Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Pondering IS300h To RCF Upgrade

Guys, need some help. I'm currently a proud owner of an IS300h for several years now, but as much as I love my IS, I'm always wanting for more performance! And my biggest problem is having a serious man crush on the RCF and want one really badly. This crush only gets worse as I see prices go down on used ones, and this being the last few years to enjoy a V8 before our horrible government makes it impossible to own one! However, I'm really torn as I also love the great fuel economy and practically of the IS.

Has anyone here taken the plunge from an IS/RC300h? Am I deluding myself and won't really appreciate the extra performance 90% of the time in mixed/city driving? Will I miss the fuel economy benefits (i.e range)? Anyone regret buying an RCF?

Appreciate any thoughts you have guys, thanks!

It is not just performance; there is the noise too, and the quiet satisfaction that comes from knowing you have one of the last N/A V8s on the road.

I can easily do 380 miles on a long run, with a best of 420. What range does the 300h give?

Go on do it; you know you want to

• Thanks 1

I went from a CT to my GS F, never looked back. You will get mid 20's MPG on average driving, crusing I have had 36. Can't comment on practicality but I wouldn't say the RC is void of space. Also agree with the remarks above, N/A V8 is a dying breed and the sound still makes me all giggly 3 years down the line!!!

I think the modest 400hp range is about right for road driving, I personally have no lust for these 600hp monsters that you definitely cannot appreciate 90% of the time.

Lets put it this way, you can always buy another hybrid... but as you hinted at, days may be numbered on the V8 front 😉

• Like 1

As above really, it’s the noise and sense of occasion and not just the performance for me.  Mine averages about 16-18 mpg for my daily commute but it can easily do over 30mpg on a run. However it’s not really the right car if MPG is a concern. 

Id say go for it. As you have noted, there isn’t much time left to own a V8. You can worry about economy when we are all driving BEVs. 

26 minutes ago, hockeyedwards said:

I went from a CT to my GS F, never looked back.

That is some upgrade 🙂

David, you obviously have the means and the desire, so if not now, then when?  If fuel consumption is your only concern then it is an easy choice as far as I am concerned.

30 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

That is some upgrade 🙂

Was buying a house so went all out eco for a bit, then through a string of good luck, company policy changes and competitors increasing their salaries, I received 3 raises in the space of 8 months, the eco route soon went out the window! 😂

You know when you go out for dinner and you see the aged rib eye ? 

You talk yourself out of it and go for the sirloin instead as it's a bigger cut and cheaper. As you chew your steak a tear slowly builds up in your eye and starts to drip as you long for the rib eye and should of just taken the option.  This... This is why you should get the rcf. 

Look over the copious amounts of threads by the "F" owners... You will see not a single person complain about economy. Not a single person saying they wish they bought a hybrid instead. 

Get your finances in line, and book your test drive. You'll buy it once your done. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the great replies everyone much appreciated!

I can get up to 550-600 miles out if a full tank in warmer weather, but I hardly ever fill up a full tank. So 400 miles range in an RCF is just about enough I'd say for a short daily commuting.

Yes the noise is the other main thing that attracts me to any V8 car, just love it.

I think you've all just moved me one step closer to my RCF dreams, that and my growing distain for EVs, which I'm no longer convinced by!! Now I just need to find one close enough for a test drive 🙂 thanks all

1 hour ago, LordByronUK said:

So 400 miles range in an RCF is just about enough I'd say for a short daily commuting.

You won't get 400 miles range in the RC F. Expect 280 miles, anything more is a bonus. If economy is any sort of concern you shouldn't be thinking of an F.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, LordByronUK said:

Thanks for all the great replies everyone much appreciated!

I can get up to 550-600 miles out if a full tank in warmer weather, but I hardly ever fill up a full tank. So 400 miles range in an RCF is just about enough I'd say for a short daily commuting.

Yes the noise is the other main thing that attracts me to any V8 car, just love it.

I think you've all just moved me one step closer to my RCF dreams, that and my growing distain for EVs, which I'm no longer convinced by!! Now I just need to find one close enough for a test drive 🙂 thanks all

Add pics once you've bought one 😛

You will need a lot more time to wash it - people keep stopping to chat about the car!

A neighbour told me recently that someone was taking pictures of it - hopefully, for the right reasons.

It looks stunning (inside and out) and the sound is awesome.  Performance is great too!

As mentioned prior , once you own one be prepared to spent lots of time explaining to ppl what it is… nearly 3 yrs into ownership and I’m still explaining to ppl what it is 👍🏻
ohh and wash and polish it more times than I bath or shower🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 

I came from a LS600HL to a RCF and still to this day look back numerous times after I leave car…

best motor I’ve ever owned 

rear seatings not too great for passengers on long journeys but I hate passengers so don’t take any 😂 

thes buses n taxis for them 

these are my only rear seat passengers 🤣🤣🤣

9DCCCC5E-6519-46B3-869A-80342F27EBE1.jpeg

• Like 1

All I would say is be realistic on the MPG (you are going to get low 20's) and how many miles you do a year.

