 and i have seen a Lexus IS300H executive 2015 with 49,000 on the clock and lexus serviced. Had a test drive, economy seemed good, not terribly reactive acceleration wise but it was in eco mode and i am more of a steadier speed driver these days anyway. 

As much as the Hybrid side of it appeals i am apprehensive as i imagine if anything goes wrong the bills are going to be pretty high. Can you or anyone else offer any comments please with regard to reliability / comfort / typical problems. Any information is much appreciated.

Where on earth you have found yourself a Lexus of that year and mileage plus a Lexus service history is astonishing. Are you sure it’s not a Cat C? Dealerships (Lexus)  are asking around £15k for their cars.

3 hours ago, hieronymous said:

Indeed. I saw a 20 plate Merc of some description being loaded onto a recovery lorry in the local Supermarket car park yesterday. When I left, one of the lanes out of the car park had been coned off because the Merc had fallen off the recovery lorry. So not only are they unreliable, they're not good at staying on the recovery truck which comes to save them. 

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, sheila mawdsley said:

It's pretty solid and mature technology. Just look at how many old Priuses you still see on the road as private hire cars. Any repair bills - if they come - might be less than you expect too.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/electric-cars/94872/buying-a-used-hybrid-car-the-complete-guide

On 8/29/2021 at 11:00 PM, sheila mawdsley said:

I don't readily have stats for you on reliability, but I'm sure you can dig around. In general, Toyota/Lexus hybrids are top of the reliability rankings. I bought my 2015 IS300h specifically after having looked into maintenance requirements and reliability, what people in general think. What really sealed the deal for me was seeing a video of the transmission/power train of Toyota/Lexus hybrids. Called E-CVT, Toyota's planetary gear set uses no belts or chains, and there are of course no discrete gears, eliminating the need for traditional gear selection and all related mechanical shenanigans. Much lower wear and tear by design for the most critical components of any car. It's quite impressive engineering. People who know better than me say make sure you keep the oil changed every year or around 10k, and it will last longer than you want to keep the car. Also, the hybrid Battery and the electrical system appear to be very highly reliable too - experience tells us 10+ years and 100k+ miles.

If you take that 2015 Lexus for a full Lexus service, they give you 12 month warranty extension, up to the next 10k miles. The offer stand for cars under 10 years and below 100k miles on the odo.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Sadly, I saw an NX on the hard shoulder, on the M2 on Saturday afternoon. A very unusual sight!

Could be many reasons for any car being on the hard shoulder none related to a breakdown. Medical episode, ran out of fuel, extreme tiredness, to name a few.

8 hours ago, paulrnx said:

Could be many reasons for any car being on the hard shoulder none related to a breakdown. Medical episode, ran out of fuel, extreme tiredness, to name a few.

Indeed. They could have been taking a photo opportunity. Perhaps they were Japanese tourists? I remember being told that years ago when speed cameras were first placed around the M25, the Police were continually moving on Japanese tourists who had parked on the hard shoulder as they believed that the speed camera sign meant that there was a good photo opportunity ahead. Japanese? Hired a car they knew would be reliable? It's a possibility worth investigating.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

I did not consider the possibility that they might have got caught short!

Better add it to your collected thoughts Davey, as now you`ve crossed that age threshold you won`t even remember having held it !🤣🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

Better add it to your collected thoughts Davey, as now you`ve crossed that age threshold you won`t even remember having held it !🤣🤣

Write it down, even better 🤣

• Like 1