Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS400 - Starter click???

BradLS

Hi Guys,

Car has been fine for a while, then every few weeks or if car has been left for over a week sitting, the starter will click a few times then fire into life?

Is the starter going? anything else to look at before attempting a starter replacement?

Cheers.

Brad

Hi Brad-

I had this on both a MKIII and a MKIV, and unfortunately both times I had to replace the starter. The problem is usually with the solenoid/plunger inside the starter itself, and while that part is cheap gaining access to it is difficult. You could try replacing the starter relay in the fuse box (as I did with my MKIII) in case it is that, but that cost me over £30 fifteen years ago and made no difference. 
I sincerely hope that you find an easy solution to the problem, but if that doesn’t work it’s worth paying out for a new or reconditioned starter as it’s not a job you’d want to do twice.

Best of luck,

Regards, Mark.

Just check your Battery terminals, I repaired my own starter motor and a few days later the click returned...turned out I had not fully tightened the Battery terminals and no problems since (around 12 years later.)

Good news is that you can still buy a repair kit, bad news is the removal and refitting....my back has never fully recovered.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BradLS said:

anything else to look at before attempting a starter replacement?

if you can, check with Lexus at the Centre that your specific Mk3 actually had the starter motor replaced under the recall Lexus did back in the day of " new "

Some missed the recall I understand and Lexus might feel honour bound to still carry out that recall most benefitted from ...  I know that mine did, Lexus told me when I enquired 10 years ago

Malc

• Like 1

Hey Guys,

I have just noticed both Battery terminals do turn when moving them, but they are at the tightest they can be, anyone know what replacements would work?

It's got worse over the past few days, does eventually start but does click a lot, hoping its just loose Battery terminals so looking to get them replaced 

Cheers!

Brad

• 2 weeks later...

maybe I'm old fashioned but it p***** me off a little when people can't be bothered to follow through and update on their Posts, especially when asked

Just seems a lack of modern day courtesy methinks :unsure:

Malc

• Thanks 1

On 9/1/2021 at 3:19 PM, BradLS said:

Hey Guys,

I have just noticed both battery terminals do turn when moving them, but they are at the tightest they can be, anyone know what replacements would work?

It's got worse over the past few days, does eventually start but does click a lot, hoping its just loose battery terminals so looking to get them replaced 

Cheers!

Brad

New Battery needed?

Winter draws on ...

• 2 months later...