Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dashcam

PeteTP

11 hours ago, LenT said:

But what would make him think twice is that the next time he behaved that way, he got a visit from the local Police.  It certainly made an impression on the driver who I reported!

How does one exactly report an incident without accident/contact? I have such an incident saved from mine.

Moron in a mobile home, pulling a car, could not read/comprehend the 6! signs telling him that both lanes leading into a roundabout will exit from said roundabout to the M65. 5 of those signs were on the floor and one big RED one on approach. That's not counting the usual giant blue signs telling you which lanes go where. Said moron stayed in right hand lane overtaking me. I deliberately kept well under the limit when he stayed right, as I could tell he was about to do something stupidly dangerous, allowing him to overtake. He didn't bother finishing the overtake but barrelled from the right hand lane in the roundabout to my left hand lane while exiting, forcing me to slam on the brakes coming to a complete stop in the roundabout.

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, peniole said:

How does one exactly report an incident without accident/contact? I have such an incident saved from mine.

Quite a few Forces have a "Shop someone driving like a tw*t" website. I've seen videos from such on Twitter showing dashcam footage followed by the penalty which the offender received. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, peniole said:

The incident you describe is all too common. I think it falls under the category of ‘Driving without Due Care and Attention’.

We have a roundabout on a dual carriageway near us where we have recorded several incidences of cars approaching in the left lane and then cutting across without warning to turn right.

What is particularly galling in your case is that the offender probably drove on blissfully unaware that it was your good driving that averted an accident.

In my case, I first had to identify which Police Authority was responsible for that area.  I did this by contacting my local Police who gave me the relevant details.  I called them and was put through to their Traffic Police.

As soon as I described the incident and my video evidence, they were very enthusiastic.   A PC contacted me to send the inevitable paperwork, which I returned with a memory stick with the video files.  He then kept me informed of his efforts to  catch the driver at home (3)  and the issuing of a Police Caution after this individual admitted the offence.

The PC finally called me to detail the encounter and asked if I was satisfied with that outcome - or did I wish to take it further?  In fact, I thought that was satisfactory as the offender was quite shocked and might well in future consider that the next car he deliberately endangers might well also have a camera!

So it was a bit long winded, but perseverance paid off.  

However, I think matters may have changed.  If you know the Police Authority involved, then visit their website.  Many Forces are now actively soliciting video files of bad driving.  After all, it can be a virtually certain conviction and enhances their detection stats!

So good luck.

You could even post it here, I expect!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, peniole said:

Moron in a mobile home, pulling a car, could not read/comprehend the 6! signs telling him that both lanes leading into a roundabout will exit from said roundabout to the M65. 5 of those signs were on the floor and one big RED one on approach. That's not counting the usual giant blue signs telling you which lanes go where. Said moron stayed in right hand lane overtaking me. I deliberately kept well under the limit when he stayed right, as I could tell he was about to do something stupidly dangerous, allowing him to overtake. He didn't bother finishing the overtake but barrelled from the right hand lane in the roundabout to my left hand lane while exiting, forcing me to slam on the brakes coming to a complete stop in the roundabout.

An incident does not have to include a collision or contact or accident, just report what it was you saw and which is recorded on your dashcam.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Mincey said:

Quite a few Forces have a "Shop someone driving like a tw*t" website. I've seen videos from such on Twitter showing dashcam footage followed by the penalty which the offender received. 

Well remembered, James.  Yes, the incident Peniole describes is perfect for Operation Snap.

Again it should be accessible from the website of the Police Authority involved.  There is a online form for the incident details, and a facility for downloading the video files.

I don’t know if all Forces are operating the scheme and it does only cover a restricted list of offences.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, peniole said:

Assuming said occurence happened in Lancashire:

https://www.lancashire.police.uk/op-snap-public-submission-of-dashcam-footage-faqs/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Herbie said:

You assume correctly. Thank you for the link Herbs and all for responding. I haven't figured out video editing yet, files are too big and long. Next on my to do list. In the meantime 3 image captures of it. First showing me heading to the left hand lane, he's further back but remaining in the right, and the first of many signs. Second is him mid-overtake mid-roundabout and yet another painted lane sign. Third is culmination of his stupidity.

Capture.PNG

Capture 2.PNG

Capture 3.PNG

• Sad 2

14 minutes ago, peniole said:

You assume correctly. Thank you for the link Herbs and all for responding. I haven't figured out video editing yet, files are too big and long. Next on my to do list. In the meantime 3 image captures of it. First showing me heading to the left hand lane, he's further back but remaining in the right, and the first of many signs. Second is him mid-overtake mid-roundabout and yet another painted lane sign. Third is culmination of his stupidity.

