Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thought I'd post my experience on now using super unleaded petrol. Since I filled up last Saturday morning I've driven nearly 600 miles. 70% motorway and 30% A and B roads. No I've not driven those miles sensibly either lol. Yes I've red lined it loads of times and hardly stuck to speed limits. My car tells me my average MPG is 35.8. I'm chuffed as a chuffed thing. Mind you the Shell service station on the A591 is on the dear side. V Power 152.9p a litre yikes. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I think I'm going to start to refill using the Premium stuff too ........... don't want to risk 'owt with my dear old lady and after all, you're all suggesting the mpg economy improves coz of it too :wink3:

Malc

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Malc have you put your cars details in the government E10 search thing? I don't recall seeing LS models in it.

Interesting Vlad. They mention the LS 460 and after any LS made before 1998 should use E5?

I may have interpreted it incorrectly? Below:-

Lexus

E10 petrol is cleared for use in all Lexus European petrol models made from January 1998, excluding:

• IS250 2.5 litre V6 with engine 4GR-FSE made between August 2005 and September 2007.
  • GS300 3.0 litre V6 with engine 3GR-FSE made between January 2005 and September 2007.
  • LS460 4.6 litre V8 with engine 1UR-FSE made between August 2006 and September 2007. /n/nThese models, and those produced before 1998 should continue to use E5.

15 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

put your cars details in the

I've not been able to ascertain anything useful that's definitive with my 1995 Ls400 .....  my indy thought I should be quite ok AND a few years ago driving thru' Italy ( I think ) I had no option but to refill with the E10 variety. No problems then at all but it's use was quite limited, just two tank fulls

So just to be on the safe side I think I'll be using the Premium stuff for the future .......  probably :unsure:

Malc

15 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

These models, and those produced before 1998 should continue to use E5.

Thank you David ........  that does put the lid on it for me then .....  next refill will be Premium ......  will she go faster too do you think :yahoo:

Malc

• Haha 1

Years ago I was installing a new Battery in my car ( MkI Mondeo Diesel!) and my toddler son asked if it will go faster now as his toy cars do with new batteries!! What can you say?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Texas said:

What can you say?

well,  YES would help ............  after all a V8 Ls400 maybe sometimes needs that extra " ooomph " :yahoo:

Malc

topped up with premium E5 fuel today, just £42 about 30.5 ltrs at my local Morrison's and at 137.7 a ltr

the usual unleaded E10 is now 130.7 .....  will I get that added 7p / ltr value in more ooomph and more mpg than if she had been left running on E10 

guess that's 5% increase in cost overall so provided acceleration pops up to  4.7 secs     0 - 60mph then I'll be happy :yes:

Malc

Well if you put 30 litres in your tank to top it off then it's not really a 5% increase overall. It'd be a 5% increase overall if you filled your tank from empty. So whether you'd notice a difference is quite negligible. You'll only see a difference, if at all, when you've used super unleaded about 4 fill ups where there's no trace of E10 fuel in the cars system. 

My is250 has no trace of E10 when I inadvertently put more than half a tank of the stuff in the other week. Apart from last week when I covered just shy of 600 miles and drove like a nutter I won't be able to tell a difference until a week or so. 

People seem to have no qualms  buying a sandwich for £3, when they can buy a loaf of bread for less than a £,yet expect added value/increase economy when they fill up their tanks with a slightly more expensive fuel, if only life were that simple lol 😆 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, scudney said:

People seem to have no qualms  buying a sandwich for £3, when they can buy a loaf of bread for less than a £,yet expect added value/increase economy when they fill up their tanks with a slightly more expensive fuel, if only life were that simple lol 😆 

Hardly a good analogy John, sorry mate.  But if you're out and about, get delayed and need a bite to eat you don't buy a loaf of bread.  But I get what you mean ... I think. 😉

What is more apparent is that the price of a sandwich tends not to vary from £3 one week to £3.50 the next!  And it's difficult to judge the long term benefit you get from eating a sandwich.  I won't go on ... 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes I agree its not a good analogy, was just thinking as to why we bemoan expecting to get justifiable results when we spend a bit extra on premium fuel 😉 

41 minutes ago, scudney said:

Yes I agree its not a good analogy, was just thinking as to why we bemoan expecting to get justifiable results when we spend a bit extra on premium fuel 😉 

Actually John using bread, the staff of life, is an interesting metaphor for petrol being the staff of mobility if you will. What I also know is that when you make bread as I do you end up with a superior product at a vastly cheaper price. Great pity therefore we can't make our own fuel. But when you do stump up £3 ish for an "artisnal" loaf you would expect a superior product to a Morrisons essential loaf for a quid wouldn't you? 

10 hours ago, scudney said:

was just thinking as to why we bemoan expecting to get justifiable results when we spend a bit extra on premium fuel

The only reason I am " expecting " is because on this Forum there is informed comment from time to time that the premium fuel actually increases performance and improves mpg ..........  driving a V8 gives me zero expectation of high mpg other than it is actually what it is from decades of driving this Lexus V8 engined car compared to many other V8s that I read of .....  maybe it's the aerodynamics of the machine or just the superior engineering  I don't know, nor really care tbh

It's a V8 4 ltr and my expectations of economy are just about zero, BUT performance well, 0 - 60 mph in less than 3 seconds is now my aim :thumbsup:

Malc

I have used mostly Shell V Power 99 from the start since January. I can tell the difference between that and BP Ultimate. Overall Shell makes it feel smoother. I noticed the BP stuff keeps hold of second gear longer when slightly heavy on the pedal and for some reason does not accelerate as well. I will stick to the 99 forever.

I heard in Brazil they use 25% ethanol in older cars and some of these claims of E10 damaging the car are exaggerated.

I got a feeling some people will switch over to E5 even if their cars are E10 compatible since some reports have come out about fuel economy/performance.

On 8/30/2021 at 4:20 PM, Mr Vlad said:

Well if you put 30 litres in your tank to top it off then it's not really a 5% increase overall. It'd be a 5% increase overall if you filled your tank from empty. So whether you'd notice a difference is quite negligible. You'll only see a difference, if at all, when you've used super unleaded about 4 fill ups where there's no trace of E10 fuel in the cars system. 

My is250 has no trace of E10 when I inadvertently put more than half a tank of the stuff in the other week. Apart from last week when I covered just shy of 600 miles and drove like a nutter I won't be able to tell a difference until a week or so. 

How was the car with E10 then? Notice any diff?

Hi Oz. From what I recall I inadvertently put £50 of E10 in my car but as normal I added a shot of Millers Petrol ecomax. Can't say I noticed any difference at all.