Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New IS250 owner and member and loving it!

Hi!

I just recently bought an IS250, after some very good advice from members of the community here. So big thanks to H3xME, scudney, Mr Vlad, mk_lon, Arnett, dublet, Vintagesixtysix, Texas, MartinH, Rabbers, Las Palmas, zoricib, Mincey,  Chris111, ColinBarber, J Henderson, DF-300 Sport, toffee_pie and everybody for all the help. :) 

I have had the car for a little over a week now. Loving it! 

It's my first Lexus and I'm quite impressed by how it drives and how well made it is. It's hard to believe it's as old as it is. No rattles, feels very tight and feels newer than some newer cars I have had.

The cars is loaded. I'm not sure how much of it were options, but I have the navigation system, cruise control, voice, seat heating and seat cooling, keyless entry, sunroof, headlight cleaners and a few other toys. Interior is very nice and feels really well made too.

Really love how the car drives. Somehow reminds me of Mercedes. But better. It feels well engineered too. It corners better than the Mercedes I have experience with and all together I really enjoy driving it. 

With all that, the car has a few areas which need attention. And I also have a few questions. So I would appreciate some help with these. :)

Here they are:

1. Do these cars have a LSD? Or open diff?
  2. While driving back, a 2 hours drive, I felt heat on one of my knees. Like there was a heater on where the buttons for the rear blind and headlight cleaners are. Touching that area felt warm as well. Is this normal?
  3. The rear blind is sticking in one side. Is this a common issue? Any easy fix, tricks or hacks to fix it?
  4. The boot somehow doesn't seem to close properly. It shuts but I can press on it and it gives. As if the rubber was too fat. I push on it and it bobs up and down. I'm guessing this is not normal? But the car has not been hit on the back.
  5. Can the drive range and the miles per gallon in the display be trusted?
  6. Looking at the quick start guide, there seems to be cars which came with a sunglasses holder with the dome light. Mine has that compartment sealed. So I guess it was an optional, which I find interesting as it's such a basic feature. But it seems the cover can be taken off and I think it would reveal the hole for the sunglass shelf. Can this be retrofitted? My sunglass is all over the place as it has no proper place. My last car had space for 2 sunglasses.
  7. I guess the compass in my mid review mirror is not working. If I press and hold the auto button it never comes ON. Or this was an option and not all cars have it?
  8. Does it need the highest octane petrol?

As you see, pretty minor stuff. Overall the car is in very good condition and I'm happy with the purchase. :) 

Thanks again!

• Like 5

My pleasure, the guys on this forum are great and highly knowledgeable! 

Quick questions - did you get an auto or manual? Was it the SEL spec? What's the mileage? 

With regards to the questions I can only answer number 2. That's not normal I'm afraid. 

Welcome to the family 

• Like 1

Congrats on the new Lexus, I've had my IS250 F Sport for around 9 months and its certainly has been a welcome upgrade from my Corsa! I'm not able to answer some of your questions but I'll try and provide as much info as I can. 

The sunglasses holder I believe was only for non UK spec vehicles like the US, as UK cars have the alarm / immobiliser fitted in that area so I don't think its worth you trying to retrofit anything into there.

I think I have experienced the seat getting warm at times but I can't easily reproduce do that so I'll do some investigating myself on that front. 

I'm not sure about your boot issue but like mine and the IS250C we got for my mum, it had worn out struts so it may be worth replacing these with some from SGS engineering to have the boot easily open.

In terms of the type of fuel the car needs, it will do fine on 95 which is the bare minimum in the UK as far as I'm aware . Depending on the year of your car (I believe yours is 2005 based on sig) you may occasionally benefit from using the higher octane fuel as pre 2009 IS250s suffered from carbon build up issues so those higher octane fuels with their additives do help with keeping the engine clean and will help prolong the life of the car and minimise issues. My car is a 2010 and I've not had an issue using Texaco Unleaded 95 fuel and the car seems to return 400ish miles of range depending on my drive style.

The range on the trip computer is somewhat misleading as it depends on how light your foot is but you can usually go off tank average. Cruise control at 70mph will easily return 40 to 43 mpg depending on your load so while the car isnt exactly economical its not bad for a 2.5L V6!

