Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LED Upgrades

Lexiguy

With reading so much about problems relating to upgrading bulbs to LED I was apprehensive about the result despite using canbus bulbs.

Today I fitted LED's to rear number plate lamps and reverse lights which look awesome. Downside was the LED's I fitted to the rear fog lights were poor up to original bulbs so I am going to order and try some 20210829_141354.thumb.jpg.7fc218c16a72812bd7e3b42b4c148eb3.jpgred ones which might improve matters!

• Like 1

You’re right to be weary, the quality and reliability vary a lot from poor fitting into the bulb holders to flickering and my experience resulted in a blown integration relay for the interior lights as one short circuited! (At least the car didn’t go up in flames).

Put it this way I doubt they are made in a UK factory to British Standards specification by skilled workers.

• Like 1

20210901_164633.thumb.jpg.6c765226ca7f0b0d98818c0317c7c121.jpgI have replaced the vanity mirror illumination bulbs with LED's. They look brilliant but they are a festoon bulb and the only alternative I could find was a greater diameter so cause a slight lump in the plastic covers (unnoticeable to most people...tested on Claire).

• 3 weeks later...

I have fitted LED replacement rear flasher bulbs to the rear and despite being the best quality canbus etc etc they needed resistors fitting to stop all indicators flashing rapidly.

I feel the exercise was worth it they certainly have a more modern look to the light being omitted.

On 9/2/2021 at 5:37 PM, Lexiguy said:

20210901_164633.thumb.jpg.6c765226ca7f0b0d98818c0317c7c121.jpgI have replaced the vanity mirror illumination bulbs with LED's. They look brilliant but they are a festoon bulb and the only alternative I could find was a greater diameter so cause a slight lump in the plastic covers (unnoticeable to most people...tested on Claire).

Just be careful if they are touching the covers as they still produce some heat which could distort or burn them.

• Like 2

Thanks Steve I thought about that and after a good 5 mins was not hot so I think they are ok.  Fortunately the mirrors are only opened for short spells but still looking for LED's in the correct size if anyone has a link 

• 2 weeks later...

After watching several utube clips I plucked up the courage and pulled my car into the garage to upgrade the main beam bulb, sidelight bulb and the front foglight bulbs with LED's.
I had replaced the os main beam and sidelight bulbs the previous day and this was done by removing the air filter box. No such luck on the ns because the box which houses the ecu is on that side and I did not feel confident to remove that!

20211001_163247.thumb.jpg.18b283132edf15d8ef5a5bbf5aef610f.jpg

I enlisted the help of one of my neighbours who is a fellow petrolhead and between us the process required the full removal of the bumper mainly to allow access to replace the foglight bulbs. I could also remove a fly which had decides to expire in the nearside headlight!
The removal and refit of the bumper went well, just many screws, bolts and clips to remember where they went.
The result looked really good and improved the power of the lights. No error codes or any other problems encountered.

20211002_154644.thumb.jpg.2c3891b04e1fe90fb9036443ac943ab4.jpg20211002_165254.thumb.jpg.1f75f215ffb56e8b2e2c011383f5c222.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How difficult is it to remove front bumper?

I am having paintwork done shortly and bumper will be removed, garage said if I get the bulbs they will fit whilst bumpers off, but tbh all my bulbs are perfect, lastly should I fit new ballasts as well, many thanks LH

Hi Stewart

There is a great utube video of a guy replacing his zenons and partially removing the bumper to gain access. Included is step by step guide which I copied from the tv and found accurate and easy to follow. I had to fully remove the bumper but that was an easy further step and was only required to renew the fog light bulbs.

20211001_121041.thumb.jpg.5fb3949fd3e9d1258ee6e5702af25a8b.jpg

You obviously know how inaccessible the headlight bulbs and ballasts are but it is expensive to do a full bulb upgrade including ballasts.

I wanted to improve the light quality with my upgrade but I left the zenons and ballasts as they were.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Anthony 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for reply car is not going in till 15 Nov and just thought might get them done, would certainly like brighter front fogs, just replaced rear parking sensors, and all rear light's  are easy to remove! As  bulbs are pretty much consumables I cannot  understand why the fronts are so difficult to access👍

• 4 weeks later...

22 minutes ago, Lexiguy said:

I used reverse polarity bulbs as I have read about problems on the Internet people have experienced if not used.

I'm not sure what a "reverse polarity" bulb is, but all LEDs are polarity conscious. LED stands for Light Emitting Diode and all diodes only allow current to flow in one direction - if you plug them in the wrong way, ie, with reversed polarity, they won't light up.

50 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

Wife say they look awful and make the comfortable car look like an operation room on a hospital so was told to reverse.

Must admit that she is right.

All depends on age, I think.

I've reached that stage in life where I need all the light I can get, so they're perfect for me; I love the clinical white, makes things so much easier.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

Also replaced interior lamps with LED and they sure are brighter.

Wife say they look awful and make the comfortable car look like an operation room on a hospital so was told to reverse.

Must admit that she is right.

Hi Las Palmas

Yes they are quite clinical and modern and certainly not to everyone's taste but I have had approval from my other half mind you she is 15 years younger than me...lol!

9 hours ago, Herbie said:

I'm not sure what a "reverse polarity" bulb is, but all LEDs are polarity conscious. LED stands for Light Emitting Diode and all diodes only allow current to flow in one direction - if you plug them in the wrong way, ie, with reversed polarity, they won't light up.

I'm not sure either but I followed recommendations, bought them from eBay and they fitted well, worked instantly so that was win win in my book!

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2023 at 2:03 PM, RBard said:

Replaced all the interior bulbs with LEDs except the footwells.  Has anyone replaced those?   They have a very small bulb that appears to be all part of the entire unit.  I cannot remove the bulb. 

Hi there

I got to exactly the samecposition as you but due to my poor contortionist skills I only managed to remove the lens but found myself unable to get the bulb out.

Anthony

• 5 weeks later...

Hello fellow SC430 owners. I'm just an SC430 owner snooping the internet. The footwell lights are T5 LED and not T10. You will need needle nose pliers to pull out the old bulb. The base matters a lot. I originally did a plastic base and resembled the halogen base. Problem was it was a tiny bit wider so I had to trim it up. I did a rough job so the light eventually blew. I ended up buying a base that looked like a chip and it worked well. I hope this helps. 

• Like 1