Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuel consumption

I want to ask about the lexus is300h fuel consumption,  i got a 2016 with 180k , the fuel consumption is 9.8L/100km , i read that the consumption should be less or is it normal

17 minutes ago, Bounce75 said:

I filled up yesterday, brim to brim & it worked out at 48.3 mpg in my IS300h, that was motorway driving from Kent to Derbyshire & back, plus running around up there.

Just driven 60 miles on mainly A roads so 40-60mph most of the way and a few miles through town. Onboard computer is showing 58mpg. My 60,000 mile (4 year) overall average is around 48mpg - that includes a complete mix of driving including a good percentage of motorway.

I get mid 30's doing plenty of short 4 mile round trips which include the odd dual carriageway thrash, but I'd say 28 is on the very low side. Sticky calipers perhaps?

I leased a 15 reg IS300h from new, and I recall being very disappointed with the mpg, not seeing more than mid 30s over the couple of years I had it..  Mixed driving, including a short commute, but 1 hour plus trips at least once a week.

The week before it went back, I ‘needed’ to burn off fuel, so had it in sport mode, with a heavy right foot.  Made the OP’s mpg look reasonable, but oh, so enjoyable!

I’ve been really pleased with the mpg my f sport delivers. I do run it on premium unleaded though, which probably costs me more than in £ than I save in higher mpg, but it makes me feel like I’m looking after the car 😂

On long-ish motorway drives (circa 160 miles each way), I’m recording 50/51 on the trip computer, so prob a bit less in real terms. I don’t drive slow either, spending most of my time in the outside lane and occasionally moving over for the Audi driving bell ends trying to break the sound barrier, (apart from the M25 of course where I’m either stationary, crawling or bang on 70). That said, I’m not driving like a lunatic either and allow a good distance from the car in front, to try and minimise braking and reaccelerating.

On a drive out to the coast (about 25 miles each way) on nice A roads, I get high 50’s without trying and my PB is 63 round trip. That is helped by a long stretch of 50mph limit, controlled by average speed cameras though.

When I was commuting to the office, which consisted of a short stint of city driving and a short dual carriageway blast Mon to Fri, followed by mostly A roads at the weekend, I’d normally end up with mid 40’s between fill ups.

These days, an average tank for me consists of mostly A roads (I’d estimate about 75% A roads, 20% city and 5% dual carriageway) and I’m seeing 51-53 on the trip computer between fill ups. 

So if you’re in the 20’s, I’d say there’s something not right there and to get your car checked out. Sounds like the electric motor isn’t kicking in as much as it should be. 

3 minutes ago, Initial P said:

When do you ever see a Lexus driver hooning their cars about? careful driving equals better fuel economy.

Frequently, just pop into the F forums where we compete for the lowest number possible on the fuel consumption gauge. 

@Habs I can get 35-40MPG in a GSF (5LV8) if I drive it like my mother on the motorway and stay in low revs.  

Even my wife's NX I can get 45+ in comftably. 

Are you utilising the drive modes differently ? Or just staying in ECO ? Different modes work better for different road types. 

Here's my history so far. Mostly trips to the local Supermarket with the odd 50 mile round trip to Huntingdon thrown in. One trip on 03/06/20 to Stanmore is the longest recorded to date. Pre-Covid when I'd be doing Peterborough to Littlehampton on a regular basis I'm sure that it would be regularly in the 50's.

image.thumb.png.4e126a6dd9e64d221a83f1694356e615.png

Drove from Cambridge to Brighton yesterday in my IS300h. What can I say, there and back I averaged almost 56mpg and I wasn't light on the throttle either. The IS300h is truly an impressive motorway muncher with amazing fuel economy and such an underrated car. Now if only it had more performance... We can dream I guess

I have just driven 100 miles motorway driving in my 65 plate IS300h and got 58 mpg and around town I get about 43mpg so I am really pleased with that.  Admittedly I don't put my foot down and look at what the hybrid drive is telling me.

