Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dashcam

PeteTP

Hi Pete,

This may not be much help to you, but I noticed the RRG Group (franchise for Lexus Bolton and Lexus Stockport) offer the NextBase dashcam and fitting for £275 (including VAT and fitting). Might be worth asking Lexus Ipswich if they can match this price.

https://www.rrg-group.com/lexus/service-parts-offers/integrated-dash-cam/

• Like 1

Hello gentlemen,

As usual, thank you for your input. Mikey2001 you’re thinking matches mine regarding cost. The kicker is compatibility with the ES hasn’t been Lexus U.K. verified. 

Having been the ‘Village Idiot’ for 2 decades now DIY retrofitting would end up being a monumental error. So, if I’m going to do it, I’ll need Lexus mainline expertise. Plus, in the unlikely ever of a snag, I can invite them to rectify the issue(s).

Thanks for the continued support and interest in my information gathering exercise; greatly appreciated.

PeteTP

• Like 2

16 hours ago, PeteTP said:

PS I note that this model isn’t compatible with my Lexus. 

What makes you think that?

A dashcam is a dashcam is a dashcam and all dashcams will fit in all cars. It's just a 12V accessory like a 12V air compressor for pumping up your tyres or a 12V vaccuum cleaner. Stick it on the windscreen, give it an ignition-switched 12V supply and Robert is your mother's brother, job done. If you also want a rear cam then that slightly more work but still very easy.

• Like 1

Quite so. But the compatibility list that I looked at as published by LEXUS does not include the ES. Perhaps it’s me being a pedant but it something that I’m seeking clarification on.

TVM as always as all inputs are useful.

PeteTP

22 hours ago, PeteTP said:

Should I be paying for Lexus dashcam retrofit by Ipswich dealership on my ES 300h? Think price c. £300.

All feedback/thoughts greatly appreciated. TVM.

PTP

So far I’ve had the same local auto electrician fit four systems to three cars - all very successfully.  Along with ICE, phone systems and sensors, it’s what he does every day.  Frankly I’d rely on his expertise probably more than a dealer’s electrician who does them occasionally.  Although to be fair, it’s one of the less challenging accessories to add in terms of auto work!

I’ve always bought the hardware and he just gives me a fitting cost.  So you could buy the Lexus supported system, which seems neat enough, and get a fitting estimate from a comparable local fitter.  I do appreciate that you are concerned that this specific mount might not physically fit in the space available. 

But I’d agree with Herbs, it’s pretty unlikely that there’s a dashcam that can’t be fitted in to a specific car.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeteTP said:

Quite so. But the compatibility list that I looked at as published by LEXUS does not include the ES. Perhaps it’s me being a pedant but it something that I’m seeking clarification on.

That's fair enough Pete but would you do me a favour please?

If they come back and say no, it's not compatible, would you ask them why that is? I'd seriously be very interested in the answer to that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herbie said:

That's fair enough Pete but would you do me a favour please?

If they come back and say no, it's not compatible, would you ask them why that is? I'd seriously be very interested in the answer to that.

It’s possible that it’s the particular shape of the NextBase dashcam case promoted by Lexus that’s the problem.  In which case fit a BlackVue - with a rear camera too.

(nb. Other dashcams are available, I believe.)

• Like 1

Hello again,

This is proving (for me) to be a healthy discussion for which I’m grateful. When I get an answer and the accompanying reason I will of course share it with you all. 🤞that Lexus will come up with the goods.

Much obliged for your generosity of sharing.

Cheers,

PeteTP

• Like 3

This topic prompts a question from me. 

I am due to take delivery of a new ES this week. I have gadgets to fit within the cabin which includes a windscreen-mounted dashcam.

Where is the best place to take an ignition-switched 12-volt supply from? On other cars the easy answer has been to plug-in to the cigar lighter socket but I would be surprised if the ES has one.

1 hour ago, Mike246 said:

Where is the best place to take an ignition-switched 12-volt supply from? On other cars the easy answer has been to plug-in to the cigar lighter socket but I would be surprised if the ES has one.

I don't think they fit cig lighters these days but rather just fit 12V power outlets and usually in the centre console.