One thing worth doing in your car depending if it came with the NAVI system or not is upgrade the infotainment. I myself have a GROM VLINE2 in my car and while its not perfect, its getting me Wireless apple CarPlay in my car while preserving all the OEM functions so it does help modernise the car! 

• Like 1

Pretty sure the compass in the rear view mirror was only on US cars along with a garage door remote!

if you have the SE-L model then pretty much everything is standard apart from Sun(Moon)Roof, Infotainment system and Active Cruise Control.

your point 8. Normal unleaded was specified for this engine when released in 2006, and premium unleaded was not essential, But now Normal Unleaded is being sold with 10% ethanol added and this is Not compatible with a pre Sep 2007 IS250 so you should only use Premium Unleaded if yours is a pre Sep 2007 car.

• Like 1

@Lex_utor Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the family :) 

Re point 1 - they do have an LSD, but unsure which one i.e. open/locked it is - I know people swap them to toyota gt86 ones or similar - which may be locked diffs? but I'm not very sure on this. 

Re point 6 on the sunglasses - it's an US only option as the cars in UK (possibly Europe too) have some internal security stuff in there. I replaced the handle above the head (can't seem to remember what it's actually called now) with a cheap sunglasses holder and seems to be working great. It's a bit fiddly to install and it's not a perfect fit but it works great

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144061316986?hash=item218ab93f7a:g:lYcAAOSwWQNgtzSl

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lex_utor said:

Hi!

I just recently bought an IS250, after some very good advice from members of the community here. So big thanks to H3xME, scudney, Mr Vlad, mk_lon, Arnett, dublet, Vintagesixtysix, Texas, MartinH, Rabbers, Las Palmas, zoricib, Mincey,  Chris111, ColinBarber, J Henderson, DF-300 Sport, toffee_pie and everybody for all the help. 🙂

I have had the car for a little over a week now. Loving it! 

It's my first Lexus and I'm quite impressed by how it drives and how well made it is. It's hard to believe it's as old as it is. No rattles, feels very tight and feels newer than some newer cars I have had.

The cars is loaded. I'm not sure how much of it were options, but I have the navigation system, cruise control, voice, seat heating and seat cooling, keyless entry, sunroof, headlight cleaners and a few other toys. Interior is very nice and feels really well made too.

Really love how the car drives. Somehow reminds me of Mercedes. But better. It feels well engineered too. It corners better than the Mercedes I have experience with and all together I really enjoy driving it. 

With all that, the car has a few areas which need attention. And I also have a few questions. So I would appreciate some help with these. 🙂

Here they are:

1. Do these cars have a LSD? Or open diff?
  2. While driving back, a 2 hours drive, I felt heat on one of my knees. Like there was a heater on where the buttons for the rear blind and headlight cleaners are. Touching that area felt warm as well. Is this normal?
  3. The rear blind is sticking in one side. Is this a common issue? Any easy fix, tricks or hacks to fix it?
  4. The boot somehow doesn't seem to close properly. It shuts but I can press on it and it gives. As if the rubber was too fat. I push on it and it bobs up and down. I'm guessing this is not normal? But the car has not been hit on the back.
  5. Can the drive range and the miles per gallon in the display be trusted?
  6. Looking at the quick start guide, there seems to be cars which came with a sunglasses holder with the dome light. Mine has that compartment sealed. So I guess it was an optional, which I find interesting as it's such a basic feature. But it seems the cover can be taken off and I think it would reveal the hole for the sunglass shelf. Can this be retrofitted? My sunglass is all over the place as it has no proper place. My last car had space for 2 sunglasses.
  7. I guess the compass in my mid review mirror is not working. If I press and hold the auto button it never comes ON. Or this was an option and not all cars have it?
  8. Does it need the highest octane petrol?

As you see, pretty minor stuff. Overall the car is in very good condition and I'm happy with the purchase. 🙂

Thanks again!

I'm glad, but not surprised that you're enjoying it 😉

1. As far as I'm aware, all IS250s had Torsen LSD. Yes, GT86 Torsen LSD is a straight bolt on and with GT86's 4.1 final drive, you'll gain little bit better acceleration too. Auto IS250 has 3.7FD and Manual has 3.9. Best thing, put your wheels on the grass and floor it. If both wheels leave marks, it's LSD, but I'm 99% sure it will be LSD 🙂

2. I can't say I've never noticed that, might be something to do with your air con, is it on recirculation? It's a bit weird when it's on, but it makes sense. There's no new air going in - might make it feel warm if it's coming from the leg heater which is under the steering wheel.