Capture.PNG

Capture 2.PNG

Capture 3.PNG

I would have thought you might well have a case.  It does look like the rig, which could have stayed in the right-hand lane, has cut across in front of you and forced you over to the grass verge to avoid a collision.  And got a two-thumb action on the horn for their pains!

One comment on editing files.  I would expect the Police to want the files unedited.  Evidence of tampering with the video may make it inadmissible.

Good luck with it.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LenT said:

I would have thought you might well have a case.  It does look like the rig, which could have stayed in the right-hand lane, has cut across in front of you and forced you over to the grass verge to avoid a collision.  And got a two-thumb action on the horn for their pains!

One comment on editing files.  I would expect the Police to want the files unedited.  Evidence of tampering with the video may make it inadmissible.

Good luck with it.

It appears that a second vehicle may have cut across,but I do not know that stretch of road and I would ask "why is the driver of the car which has the camera located within it, so far left on the road ?"

11 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

It appears that a second vehicle may have cut across,but I do not know that stretch of road and I would ask "why is the driver of the car which has the camera located within it, so far left on the road ?"

Here's what that section looks like on google street view...along with the approach. Link to the street view below too.

There's wasn't a third lane for him to be pushed over if that's what you mean? Unless you mean the white hatchback behind the motor-home? If the latter he was towing that vehicle behind him.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.8538635,-2.1912478,3a,75y,300.17h,88.26t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1smOHm1JwVQG_mhVAXSCaf2w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Capture 4.PNG

Capture5.PNG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, peniole said:

Capture.PNG

Capture 2.PNG

Capture 3.PNG

The dreaded Boundary Mill roundabout! Incidents are worse since they made the left hand lane for turning left only coming off the motorway. I've been forced to go into the Boundary Mill to avoid being side swiped, that's in addition to the wife forcing me to go to Boundary mill for shopping, He he.

• Haha 1

On 6/17/2022 at 10:10 PM, STE041 said:

The A pillar clip looks like it isn’t attached to the trim on the second pic. If they left the trim in that state demand a new trim. If this trim is removed, there is a clip at the top and bottom of the pillar with a retaining clip in the middle. I fitted my own Nextbase 522, it looks like the installer either man handled the trim off or got unlucky when removing it. Should be an easy while you wait fix back at the dealer.

So far it has been a case of overpromising and underdelivering. They came out as they said they would. They admitted their tech had clearly broken the clip and a new part would need to be ordered. 

I was told it would be in on the following Tuesday, I had heard nothing by Wednesday lunchtime so gave them a call. I had the promise of a call back by midday Thursday. It felt as if the call handler couldn't wait to get me off the phone and they were working in an incredibly noisy call centre. No call back, so on Friday I called them only to be told the part still isn't in and they would call me when it is. I'm going to give them another couple of weeks, if nothing back by then they'll be getting told Glasgow Lexus will be fixing it and they can cough up the cost. As the car is due in for a service at the start of August anyway. 

Incredibly disappointed by the service so far from RS Connect. 

• Sad 1

On 7/2/2022 at 8:13 PM, LenT said:

Sorry I can’t help with connectivity problem - it’s a bit of a mystery to me too.

But in case I haven’t mentioned it before - and you haven’t yet set it up - get Parking Mode activated.  Your car is as much at risk when it’s parked and the ignition is off.

Turns out now there are two different Nextbase Apps on apple Store !

Got the right version and now

1) Was able to connect to the dashcam.

2) Enable the Parking Mode as well.

Now the question is, how do I actually test the Parking Mode ? I tried to rock the car but didn't see any sign of life on the front or rear dash cam.

--E

31 minutes ago, e-yes said:

Now the question is, how do I actually test the Parking Mode ? I tried to rock the car but didn't see any sign of life on the front or rear dash cam.

If it’s similar to my Blackvue, then it’s a case of going into the ‘Settings’ program of the camera and looking for the ‘Sensitivity’ settings.

These enable you to adjust the degree of three dimensional displacement that will activate the camera.  I do get an audible warning ‘ding’ when encountering a pothole, for example.

It may also have a motion detecting system that will start recording if there’s activity close to the cameras.  It’s possible that you may only detect these responses when you play back the video.  This requires the Parking Mode on.

It does result, in my case for example, in collecting hours of other shoppers  walking around car parks.  Still, you never know when one might bash a shopping trolley into a door!

Well done in getting the connectivity sorted out.  

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links