Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyre sizes and changing over

RK1975

My car currently has 215/45 r17 tyres fitted and I'm wondering whether I can/should replace them with 205 size tyres?

The reasons are that I'm finding it hard to get same day (or even next day) replacements for my current size.  Also, I'm sure that when I bought the car (from a Lexus dealer), it had 205s fitted but can't remember.  When I took it to get the tyres replaced a year later, I noticed that MPG has been worse since.

On my last tyre change, I asked the fitter and he said it would look stupid and is not a good idea.

Anyone have opinions or experience?  Thanks in advance

Was just going to say the same,best to go with the recommended sizes as per handbook or label on door,however with most things as long as legal the choice is yours 

205/50/17 will be a few % too big.

195/50/17 is very close to original. Wide wheels, narrow tyres are good for track days. CT is not.

215/50/16 will be correct too, but you will need new wheels and not just tyres.

205/60/15 also, but ride will be quite a lot different. Soft yeah, steering precise like original - nay.

Factory know something about setting a car correct up.

We keep factory settings.

From Lexus handbook:

billede.thumb.png.a01dce66f0d1ab8ace7804136f28afd6.png

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses.  My manual has the same as las Palmas but I'm confused.

On the door label, it gives options for 215/45/R17 87W ( what I currently have) and 205/55/R16 91V.  Does that mean either of them can be fitted?  If not, how would I know which one is correct?  

The reason why this has come up is because I have Mitchellin Pro Sport 4s fitted in December last year.  There's still a fair bit of tread left in them (about 50%), but one of them has a nail puncture and probably needs replacing as opposed to a repair.  I'm loathe to spend £100 on one wheel when I'd be looking to replace them all in a few months, and I don't want to buy part worn.  So that leads me to think it may be worth switching all four to 205s as they are generally cheaper than 215s from what I can see and if I'm right in that they were fitted when I bought the car, provide better fuel economy...

Right now, I hate my car!  

42 minutes ago, RK1975 said:

On the door label, it gives options for 215/45/R17 87W ( what I currently have) and 205/55/R16 91V.  Does that mean either of them can be fitted?

Yes. Depending on the grade either of those wheel sizes may have been fitted to the vehicle - they don't use a specific label for each grade. The label on the door is for the recommended tyre pressures - you use the pressure(s) associated to the wheel/tyre option you have installed on your vehicle.

Obviously you cannot fit 16" tyres if you have 17" rims.

A nail puncture can be fixed and you do not need a new tyre because of that. Go to a pro tyre centre and have it repaired.

To get 205/55/16 you need new wheels and that is not cheap at all.

A nail puncture pro repaired can be driven till you need the tyre(s) replaced. Michelin are good but expensive. There are several good tyres that cost a lot less than Michelin.

We drive till all 4 tyres need to be replaced, but if the front or rear ones are close to finished, they can be replaced in pairs as long as you have same tyre on rear wheels or have seme on front wheels.  Not a Michelin on drivers’ side and a Pirelli on passenger side.

Hope you start liking your car again. A CT is a good car.

20 hours ago, RK1975 said:

When I took it to get the tyres replaced a year later, I noticed that MPG has been worse since.

I'm not surprised if you had Pilot Sport 4(s) tyres fitted - being ultra high-performance tyres I cannot really think of less suitable boots for the CT200h. In the Michelin world Primacy 4 or even CrossClimate+ would be much more suitable - quieter, more comfortable, better economy and probably better wear.

• Like 2