As long as you go into ownership with realistic expectations around fuel costs, expecially given current prices, then you will be fine. The main reason owners move on quickly is because they convince themselves they can drive carefully enough to nurse 30mpg 95% of the time and enjoy the occasional hoon. They fail and become uncomfortable with the fuel costs. It can be demoralising when £70 gets you 250 miles and relatively short journeys cost £10.

Other than that reliable, fast, unique, reasonable to service, fantastic motor...whats not to love!

2 hours ago, C.B said:

All I would say is be realistic on the MPG (you are going to get low 20's) and how many miles you do a year.

As long as you go into ownership with realistic expectations around fuel costs, expecially given current prices, then you will be fine. The main reason owners move on quickly is because they convince themselves they can drive carefully enough to nurse 30mpg 95% of the time and enjoy the occasional hoon. They fail and become uncomfortable with the fuel costs. It can be demoralising when £70 gets you 250 miles and relatively short journeys cost £10.

Other than that reliable, fast, unique, reasonable to service, fantastic motor...whats not to love!

I do loads of mileage and on long runs ie motorways dual carriageways i get a average between 30-35 mpg in and around town 17-19mpg on half decent runs out of town mix of dual and single roads 24-26…..

i will say this to everyone …if your concerned on mpg/fuel cost..dont be looking at any F or V8, these are cars that will drink fuel like a alcoholic if pottering around town/city streets,

past 2 1/2 of my RCF  ownership  I’ve done over 40k with this car, 

worse mpg I’ve ever had pottering around locally was 16mpg

best mpg was 35.6 on a 614ml journey mainly motorway/dual

340miles on average per tank on long journeys

I had a similar dilemma prior to buying my 2017 gsf in Jan 2020. I had a 2016 RX450H luxury which was a lovely car which I loved, but it began to niggle that there was something missing. I also own very powerful motorbikes and no car has been able to give anything approaching the buzz they give....until the GSF that is!! Sure it can't match the bikes in acceleration (few cars have sub 3 sec 0 -60) but the overall driving experience with the cornering capability, effortless pace and engine sound is  up there. 

If driving engagement and ownership satisfaction is high on your list, then go for it! Only you know your priority of that vs running costs....and the latter is highly dependent upon the use and annual miles you do. If you do a lot of short town runs an rcf will drink fuel.

On the other hand if you use it out of town on runs where the engine warms up then it is way better. I average 25mpg and 31 to 34mpg on a journey which amazes me for such a large engined car.

Remember it's not just fuel costs (remember super unleaded too) that increase, but servicing and consumables, particularly brake discs/pads.

I bought myself a 2007 Honda civic 1.8 petrol as a runabout and it has fantastic fuel economy. This to a large degree pays for itself not only fuel saving but also in the depreciation if the gsf...particularly in winter on salted roads. 

Like others, I have not looked back and my only thoughts are how long can I hang on to the gsf - potential repair costs beyond 10-11 years old. It's the only car I've had where I can't think of a replacement I'd rather own.

• Like 2

On 8/30/2021 at 11:40 AM, LordByronUK said:

Guys, need some help. I'm currently a proud owner of an IS300h for several years now, but as much as I love my IS, I'm always wanting for more performance! And my biggest problem is having a serious man crush on the RCF and want one really badly. This crush only gets worse as I see prices go down on used ones, and this being the last few years to enjoy a V8 before our horrible government makes it impossible to own one! However, I'm really torn as I also love the great fuel economy and practically of the IS.

Has anyone here taken the plunge from an IS/RC300h? Am I deluding myself and won't really appreciate the extra performance 90% of the time in mixed/city driving? Will I miss the fuel economy benefits (i.e range)? Anyone regret buying an RCF?

Appreciate any thoughts you have guys, thanks!

You need to test drive the RCF and see if it's for you. I recently got one and it took me a bit of time to adjust, coming from a Seat Leon 2.0 TSI (DSG) I was initially a bit disappointed by the sluggish feeling transmission and the engine didn't even feel like it had that much more power at first. If you test drive this car, sure spend your first few minutes puttering around in normal mode, but eventually you really have to "man up" and put the RCF in Sport S+ and manual shifting. That is when it truly comes alive and it is very very rapid and responsive. This car has a dual personality and I didn't understand at first.

Of course the other side of the dual personality is the cruiser/luxury part which you probably know all about from your IS, though the RCF might even be a bit nicer.

I've had my RCF for nearly 2 months now and the longer I own it the more I like it. Things like getting the seating position just right and getting a feel for how the transmission responds in different modes... basically the more familiar you get with the car the more you will start to work with rather than against it.

On 8/30/2021 at 4:08 PM, LordByronUK said:

So 400 miles range in an RCF is just about enough I'd say for a short daily commuting.

