Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Whine noise while reversing

CPtnBBag

Bought a new ES300h about a month ago and have just noticed a whining noise when reversing.
Its just noticeable with the windows closed, but with windows open its loud - sounds like a grinding gear / wheel bearing.

It doesn't happen when reverse is selected - only when moving backwards.

Is this happening to other ES300h owners?

The acoustic vehicle alerting system is mounted in the front of the vehicle and is operated when the petrol engine stops and the vehicle is moving at speeds below 15mph

So, do you hear the noise when going forward, or only in reverse?

https://d24bc9lyrt5en5.cloudfront.net/Customer-Portal-Admin/emanuals/LEXUS/OM33F93E.pdf

Oddly, the whining noise only happens on rapid acceleration - when the wife is in the passenger or rear seats of the car.😋

It's certainly worth checking with the dealer as mentioned earlier. Good luck and let us know what it was.

• Haha 3

It's the pedestrian warning system. Only works when you are moving in reverse, stops when you stop even when in gear. Same sound is made in drive but much lower volume that you might even miss it. Speaker is fitted in front so they cranked up the volume for the reverse direction. Scared my better half the first time she heard it, she made a video and played it back for me, scares the neighbours too 😄