However, the fuse box is usually somewhere up near or behind the glove box and the way I've always done it is to pull the fuse for the cig lighter/power outlet and use a piggyback 'add-a-fuse' like the one below, on that circuit. Of course, you'll have to make sure to get the correct size of blade. The RX uses micro blade fuses but I don't know what your new ES will use.

EDIT: - forgot to say that if you use one of these then the fuse box lid will probably not fit back on so just keep it in the glove box so that you have it handy to refer to if you ever need to replace any of the fuses.

image.thumb.png.e82928e85abbdd70b9b2f4414bb07a05.png

3 hours ago, Mike246 said:

Where is the best place to take an ignition-switched 12-volt supply from? 

If by ‘ignition switched’ you mean a power supply that’s only live when the ignition is on, is that the best way to use a dashcam?

Mine is still powered when the ignition is off.  This means it will record hits while parked, for example.  To ensure that it cannot flatten the Battery, it’s supplied via a small unit that monitors the Battery voltage level and protects it by disconnecting the camera should it fall below a pre-set level.

Mine is actually a BlackVue unit but I’m sure it will work with any camera.  You just have to find a permanently live supply in the fuse panel.

https://www.blackvue.co.uk/product/power-magic-pro/

Thanks chaps for keeping this thread alive. Don’t expect to hear from Lexus til after the BH weekend. Will of course pass on the outcome.

Backvue product on the investigation list, TVM.

Finally for now, Mike246 may I wish you many thousands of snagfree miles  in your new steed. I got mine Jul ‘20 and am (unsurprisingly) delighted XXL with it. I hope you’ll feel the same way.

BFN

PeteTP

• Like 1

On 8/27/2021 at 7:35 PM, PeteTP said:

PS I note that this model isn’t compatible with my Lexus. 

I hope it is 😉 I’m picking up a brand new ES F Sport tomorrow and asked them to fit the lexus front and rear cams. I can upload pictures tomorrow if you want.

Kev

On 8/30/2021 at 2:26 AM, LenT said:

If by ‘ignition switched’ you mean a power supply that’s only live when the ignition is on, is that the best way to use a dashcam?

Mine is still powered when the ignition is off.  This means it will record hits while parked, for example.  To ensure that it cannot flatten the battery, it’s supplied via a small unit that monitors the battery voltage level and protects it by disconnecting the camera should it fall below a pre-set level.

You are, of course, quite correct Len and my own dashcam setup, a Viofo A129 Duo, (£154.70 for the front/rear set) has 'parking mode' as well, along with voltage sensing so that it doesn't flatten the 12V Battery.

This kind of setup necessitates a second power feed, so the camera has an ignition-switched supply for normal driving mode (on/off with the ignition) and also a permanent live feed for when the car is off and the camera is in parking mode.

I didn't mention this above because (a) not all cameras have a parking mode and (b) I was just trying to keep the explanation simple.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KevH said:

Sure £390 supplied and fitted for both front and rear. This is Lexus Edinburgh https://www.easternwestern.co.uk/lexus/accessories/dash-cam.php 

Ive seen other dealers offering them for £350 for the pair or £250 for just the front.

Thanks

Kev

Thanks Kev….top info for which I’m most grateful. Now to get a quote from Ipswich!!

BTW……Very neat job and no untidy irritating wires I hope? Easy to work?

Will keep you in the loop pal.

Enjoy that  IS-F missile🏎

PeteTP

In case anyone is interested, this is my camera setup.

It's a Viofo A129 Duo with parking mode, currently £154.70 from amazon on that link.

The front camera was very easy to fit although I would have ideally liked to position it nearer the roof lining. Unfortunately, any brand of camera would be the same due to the dots of the rain sensor. The lens needs to be clear of the dots so if I went further up the camera would be too far to the left.

The rear camera was a bit challenging, especially getting the cable through the flexible rubber tubes from the body into the tailgate, but nothing too difficult.

IMG_20210831_192942.thumb.jpg.ab531dad65478c73a750de8b19aea6ce.jpg

IMG_20210831_193022.thumb.jpg.16b1a812dc1535fa2939d45b4ae3dbfb.jpg

IMG_20210831_193304.thumb.jpg.8012560e543a2cfd8266738a6806cfbb.jpg

• Like 2