Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Map update on a RX450h 2012 phase III

hi I have been trying to update my map to a newer version and could see on the MyLexus site (https://www.lexus.co.uk/my-lexus/dashboard/) that you should be able to do this but the option for the type of Multimedia for my Navi shown seem to be different and I cannot find the 'Connected Service' option and wondered if my car is too old to have a newer map or whether I am doing something wrong.  Any help given would be appreciated as I am still finding my way around my RX450h

If the navigation system is from a cd drive only Lexus can update it. Lexus is ridiculously expensive.

If you have the navigation on a SD or SD-micro card they can be found on eBay for less than 50€.

Somebody who know what navigation system is in your car will probably soon answer better than this.

8 hours ago, LG68 said:

hi I have been trying to update my map to a newer version and could see on the MyLexus site (https://www.lexus.co.uk/my-lexus/dashboard/) that you should be able to do this but the option for the type of Multimedia for my Navi shown seem to be different and I cannot find the 'Connected Service' option and wondered if my car is too old to have a newer map or whether I am doing something wrong.  Any help given would be appreciated as I am still finding my way around my RX450h

I had a 2011 RX450H and updated the maps from the 2011 to 2017.

It cost around £160 and is done at the dealers. It comes on a USB stick and takes around 2 hours to install.

I think the maps are updated every two years do possibly a 2021 version for yours now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, flookyk said:

It cost around £160 and is done at the dealers. It comes on a USB stick and takes around 2 hours to install.

I think the maps are updated every two years do possibly a 2021 version for yours now.

fantastic thank you

On 8/31/2021 at 6:59 AM, flookyk said:

Original quote for me was also around the £160 mark. However, see if you can get it done when you're getting the service sorted and/or other work and you're likely to get a further discount like I did :thumbsup:

Presumably Keith you aren’t given the stick? 

11 hours ago, Phil xxkr said:

Presumably Keith you aren’t given the stick? 

Thinking about it, yes I was.

I put it in with everything when I part exchanged that car last August.

I think from memory it comes with a code that applies to that USB stick in your particular car.

• Like 1

I find the satnav is one of the few disappointments with my RX and it is clear that many others feel the same.  Some of us have abandoned the clunky and as I experienced unreliable Lexus effort.  For what you pay for an update to the standard system you can buy a TomTom that will be more reliable with regular and free map updates and speed cameras.  Alternatively, you can use Google maps or Waze.  A suitable phone holder is quite cheap.

But chacun à son goût.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I enquired about the Nav update for my 2014 RX as the maps are from 2017 currently. The dealer said the latest maps are from 2019 and wasn't sure if that was because they were not updating them after 2019 or that delays from covid have stopped later maps. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, LexusRbest said:

I am about to take delivery of 66 plate RX450h ,could I use Waze on main screen instead for my navigation?

No, sadly not.

You would need Android Auto or apple Carplay for that and only cars from 2020 onwards can have that unless you go for a third-party device like a Grom V-line or like the one I fitted in my 2018 RX (details in the topic below).

You can, of course, use Waze on the phone but not on the main screen without the above.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a 2011 RX450H and updated the maps from the 2011 to 2017

Has the navigation experience improved after the update?

I’ve got an impression that the RX Mk3 navi system is so old, that the map update may not be worthwhile.

36 minutes ago, Vadim said:

I’ve got an impression that the RX Mk3 navi system is so old, that the map update may not be worthwhile.

Yes, that's basically true.

You may update the maps but they would still running on old clunky software/firmware because a map update doesn't also update the operating system.

• Sad 1

On 11/1/2021 at 11:26 AM, Vadim said:

It always got me to where I wanted to go and was quick to reroute you if you took a wrong turn.

A lot better than the Tom-tom that I used in the car I had before the Lexus which decided it no longer knew where it was and only now and again picked up the GPS signal.

The screen in the Lexus was a lot better than the TomTom at 10 inch ... now 12.3 in this 2017 RX I have now.

On 11/1/2021 at 11:26 AM, Vadim said:

For what it's worth Vadim I bought a silicone phone holder from eBay for less than a fiver and a long USB cord. Sits really well either in the display cubby hole or as I prefer on top of the drivers binnacle. I use a combination of Waze and Radarbot depending on circumstances both really effective and I particularly like the ability to user update for example if accidents are still on the hard shoulder. And of course take the details off line. 

On 11/7/2021 at 8:41 AM, Phil xxkr said:

For what it's worth Vadim I bought a silicone phone holder from ebay for less than a fiver and a long USB cord. Sits really well either in the display cubby hole or as I prefer on top of the drivers binnacle. I use a combination of Waze and Radarbot depending on circumstances both really effective and I particularly like the ability to user update for example if accidents are still on the hard shoulder. And of course take the details off line. 

+1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

How did you know the release year of your old maps?  Is there a screen that displays the map data date?  I've recently bought a 2012 rx450h and I don't know if the maps have ever been updated since the car was new.  

6 minutes ago, welland said:

How did you know the release year of your old maps?  Is there a screen that displays the map data date?  I've recently bought a 2012 rx450h and I don't know if the maps have ever been updated since the car was new.  

I would suggest that you try using the maps a bit first before spending money on an update. I tried and just couldn't get on with the inbuilt sat nav, and so have found it much easier to use Google maps/Waze/What3Words on my phone.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, welland said:

I haven't had the Gen3 RX for around 3 years now but from memory there is an information screen that tells you the MAP version etc.

If your came with the Navigation/Audio manual as mine did then it tells you in there.

• 5 months later...
On 8/31/2021 at 1:03 PM, stepheneric said:

I had the maps (5 Discs) updated on my 2013 Rx450 in early June with latest version 10/2020 cost £205.

Where exactly do the discs go? I know that the rx400h had a CD disc in the boot for sat nav, but I thought that the rx450h had moved away from CDs.  

Mine is a 2012 facelift rx450h and I "THINK" it has no CD for sat nav, and believe that the maps are updated with a usb stick.  

The online manual seems to be saying that I can update the map myself 

1) purchase the map on the Lexus website

2) download the map to my pc, then copy it to a usb stick.

3) plug the usb stick into the car and copy it onto the car.  

Trouble is, I'm getting stuck at step 1.  Lexus Cheltenham told me that they MUST SEE THE CAR in order to work out how it updates. This seems crazy: they must be able to check my vehicle details remotely to see what equipment it is fitted with! Then they will quote me for supply and install of map updates.