On 9/2/2021 at 4:20 PM, Geoff Whittaker said:

I have just driven 100 miles motorway driving in my 65 plate IS300h and got 58 mpg and around town I get about 43mpg so I am really pleased with that.  Admittedly I don't put my foot down and look at what the hybrid drive is telling me.

58mpg on 100 miles motorway? How did you do that? I thought my 52.5 on a 60-mile round-trip was already a bit too good, because it was due to a 50 zone (road works), never managed to get close to it again. Just did 700+ miles, mostly M & A roads in mad traffic, and then about 100 miles of hilly backroads, sometimes really steep climbs in the Lake District. Got 44.5mpg on the computer. 15 plate with new factory Yokohamas. And I thought that was good!

• 3 weeks later...

How's about this then? These are the Hybrid Reporter results for my return trip from Peterborough to Huntingdon last night. I was driving like my Granny, who was in a particularly frugal mood, as I need to make sure I've got enough fuel to get to Leicester on Friday and arrive on fumes. In Eco mode, 71.48 mpg on the way there and 74.35 on the way back was quite impressive. A/C was off. On the outward journey, I was able to enjoy the slipstream from a Greggs lorry along the A1 and on the return journey, a Whitworth's tanker provided a break in the air for me. 

2021-09-26 22.53.06.jpg

2021-09-26 22.53.38.jpg

........  I don't see anyone in the 4ltr V8 category being possessed over mpg ................  is this a little OCD ............ spending many 10s of £000's to achieve a miserly fuel cost saving over the life of that initial capital spend perhaps 

BUT  I certainly do appreciate  your potentially saving the planet on a daily basis by reducing hugely your fossil fuel usage :wink3:

Thank you:thumbsup:

Malc

8 minutes ago, Malc said:

........  I don't see anyone in the 4ltr V8 category being possessed over mpg ................  is this a little OCD ............ spending many 10s of £000's to achieve a miserly fuel cost saving over the life of that initial capital spend perhaps 

BUT  I certainly do appreciate  your potentially saving the planet on a daily basis by reducing hugely your fossil fuel usage :wink3:

Thank you:thumbsup:

Malc

Oh I'm not at all bothered about the mpg, I just found it interesting. Sitting at 56mph behind an HGV for 15 minutes isn't my idea of fun. I'd rather be zipping along with all the other cars. My car's in for a fuel pump recall on Friday and they've asked me to have as little fuel in it as possible. Before all this grumpy pumpy hoo-hah kicked off over the weekend I had about 100 miles range and was planning a splash and dash on my way home from Huntingdon. Of course that all changed so I had to "be careful"! Let's just say, petrol availability permitting, I will be having something of a spirited drive back from Leicester. Well, as spirited as you can in an IS300h apparently.

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I get an indicated 50-52 mpg from my IS300h.   I don't use it for trips around town, as I have a Yaris for that.

I've never bothered doing a proper test, but I don't think that's bad for a 2.5l engine.

Yes I do know how to do a proper test

On 1/17/2022 at 4:31 PM, PaulWhitt20 said:

Bump!

Anyone noticed a drop in fuel consumption with E10?

Did a motorway trip yesterday and was getting low 40s MPG whereas before the E10 introduction it would be low 50s MPG.

It's a given your mpg will be worse with E10, but it's near impossible to quantify with any accuracy. E10 has about 1.5% less energy stored for the same volume than E5, if my maths is not off. What is unknown, is how the engine deals with it - does the thermal efficiency of the engine also drops off, does E10 change injection, etc? 

Trouble is, even at 5% economy degradation (there are horror rumours about 9-10%), it's nigh impossible to establish that in the wild. No 2 drives are the same, the weight you're carrying may change, then there is temperature, wind. What's certain, is that we are getting less for our money. One could probably investigate on a dyno?

• Like 1