3. No idea - I don't have that one, but my mate's working fine, so just check it out and maybe spray some WD40 on it 😂

4. Again, no experience with this, might just be a worn rubber seal, mine shuts fine.

5. You have to take it with a pinch of salt. I don't even look at it anymore. Generally. When the fuel light comes on you have around 30miles left to empty according to the display, but I can get a minimum of 20miles from the point of it saying 0 miles to empty, so from the moment the fuel light comes on, you have 50miles or so. I never ran it to empty but when I did 23miles on "0 miles to empty" and filled up to full, I still had 3 litres left in the tank. Make sure you reset AVG MPG after you fill up. Just hold the display button down for 3-5s.

6. No idea - I've got the same issue. I've never seen it on an UK car, it might be something you can order from USA cars. Don't see why it should be a problem to retrofit it though.

7. I believe it was an option as mine doesn't have it, but my friends Facelift has it - also has the auto-dimming rear view mirror.

8. I believe the fuel cap says 95oct+, I run mine on 99Oct. Just make sure your car can use the new E10 fuel they introduced, but I'm not sure what it's like outside of the UK. Here, IS250 made between 2005 and September 2007 are not compatible with E10.

• Like 1

Hi and welcome I'm glad you are pleased with your IS 250 they are a great car and wear their age very well, so you should have many more miles ahead of you if the routine maintenance, which is well covered on this forum is carried out

With regard to the diff ,as far as I am aware ,LSD was not fitted ;if you check the build codes on the label on the passenger door post Trans/axle code ends in B03A =open  B03B=LSD

Dave

• Like 3

Hi Lex and well done on your purchase. I think most if not all your questions have been answered. Re the boot. With the boot open look at the area where it locks into. You will see the metal retaining loop. Either side of that a plastic flap which is spring loaded. Check those plastic pieces and that there are two and when you press down on them they should spring back up. There has been 1 or 2 cases where one of the plastic pieces broke off and that caused a problem shutting the boot lid. Cure was to clear the space where the metal ring and plastic pieces are of debris and problem cured.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zoricib said:

@Lex_utor Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the family :) 

Re point 1 - they do have an LSD, but unsure which one i.e. open/locked it is - I know people swap them to toyota gt86 ones or similar - which may be locked diffs? but I'm not very sure on this. 

Re point 6 on the sunglasses - it's an US only option as the cars in UK (possibly Europe too) have some internal security stuff in there. I replaced the handle above the head (can't seem to remember what it's actually called now) with a cheap sunglasses holder and seems to be working great. It's a bit fiddly to install and it's not a perfect fit but it works great

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144061316986?hash=item218ab93f7a:g:lYcAAOSwWQNgtzSl

Or eBay 144172627546  image.thumb.jpg.f2cc8fefa1b20907116c699c9a14a083.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.0c043e33a4b2a4d14581748ab76c7b35.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lex_utor said:

Thanks a bunch for all the good wishes everybody. And thanks also for the tips and answers to the questions. I will check back in the car and report back here. 🙂

We have to see some pics of the car too 🙂

The only issue I have had with my IS250 is that I have the most basic one. I don't have any parking sensors and reverse cam unit and would like the radar control system as well. Other than that its great.

3 hours ago, Ozzay said:

The only issue I have had with my IS250 is that I have the most basic one. I don't have any parking sensors and reverse cam unit and would like the radar control system as well. Other than that its great.

You could get one of those android head units fitted in and combine that with 360 parking cameras. This was an option I consisted but it was tricky finding some something compatible with the existing NAVI so I opted for a GROM.

Few possibilities

£155.46  40% Off | Carplay+Auto Android 11 6+128G For Lexus IS IS250 IS300 IS350 2005-2011 Car Radio Stereo Multimedia Player GPS Navigation 4G Lte
https://a.aliexpress.com/_uzZN3M

£118.21  42% Off | Car Radio Android 10.0 10.1'' DVD Player For Lexus IS250 IS300 IS200 IS220 IS350 2005-2012 Stereo 2 Din Head Unit GPS Navigation
https://a.aliexpress.com/_vCx082

£181.77  3% Off | Car AHD 3D 360 degree Camera Driving Panorama Recorder Bird View Parking Front Rear Side DVR Kit For Toyota Prado 2016-2020
https://a.aliexpress.com/_vcpXnM

• Like 1

Congrats on the purchase, we told you so 👌

As for LSD, its a complicated part or can be as there are many types -Torsen, Viscous, open etc..  

