Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Changing my cats for sports cats

Guest bigbullhead

Guest bigbullhead

What’s everyone’s view on sports cats and what are the sizes I need I am looking for an increase in the rumble rather than going full exhaust while generally it’s in good conditions

On 8/30/2021 at 11:03 AM, bigbullhead said:

What’s everyone’s view on sports cats and what are the sizes I need I am looking for an increase in the rumble rather than going full exhaust while generally it’s in good conditions

I am due a secondary de-cat. We have 4 on IS250s.

1 on each header and then 2 in the Y-pipe. The secondary (Y-pipe) cats are a good mod in terms of tiny bit of sound and torque. Pulls better without it and still passes MOT if tested HOT. However, if you have a stock exhaust system, removing those 2 cats is not going to make a huge difference Matt. I've got HKS axle back and I think that might just give you the rumble you're after. It sounds really good in my opinion. Tame, nothing annoying. Doesn't drone either and only comes to life under load and you hear the change of tone between 2,5k-3k 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bigbullhead said:

Cheers for the reply I will look into it 

High-flow cats will not make enough of a difference to otherwise standard car to justify the costs in my opinion.

Guest bigbullhead

So just an axle back kit, is there any sensors in that section I need to worry about with that set up and is there plenty of room for the tails

13 minutes ago, bigbullhead said:

So just an axle back kit, is there any sensors in that section I need to worry about with that set up and is there plenty of room for the tails

No sensors that far back. 

Straight bolt on. Plenty of room. It's made for the  car 🙂 

@H3XME Do you do much highway driving? Same as you, I also have the IS250 M/T (great car) and I got a magnaflow stainless steel exhaust from the US. I get horrible drone at 2500-3000rpm though. I never notice it driving in London, but as soon as I get onto the motorway it gets tiring very fast.

Potentially interested in switching to the HKS if that's much better? Isn't HKS the same as what Lexus used for their 'F-sport' aftermarket exhaust in the US?

3 minutes ago, AFlex said:

@H3XME Do you do much highway driving? Same as you, I also have the IS250 M/T (great car) and I got a magnaflow stainless steel exhaust from the US. I get horrible drone at 2500-3000rpm though. I never notice it driving in London, but as soon as I get onto the motorway it gets tiring very fast.

Potentially interested in switching to the HKS if that's much better? Isn't HKS the same as what Lexus used for their 'F-sport' aftermarket exhaust in the US?

Yeah I do actually. You hear the exhaust when it's under load around 2500-3000rpm, but just cruising on the motorway with cruise control at 70mph gets you like 2.8k rpm? It's fine, quiet then. Only when you floor it in that range it's coming to life. F-Sport exhaust is not the same as HKS - you can see the backboxes are different shape & size. Judging from the video below, it's similar but difficult to tell which is louder. What I like about the HKS system is that if you want, you can drive quietly, during normal acceleration it's fairly quiet even between 2500-3000rpm. Like I said, it only really gets loud when you floor it in the range. 

Would be best to meet up and hear it in person.. 

4 minutes ago, H3XME said:

Yeah I do actually. You hear the exhaust when it's under load around 2500-3000rpm, but just cruising on the motorway with cruise control at 70mph gets you like 2.8k rpm? It's fine, quiet then. Only when you floor it in that range it's coming to life. F-Sport exhaust is not the same as HKS - you can see the backboxes are different shape & size. Judging from the video below, it's similar but difficult to tell which is louder. What I like about the HKS system is that if you want, you can drive quietly, during normal acceleration it's fairly quiet even between 2500-3000rpm. Like I said, it only really gets loud when you floor it in the range. 

Would be best to meet up and hear it in person.. 

Yeah agreed, sometimes it's hard to tell from the videos - only way is in person. The video above makes the fsport sound really loud but a lot of people had said it was quite a tame exhaust overall.

Also I've noticed the temperature / weather actually makes a difference too. Seems to be louder on cold winter days

5 minutes ago, AFlex said:

Yeah agreed, sometimes it's hard to tell from the videos - only way is in person. The video above makes the fsport sound really loud but a lot of people had said it was quite a tame exhaust overall.

Also I've noticed the temperature / weather actually makes a difference too. Seems to be louder on cold winter days

It really is. I feel like the HKS might be a bit quieter but more throaty / deeper tone. That F-Sport exhaust sounded quite raspy in a couple of clips.. 

That's just sound in general, sound waves travel slower when it's cold so stuff is louder - not just exhausts.

• 1 month later...
On 9/1/2021 at 2:05 PM, H3XME said:

I am due a secondary de-cat. We have 4 on IS250s.

1 on each header and then 2 in the Y-pipe. The secondary (Y-pipe) cats are a good mod in terms of tiny bit of sound and torque. Pulls better without it and still passes MOT if tested HOT. However, if you have a stock exhaust system, removing those 2 cats is not going to make a huge difference Matt. I've got HKS axle back and I think that might just give you the rumble you're after. It sounds really good in my opinion. Tame, nothing annoying. Doesn't drone either and only comes to life under load and you hear the change of tone between 2,5k-3k 

I am looking at getting this exhaust following your suggestion and the cheapest i saw is £750, is that more or less the right price?

Did you get it in the UK or imported?

Cheers

17 minutes ago, JavierHG said:

I am looking at getting this exhaust following your suggestion and the cheapest i saw is £750, is that more or less the right price?

Did you get it in the UK or imported?

Cheers

Yeah thats about right with some discount. I got in the UK. You can buy it here with a discount coupon "TYPB10" 

https://www.part-box.com/product/32003-bt002-hks-hi-power-409-exhaust-system-lexus-is250/