Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I occasionally have a glance of LS400s for sale on eBay and today did just that.

What a selection of nails, 3 with little or no MOT, all with varying defects one with a fail list as long as your arm, body damage, paint damage, radio disconnected the lists are endless.

Only one which sounds reasonable but no details or pictures from a trader!

Just a bit of welding required for a mere £2900.00, it’s usually the heat shield that rots around the mounting hole but this one requires a bit more than a large washer!

BB51A09C-B445-4FCD-BBA3-62EC56F7E136.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I found four for sale, all with a variety of issues, two of which have/had rear subframe issues (note to self - de-rust subframe sooner rather than later).

I suspect in the not too distant future cars like this will be broken for spares because they are not viable restoration projects, unless values increase significantly.  I'm glad I only paid £400 for mine!

However, I quite like the wheels on this one:

Image 1 - 1996 Lexus LS400 Spares/Repairs/Project Green 1UZ V8, MOT, Lowrider, VIP RWD

The wheels were about the only thing not listed as an advisory on the MOT or other functional problems. A bit of welding on the sills was an understatement when you look at the test fail reasons and the picture for the other one.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

this one has had some rather " odd " MOT Advisories for such a low mileage car ........ but there we are, it looks a nice car and with original from factory DHP built then methinks it's possibly quite a rare beast ...  but I'd want it back to original DHP tho' and at no extra cost ....  at that high price !

Malc

The engine bay is  filthy and the Battery cover is missing, attention to detail is paramount in these presentations and there are other areas on the bodywork, doors etc that are dirty and rust is showing on the drivers door bottom weld seals the horns and top mounts of the front suspension. the engine cover is fractured at two of the mountings so not that well looked after does not bode well for areas we cannot see.

If you are asking top money you need to present as mint.

• Like 1

ONCE PURCHASED THERE IS NO WARRANTY IMPLIED OR GIVEN 😉

says mr dudley of crooked fame ...........      isn't that illegal too ??  he's simply a trader 😵

Malc

35 minutes ago, Malc said:

possibly well overdue for major expenditure on cambelt, waterpump etc change tho'

and someone's buggered about changing the orange lenses to clear too 😲

Malc

Timing belt done in 2012 @ 84k so due to be changed by age not mileage, no record when water pump was done. I’d have a go at it myself this time around or see if Lexus Bolton can do the job for £500. Clear lights can be changed back easily. Yes the paintwork is faded but if there’s no rot and it’s solid bodywork wise and it’s just the faded paint, it’s worth a go in my view.

Question is though, at what price is it worth buying? I would think £2.5k - £3k max and it’s probably worth it.

It might be a low miler but it as not been well looked after according to past MOT history, the paint  fade and flaking is due to UV so it as been outside most of its life and the corrosion in the engine bay backs that up.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

The word “corrosion” on the MOT and multiple fails for headlight alignment and wiper blades suggests perhaps a not so caring owner.

True, but I’d be more concerned about corrosion being mentioned in an MOT that is ‘within 30cm of jacking point’ or words to that effect which, given my experience of the last LS400 and others I’ve looked at, normally means rot/holes at the bottom of the rear arches into the cill areas. There will always be corrosion underneath, suspension components etc as well with on a car that age as we know unless it’s been proper fettled at some point. Rear subframe on my last LS400 looked like it was about to disintegrate but once all the loose flaking rust was removed it was fine, it looked at lot worse than it actually was. I’ve seen decent pictures of the arches on this car which are very clean with no bubbling, top of the windscreen is clear of bubbling as well.

I’ve been looking for another LS400 mk3 for quite a while but don’t want to pay the earth, £5k absolute maximum all in with buying the car and doing the timing belt and water pump if at all possible. I would like one without faded paintwork but I can live with it if the car is totally solid and no rust/bubbling on the arches etc.

• Like 2

You are very determined to get a LS400 and I agree with your comments ,they are becoming a rare commodity these days and the options are few and far between if you are looking for a good one.

As long as the rust is treatable rather than terminal all of the other functions are serviceable and it could be fettled on the paintwork . The mark 3s were not as bad as the Mark 1 and 2 in the mudguards and cill areas for rust and the problem was illuminated in the mark 4.

As to the price I think it is about right for a luxury sedan that treated to some tlc will increase in value.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ambermarine said:

You are very determined to get a LS400 and I agree with your comments ,they are becoming a rare commodity these days and the options are few and far between if you are looking for a good one.

As long as the rust is treatable rather than terminal all of the other functions are serviceable and it could be fettled on the paintwork . The mark 3s were not as bad as the Mark 1 and 2 in the mudguards and cill areas for rust and the problem was illuminated in the mark 4.

As to the price I think it is about right for a luxury sedan that treated to some tlc will increase in value.

I do want another LS400 but it has to be a MK3 really so I can use all the new parts I have. Finding a good one that is solid in the potential 'problem' areas is proving difficult, I have looked at quite a few described as 'absolutely no rust' or 'it's mint mate, no corrosion at all' or words to that effect. And as you can imagine they were not as described but if you don't have a look at the car you will never find out.

I can't agree more on your second comment 'As long as the rust is treatable rather than terminal all of the other functions are serviceable and it could be fettled on the paintwork' but you put it better than I did.............

There is one LS400 MK3 I have looked at which is a cracking car, nice colour, nice interior, low miles and is very very solid especially in the potential 'problem' areas but I can't pay the asking price. The search will go on and in the last few days a few more MK3's have come up for sale, one is very near me but has 19 inch rims and a modified exhaust but worth a look.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links