A Torsen LSD should spin one wheel in the opposite direction if they are both off the ground, or at least my Subaru does

On 8/31/2021 at 11:54 AM, true blue said:

Hi and welcome I'm glad you are pleased with your IS 250 they are a great car and wear their age very well, so you should have many more miles ahead of you if the routine maintenance, which is well covered on this forum is carried out

With regard to the diff ,as far as I am aware ,LSD was not fitted ;if you check the build codes on the label on the passenger door post Trans/axle code ends in B03A =open  B03B=LSD

Dave

I think it probably has an open diff, so not a true LSD

43 minutes ago, toffee_pie said:

I think it probably has an open diff, so not a true LSD

If it's an open diff it's not an lsd at all. Open differential doesn't allow for Limited Slip. 
Basically, Do everyone a favour and just do a burnout. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, H3XME said:

If it's an open diff it's not an lsd at all. Open differential doesn't allow for Limited Slip. 
Basically, Do everyone a favour and just do a burnout. 

well that's what I meant, I am sure its an open type that is used, My Subaru has a real LSD and boy do you know when you drive it - even the ISF has only an e diff up until 2011 or something when they fitted a Torsen one so I doubt the IS250 has anything

1 hour ago, toffee_pie said:

well that's what I meant, I am sure its an open type that is used, My Subaru has a real LSD and boy do you know when you drive it - even the ISF has only an e diff up until 2011 or something when they fitted a Torsen one so I doubt the IS250 has anything

My 250 has a factory torsen. It drifts and does burnouts 😉

4 minutes ago, H3XME said:

My 250 has a factory torsen. It drifts and does burnouts 😉

F Sport? probably an optional upgrade then, No burn outs on my Scoobie, rather hard with Permanent AWD and 50:50 split!

Just now, toffee_pie said:

F Sport? probably an optional upgrade then, No burn outs on my Scoobie, rather hard with Permanent AWD and 50:50 split!

Nope. Just an SE-L (I think? Leather, sat nav, camera, M&L audio etc) & manual gearbox. I have 3 close friends with automatic 250s and they all have a torsen lsd too.. This torsen is the same unit as the one in the BRZ/GT86. 

37 minutes ago, H3XME said:

Nope. Just an SE-L (I think? Leather, sat nav, camera, M&L audio etc) & manual gearbox. I have 3 close friends with automatic 250s and they all have a torsen lsd too.. This torsen is the same unit as the one in the BRZ/GT86. 

I had a SE-L with the manual, once upon a time

20 hours ago, McShmoopy said:

You could get one of those android head units fitted in and combine that with 360 parking cameras. This was an option I consisted but it was tricky finding some something compatible with the existing NAVI so I opted for a GROM.

Few possibilities

£155.46  40% Off | Carplay+Auto Android 11 6+128G For Lexus IS IS250 IS300 IS350 2005-2011 Car Radio Stereo Multimedia Player GPS Navigation 4G Lte
https://a.aliexpress.com/_uzZN3M

£118.21  42% Off | Car Radio Android 10.0 10.1'' DVD Player For Lexus IS250 IS300 IS200 IS220 IS350 2005-2012 Stereo 2 Din Head Unit GPS Navigation
https://a.aliexpress.com/_vCx082

£181.77  3% Off | Car AHD 3D 360 degree Camera Driving Panorama Recorder Bird View Parking Front Rear Side DVR Kit For Toyota Prado 2016-2020
https://a.aliexpress.com/_vcpXnM

Thanks I will have a look at this. I don't actually need the sensors but they do come in handy.

Congratulations on your new car OP. The IS 250 is a great car. 

2. In the 8 years that I owned our IS250, the blind got stuck on one side once and never again. Very random.

7.  I had both a 2007 and 2011 SE-L. Both had the auto dimming function but neither had a compass. This wasn’t available for the UK market even as an option.