Ouch, sorry it's not even close, you cannot be optimistic with the fuel consumption as you will only be disappointed! I would say expect 250 miles to a tank with mixed driving, though it is possible to get 350 that would only be on a long run while driving efficiently. This car is a beast which drinks fuel, you have to accept that and factor it into your purchase decision.

• Like 1

I have owned my RCF for a year now and came from a really nice 2012 ISF. I think Rob RCF above in his post summed it all up very well.

I was a little unsure I had made the right decision at first in going to an RCF, it looked really good, but after a month or so I wasn't sure I would keep it long as it felt a bit sluggish at times, and not that responsive when really needed, it also felt a very big and wide car. I felt my ISF was much more instant, responsive and easier to driver fast and why wasn't the RCF the same?? Driving the RCF gently or commuting as a daily is fine and it feels a very good quality car for this and a nice refined place to be, but seems a bit wasted on this kind of driving. I hadn't really gelled with it on the more open road or when driving it much quicker, that took probably 3 or 4  months or so to gel with. Now I think the RCF is not sluggish at all and is very responsive, and a far more lively car than my ISF was, it is definitely quicker! Now I have gelled with the RCF I know exactly what gear to be in and what mode to use and how to drive it when pushing it. You do need to really drive it properly to get the best out of it and not be frightened to really rev it and use the paddles. The autobox gears selection and modes do take a little while to fully master how to drive the car quickly to get the best out of it for your situation. If you drive in full auto in normal mode and don't use the paddles you do get a slight lag in the autobox or a small hesitation in some situations when driving gently and then want to suddenly accelerate hard, but if you use sport or sport plus and do some manual shifts on the paddles the thing comes alive and it becomes a very responsive and quick car, actually a lot quicker that you realise. The car hides the speed very well with its refinement on good road surfaces. Poor road surfaces can give a stiff ride but still perfectly acceptable. In fact if you drive it a bit quicker it rides better on rough roads I think.

So the RCF drives very nicely and smooth if you want to take it easy, or turns into V8 monster when needed, it has two personalities for sure!

I agree on the tank range, i get 240 to 280 miles on a tank average with mostly 20 mile runs, and I have got 330 miles from a tank on a long run, but I dont drive that carefully with the throttle, I think I could do better than that if I really tried.

Now I have got used to the RCF I think it is brilliant and a fantastic GT car, totally awesome on longer journeys. Feels like it could go for ever, fast, comfy and a really nice place. You don't fully appreciate how good it is until you really get used to it and do some longer journeys in it. It is really quick when you know how to get the best out of it and you begin to really open it up with full confidence. Over all I am very very pleased with it and intended to keep it for a long time. There is nothing else quite like it. The interior, looks, very good reliable engine, rarity, driving experience,  and character of the car makes it a unique package and the fuel economy is very good for what it is. I would definitely recommend if you can live with a 2 door car and 250 miles from a tank.

• Like 3

Test drive, test drive and test drive.

There's a wide range to choose from in the 2 door coupe market but be mindful that regardless of most owners opinions, the Lexus F range are heavy old beasts, which impacts on economy and overall speed. The F range in general is very close speed wise because of the weight of each model and as for MPG, it's a 5.0 monster and the only good MPG you'll see is on long runs.

I could go on for hours about my experiences of RCF test drives, but I'd have nothing to compare that to in regards to an IS300h, the roads you travel, your driving style, family size, vehicle needs for day-to-day life, but I will say this........if you have a V8 itch that needs scratching, you won't go far wrong with any of the F range and I'm sure the RCF will put a smile on your face. The other positive to all this is that the prices of any of the F cars won't be plummeting any time soon, so if it's not for you after 6 months or so, you'll sell it on at a similar price.

I went with an ISF in the end for family reasons, the look of the car and the fact I like to 'play' with my cars. All of the F's are great platforms and even driving to just the shop feels like a real occasion. I looked at C63's, M4's, 911's and the like, but one thing that always set the Lexus apart was the feeling that she's rarely, if ever, going to let you down. You only have to skim through the pages on this section of the forum to see that there are not many reliability issues posted.

Go book a test drive and see how you feel, but I have a feeling you'll be addicted. There isn't anything out there I'd change my F for.

"Do it, do it, do it"....

I came from IS200 to IS250 to RCF and wow, never looked back.

As with others above, if you are concerned about economy, don't even bother. If your commute is motorway or 50/60 mph roads then it will be fine. But if it is 5 miles of local roads that takes 30 mins, forget it.

I love how rare these cars are. I get at least 1 person per week asking me what the car is.....Was just yesterday at the lights at the Blackwall Tunnel, driver of a brand new RR Sport shouted over to me....."Ooooooh what is that, dont seem them much", just before I let it rip in the tunnel like a little kid hehe.

A wolf in sheeps clothing.....Refined Lexus Luxury + monster performance when you want it.

• Like 3