Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Member Seeking Advice

In 2 weeks time I pick up my 2021 NX300 Hybrid. I tow a Caravan 1344Kg and am aware the car can pull ip to 1500Kg. I have just discovered that the nose weight for the car is a measly 60Kg. To add to that a owner of a Leus informs me they are poor tow cars due to the CVT gearbox, would appreciate any views/experience.

There was another towcar test where the NX scored even higher. It was recommended in its class.

With regard to nose weight of a caravan this is recommended to be 5% of the loaded weight of a caravan. 5% of 1344kg is 67kg and I don’t think you’d notice much difference between 60 and 67 and I doubt this would make a difference or cause a problem if you did tow with a nose weight of 67kg. If you do load your caravan such that the nose weight is 5% of its laden weight, you’ll be fine.

• Like 1

I’ve towed caravans for about 6 years with all manner of tow cars. I was always careful about nose weights and measured this after every loading of the caravan. Never towed with my NX but I’m sure it would be a capable towcar.

My main concern is the nose weight found a section on Lexus website states 60Kg max and also states suitable for small Trailers Boats etc no mention of Caravans. So should I tow my Caravan at above their recommended weight would any warranty issues be void

How would they know? 5% of your caravan’s laden weight is 67kg so load it to be 67kg nose weight and don’t worry. When I was towing caravans a number of other manufacturers set artificially low max nose weight figures. I just always set mine to 5% of the estimated laden weight.

The dealer is just going to say maximum nose weight is 60kg and they’ll advise not to go above this.

I wouldn’t worry personally but if you are worried then you should consider another vehicle which would allow a higher nose weight.

• 1 month later...

Just to update this post we did a around trip of 170 miles towing our caravan. It went like a dream no lag on slopes, cruised at a nice safe 50mph no swaying with HGV's and returned around 30mpg.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Dave 2951 said:

Just to update this post we did a around trip of 170 miles towing our caravan. It went like a dream no lag on slopes, cruised at a nice safe 50mph no swaying with HGV's and returned around 30mpg.

Great news. Good to hear 😀

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links